Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 01:43 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farquis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can't the administrators make it so you can't post images unless you have 250 posts or whatnot? Or, removes images altogether unless otherwise given access to by mods?
The 250 thing could end making him spam 250 pointless posts and then have at it. But requiring images to go via moderators first could be a good solution. I don't think there is all that much need here for pictures so it hopefully wouldn't be too big a task to manage. Maybe.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:54 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by batkiller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The 250 thing could end making him spam 250 pointless posts and then have at it.
You say that like it's a bad thing; this would make it easier to spot a new joiner as the spammer, and a delay time between posts and the above suggestion would create more hoops to jump through which may cause the idiot to get bored quicker and move on.

Still, something should be done. Anything proactive over reactive works best.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:14 AM
Kobold

Why not require telephone verification from new members? They have to provide a phone number and answer the phone and verify that it is them to get clearance to post on the forums. What empowers these troll parasites (yes, I am aware of the redundancy) is anonymity. Strip their anonymity and they shape up fast.

Now I am sure that a lot of trolls on their "nice guy" accounts will howl everything from "Big Brother" to "censoring the web" to "invasion of privacy" to "It will kill project 1999" etc etc etc. However, I think it does not take a doctorate in psychology and sociology to determine what their actual concern is. You are not asking for fingerprints and Social Security Numbers. Far from killing 1999, you are inoculating it.

International players? Make them talk to you on Skype video chat.

Don't have a cellphone? How many guys posing as girls to get flirting gifts or whatnot have protested that their mike is suddenly broken when invited to mumble?

It takes work, sure, but at some point you have to decide whether it is worth it to moderate a forum where your users are being abused psychologically, or just not worth the effort, and too bad for them.

I won't play the troll's game of: "If you say something I win because you got mad, and if you don't you are now my bitch." Trolls are the paste we pick out from between the cleats of our boots and everyone knows it. Make them show a face to post. Make them powerless, like they deserve to be.

-Brimacombe

Postscript: This will also deter boxxers.
Last edited by Brimacombe; 05-28-2012 at 04:20 AM..
Old 05-28-2012, 06:20 AM
Orc

Default lolwut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tverian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Come at me bro!!!
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Fire Giant

Contrary to popular belief, getting Cast (or any troll, severe or mild) to stop doesn't start with being an internet tough guy, demanding IPs (So you can do all those oh so terrifying life destroying things with his proxies), counter trolling, and threatening to call the Internet Police Department (IPD). It starts with not replying to him, posting about him, or even acknowledging he exists in any many what-so-ever.

All these threads that pop up about him every week drive him to do his stupid shit more and more. It's also just as annoying as his posts are in the first place. Let it go, put him on ignore the second he creates a new account to begin his lifeless crusade anew, and continue about your lives.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyelle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Contrary to popular belief, getting Cast (or any troll, severe or mild) to stop doesn't start with being an internet tough guy, demanding IPs (So you can do all those oh so terrifying life destroying things with his proxies), counter trolling, and threatening to call the Internet Police Department (IPD). It starts with not replying to him, posting about him, or even acknowledging he exists in any many what-so-ever.

All these threads that pop up about him every week drive him to do his stupid shit more and more. It's also just as annoying as his posts are in the first place. Let it go, put him on ignore the second he creates a new account to begin his lifeless crusade anew, and continue about your lives.
Eat your own words much?

I'd suggest everyone reads the post Amelinda made about this subject:

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=75431

Turn off visitor messages on your account and disable seeing avatars, sigs, and pictures. Just make sure you're logged into your forum account before browsing the forums and you're good to go, otherwise those settings don't take affect if you're not logged in. The URL link to pictures will still show up in posts, so you're still able to click on links to see what people have posted if you know it's from someone that can be trusted.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyelle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
demanding IPs (So you can do all those oh so terrifying life destroying things with his proxies)
FYI, you're giving the guy too much credit. Before he went full retard against the community here, he was posting and playing regularly. Meaning it's highly likely that the initial IP records they have attached to his first forum account, and most definitely the IP he logged into the actual game with, is what his real IP address is.

Considering I've heard that he played Red 99 from his janitorial job, sending a letter to the ISP connected to that IP address and asking them to forward it to the company associated with said IP address would likely lose him his job. Just attach time stamps of when he was logging in along with a letter explaining what he's been posting. They'd likely be able to piece together who on their staff was doing it based on when it was happening.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Orc

Quote:

You apparently didn't read my earlier post where I said why this won't work.
Last edited by Sephiroth781; 05-28-2012 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: Changed a word that didn't make sense
Old 05-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Kobold

Quote:

Your opinion sucks.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Banned

Jeez, just go into your control panel and turn off the ability for anyone to show you disgusting pictures. There are things we as users can do to remedy the situation without asking the admins for a thing.
Closed Thread