Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 03:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccablack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
spending hours upon hours at a long camp just to get screwed over by some sociopath killing you is not an improvement over blue
Yes it is, and you're more likely to get your item without interference than you are to go to a camp and see it open on blue.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuljin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've been nothing but nice on Blue and I've been nothing but fucked by the sociopaths that play there. Now I'm not so nice anymore. Its sad really.

On Blue all you gotta do is be a "yes man" to the hegemony (aka kissing ass, fellating, however you wanna say it) and say funny things in Vent and you'll get real far. You don't even have to be good at the game.

Not only do you not have to be good at the game, you don't have to improve or step up your game. The server is full of assholes who can't play their way out of a 3-mob encounter and the class stigma exists because people wipe in KC regularly and won't even consider starting a group with a rez and an AOE mez. The attitude of the server over time has gone to complete and total shit. Even the "top raid guilds" are full of fucking terrible players.

Couple that with an incredibly stupid FRAPS and Lawyerquest culture, you have yourself a shitshow, friends.

Now, if you're terrible at EQ and unwilling to learn how to PvP, something tells me you won't last very long. Having the shit Blue attitude everyone has won't get you far at all, which is perhaps a major reason why the population has remained low.

I say launch new servers soon before 5 years of Velious and see who's suddenly willing to leave their precious pixels behind. Those who want to stay on a 6 year old inflated economy box just so they don't have to leave their (unused and unnecessary) Velious pixels behind can fucking stay. The server has gone so downhill its sad really.
Happens to a lot EQers, especially on a crowded server. For all the talk about how the games mechanics foster an environment of cooperation and reinforce community, there isn't much talk about how those same mechanics foster adversarial relationships just as easily.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion_Standing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Happens to a lot EQers, especially on a crowded server. For all the talk about how the games mechanics foster an environment of cooperation and reinforce community, there isn't much talk about how those same mechanics foster adversarial relationships just as easily.
Conflict is natural. The problem is the resolution thereof. Project 1999 does not have a paid CSR staff to deal with conflict resolution and modern players are too savvy to fall prey to the traditional community enforcement mechanism (ostracizing). EQ was mostly difficult because people didn't know what they were doing, now everyone knows so they don't care if you refuse to group with them. There is also no barrier to entry, so even if server staff intervene with a ban, they can return under a new guise to offend again.

Red99 at least affords players the opportunity to enforce accepted norms. Sure, the greater freedom does lead it to suffer somewhat from adverse selection, but the fraction of douchebags on red is no greater than that of blue. The rogues on red are just more open about their ambitions. And many of those perceived as rogues really just enjoy some good ol' competition. The number of people looking to grief random players on red is virtually nil.

If I have to deal with asshats I'd prefer to see them coming and have something I can do about them ^^
Old 09-16-2015, 10:44 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes it is, and you're more likely to get your item without interference than you are to go to a camp and see it open on blue.
You say this, but I rarely had to do much waiting for the camps I wanted to take. I think the SK treants were the only one I actually sat around to wait for it to open up.

I dunno, I guess I'm just a hipster camper and only go to the camps that aren't cool enough to be crowded? *shrug*

If you're talking about the really high-end, big-ticket item camps, I'm willing to bet those are perma-camped on red as well, with the added disadvantage of the campers likely outgearing and/or outnumbering you and quite happy to kill you if you take a look to see if you can have it for yourself. But hey, that's just a hypothesis.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:52 AM
Large Bat

and you would be wrong, zone into seb and its prolly empty including king. not always mind you, but often. this is true of many big ticket camps (especially non velious ones)
Old 09-17-2015, 02:59 AM
Kobold

Thread promoting red, Swish posts once. Thread that has nothing to do with red, Swish posts over and over. Huh?
Old 09-17-2015, 04:43 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallanor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Isn't this scenario just as likely to go the other way? I.e. you're camping holgreshes and someone comes up from behind and ganks you while you're low health and takes the camp? You only ever hear how PvP makes it easier for you to get camps in these pro-Red posts, never how it's harder to keep them once you get them.

Plus, as laughably ridiculous as that holgresh list was and as right as you were to laugh at it, the list has been gone for weeks. You need a new example of why blue sucks because holgresh camp isn't one of them.
Not only that, but if red had the same pop as blue, imagine the chaos that would be the holgresh camp.

I doubt anyone would ever get their beads, unless they took a raid force to camp it. Hilarious!

People would go to blue so they had more of a chance to actually get their beads [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Basically, things are easier to get on red because no one plays there, not because of the pvp strawman argument that's reitterated ad nauseum.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:26 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llodd [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not only that, but if red had the same pop as blue, imagine the chaos that would be the holgresh camp.

I doubt anyone would ever get their beads, unless they took a raid force to camp it. Hilarious!

People would go to blue so they had more of a chance to actually get their beads [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Basically, things are easier to get on red because no one plays there, not because of the pvp strawman argument that's reitterated ad nauseum.
300 nightly, not many other non-boxing servers can boast that. In fact I think I'd say Red 99 is #2 in all of EQ emu land for server size for actual players playing.

...and if people are pvp'ing hardcore for a camp then that's a good thing, because you know, it's a pvp server.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:29 AM
Sarnak

Honestly though, I wouldn't try Red because it's PvP, or for the Economy, or because it's easier to get a camp.

At this point I'd try red because Maskedmelon is there, and she (he?) is fucking awesome.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyturtle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly though, I wouldn't try Red because it's PvP, or for the Economy, or because it's easier to get a camp.

At this point I'd try red because Maskedmelon is there, and she (he?) is fucking awesome.
I agree, and everyone has their reasons. Whatever yours is, come on down blue friends... there's always a seat waiting for you.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread