Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 06:10 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Rolling Bard or Necro

Hi Folks!

While i am still waiting for my Everquest Titanium DVD, i'd like to clarify some questions.

In EQ Live i played a necro and i think i was able to handle him quite good. But i also know how hard it has been to get into groups.
I am now thinking about rolling a bard. I also played one in EQ Live and i found AE kiting very comfortable [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But how good is a bard when you like to farm nameds, especially indoors? Is he a searched char for groups? Are there many bards on the server? What about necros, every second player you meet a necro?
Perhaps there is a member who played both classes and is able to compare them in a short conclusion.
Thank you in advance.

Sorry for bad english, me -> german [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Fire Giant

The necro population thins out at higher levels, prolly due to not being searched for a group. The same, strangely, applies to bards. Not many high level bards on. The most played class is druid, although at higher levels they get a bit less and shamans take over.

As a chanter i love a bard in my group. They have hybrid xp penalty and while some people really hate every hybrid in their group because of it, i don't care. A bard can surely pull its weight if played well. You can be healer, puller, mana battery, CC... basically fill the gap that needs filling.

A necro's damage relies heavily on DoTs. In a group mobs die too fast for DoTs to be efficient. The nuking potential of a necro is very limited. A good group necro will heal/CC and even pull if needed and at the same time deliver some damage via pet and mediochre nukes. So a good necro can be nice for a group. Unfortunately most necros are used to soloing and tend to use the same tactics they successfully solo with in a group, where those tactics are inefficient. That's why necros are not so welcome in groups. People rather take a mage for more consistent damage (although soloning with a necro is easier and safer than with a mage).

So if you want to group here is the holy trinity: Cleric, chanter, warrior. Those classes usually have it easy to find a group. Shaman is usually very welcome too and some people prefer hybrid tanks over a warrior cause of easier aggro generation. Rogues and monks are kings of damage, so they are usually welcome as well (though to get a spot with a rogue the group should have a tank or at least monk first). If you look at the high level population you will find these classes much more than in the low levels.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:34 PM
Decaying Skeleton

In PoP i alway built my own Exp-groups with my necro as aggro kiter. Is this popular in classic?
How are the solo hunting abilities of the bard for named mobs, especially indoors?
Old 01-17-2013, 02:11 PM
Planar Protector

I think both classes thin out a bit because of lack of outdoor soloing spots. Necros can do fine indoors but it requires a bit of actual skill rather than just darkness/fear/repeat till dead.
in words of anal fingers, just a filthy spaniard
Old 01-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splorf22 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think both classes thin out a bit because of lack of outdoor soloing spots. Necros can do fine indoors but it requires a bit of actual skill rather than just darkness/fear/repeat till dead.
Loraen im leveling my necro to join the leet A-team!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I think i will roll a darkelf necro again. Simply because I have a lot more experience and playskill with necro.
Thank you for your help.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Loraen im leveling my necro to join the leet A-team!
We don't turn down anyone on class but if you wanna be awesome do the bard, we don't have a single consistent one yet.
in words of anal fingers, just a filthy spaniard
Closed Thread