Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Sarnak

Default Do I absolutely need a Sarnak Battle Shield as a Paladin?

I'm lv10 at the moment and I'm using Clay Guardian shield right now, 25AC 50HP, it's the best I have at the moment for my paladin. People are telling me to get one if I can, which I cannot because my funds are depleted.

Generally I 2h whenever I'm in a group, but for soloing/tanking,I was wondering if this is good enough to hold me into my 40's or 50's, or if I need to get my hands on a Sarnak Battle Shield ASAP.

My weapons are Sword of the Morning, Ghoulbane, and Soulfire.
Last edited by Beaniron; 01-05-2013 at 04:42 PM..
Old 01-05-2013, 05:15 PM
Planar Protector

Clay Guardian Shield is fine for a long while. The resists are nice, but if you are without funds you can invest in other pieces that will provide a bigger boost.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Clay Guardian Shield is fine for a long while. The resists are nice, but if you are without funds you can invest in other pieces that will provide a bigger boost.
I think I've got the rest of my equipment covered. HBC, Fire Wedding rings and Diamondine earrings for AC/HP, Dragonborn sash for Haste, and a full suit of Armor of Ro.

But if you say the Clay Guardian shield will work fine, I'm happy with it. I'm absolutely broke right now and all funds that I earn from 10-46 are going towards a Book of Scale.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:48 AM
Planar Protector

If you're going for the epic, don't bother with the sarnak shield. If you have the epic, using a 1H will feel like a downer anyway. A shield won't give you THAT much more AC, you can bash with the epic, and any kunark-era 1H will be very much less damage output.

Danth
Old 01-06-2013, 12:52 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you're going for the epic, don't bother with the sarnak shield. If you have the epic, using a 1H will feel like a downer anyway. A shield won't give you THAT much more AC, you can bash with the epic, and any kunark-era 1H will be very much less damage output.

Danth
I want to use the SoulFire exclusively once I hit 20. How does it fare as a weapon after lv20 compared to Sword of the Morning?
Old 01-06-2013, 01:01 AM
Planar Protector

Soulfire is distinctly inferior to a sword of the morning plus a clay guardian shield. Soulfire has a ratio of 23/45. That's worse than the Morning's 16/27 so the Soulfire is both less durability and less damage, too, plus losing bash. You may opt to use it anyway just for the look, but it isn't a very good weapon in Kunark in terms of raw effectiveness.

If you primarily group nobody will care how much damage you do so the Soulfire will do fine in that situation. If you try to solo to 60 you'll die of old age before you get there so it's probably a moot point.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 01-06-2013 at 01:04 AM..
Old 01-06-2013, 02:12 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Soulfire is distinctly inferior to a sword of the morning plus a clay guardian shield. Soulfire has a ratio of 23/45. That's worse than the Morning's 16/27 so the Soulfire is both less durability and less damage, too, plus losing bash. You may opt to use it anyway just for the look, but it isn't a very good weapon in Kunark in terms of raw effectiveness.

If you primarily group nobody will care how much damage you do so the Soulfire will do fine in that situation. If you try to solo to 60 you'll die of old age before you get there so it's probably a moot point.

Danth
How about Avenger/Defender? How do those compare to SotM? I heard something about Fiery Defender having access to Bash, not sure about it though.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Fire Giant

Clay Guardian Shield has good hp for your level, and if you MUST have a shield with resist for those nasty caster mobs, id just buy a Crested Mistmoore Shield - 10 SVM, 10 SVP, 10 SVD....
Old 01-08-2013, 08:34 PM
Sarnak

Question about the Fiery Defender Epic: It has 15AC on it. Does this mean it doubles as a shield and allows you to get past the AC cap?
Old 01-09-2013, 05:46 AM
Banned

youre twinked out your fucking ass at lvl ten with soulfire/cgs/SoM/ etc etc

***** fucking kill something and quit asking for advice with your rmt ass.
Closed Thread