Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 08-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Sarnak

Default Note to Arantir (Wizard Epic, Staff of the Four)

This bug report is in correspondence with a petition filed a month or so back that was picked up by Nilbog. Upon asking about the status of the petition, it was suggested that I submit a bug report for the issue as well. The petition link (for staff) is: http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=82197

During the Wizard Epic Quest (Staff of the Four), the wizard is required to venture to the Plane of Fear and obtain Cazic's Skin. Upon looting the skin from Cazic, the wizard must return to Kandin Firepot in Butcherblock Mountains and hand it to him. In return Kandin gives the wizard "Kandin's Bag." Upon completing the quest for the Staff of Gabstik, Kandin asks for the bag back. When the wizard returns the bag, he receives a Note to Arantir.

This is where the quest bug occurs. Several walkthroughs from the 2000 era state that the note must be given to Arantir himself, who resides in Halas (although some point out it could be handed to Dargon as well). Upon handing the Note to Arantir to Arantir, he is supposed to despawn, and a "different" Arantir responds in his place. If you hail the "new" Arantir, he should respond back asking the wizard for the three staves.

Upon turning the Note to Arantir to Arantir, he did not properly despawn, nor spawn the "different" Arantir in his place. Upon hailing Arantir, he did not respond asking for the three staves. This halted the progress for the epic quest, and the petition was filed.

Below are a list of guides and images showing the cadence of a successful wizard epic.

Graffe's Wizard Staff of the Four Guide (December 2000)
Secondary Walkthrough (November 2000, apologies for the Japenese text, but the images help)

In addition, below is an image that shows the turn-in cadence for the wizard epic. This is from the Secondary Walkthrough.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

In summary, Arantir A (the first Arantir) should be capable of receiving the Note to Arantir and spawning the second Arantir, Arantir B. Currently, you can only turn the note into Dargon.

My intent was to make this bug report concise and to the point. If there is any information you feel I have left out, please do not hesitate to ask here or through private message.

Thanks for all the hard work!
Last edited by Adrieth; 09-26-2012 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: Fixed bad link
Old 08-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Sarnak

Bumping
Old 08-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Sarnak

Would love for some of the TMO wizards to post their experiences here, since they've done several turn-ins: What NPC you used to spawn Arantir B (Dargon or Arantir A), what faction the submitter had, etc.

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Fire Giant

every TMO wizard used Dargon (sp) and the turn ins were done with amiable faction ! Hope this helps.

Perhaps something can be worked out when we get our next CT skin as you seem to clearly have a case here. Hope you guys get your epics !
Old 08-21-2012, 03:55 AM
Fire Giant

You need to hand the note to Dargon to spawn the Arantir B.

Taken from your first link:

Now take this note from Kandin and give it to Dargon in Halas. This will cause Arantir to spawn in the place of Dargon once again. Once Arantir has spawned, hail him and continue

You say, 'hail Arantir Karondor'

Arantir Karondor says 'Ah yes, you again. Do you have the items? Give me the three you possess and I'll combine them with my own.

At this point, hand Arantir all three staves, the Blue Crystal Staff, the Gnarled Staff, and the Staff of Gabstik. IMPORTANT: Be sure to have an empty slot open in your MAIN inventory before you hand over the 3 staves. That or have a container that can hold a 'giant' item.

Arantir Karondor says 'Here, this pack contains all of our items. You will never be able to open it again, so you must deliver the pack, intact, to Solomen. He will then reward you. Now that I have helped you, leave me in peace.
Last edited by Eccezan; 08-21-2012 at 04:00 AM..
Old 08-21-2012, 08:38 AM
Sarnak

Thanks for our input Eccezan, but I specifically remember a different path on live as well. In fact, I remember it being a complete pain because you would have to buy a second Ro's Breath potion to spawn Arantir A. To my knowledge, you couldn't spawn Arantir B with Dargon until a little later (it was hotfixed or something). I appreciate you quoting the first article, but I read that as well. The second article shows that you could have also handed the note to Arantir A.
Last edited by Adrieth; 08-21-2012 at 02:38 PM..
Old 08-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrieth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for our input Eccezan, but I specifically remember a different path on live as well. In fact, I remember it being a complete pain because you would have to buy a second Ro's Breath potion to spawn Arantir A. To my knowledge, you couldn't spawn Arantir B with Dargon until a little later (it was hotfixed or something). I appreciate you quoting the first article, but I read that as well. The second article shows that you could have also handed the note to Arantir A.
ro's breath spawns a different version of arantir. No idea why you didn't just follow the guide.
It's pretty clear he's become one of the people he described as No-life Nerds and Server Bullies.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Sarnak

Sorry, I think you guys are missing the point of the original post and guide(s) (there are two, the second one is what we used). Hoping to get developer or GM feedback at some point for this. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrieth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry, I think you guys are missing the point of the original post and guide(s) (there are two, the second one is what we used). Hoping to get developer or GM feedback at some point for this. Thanks.
oh you used the Japanese version?
It's pretty clear he's become one of the people he described as No-life Nerds and Server Bullies.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Planar Protector

just looked over your japanese post, I have no idea why you chose to use the least verifiable walkthrough rather than the one on graffe, or zam. However the translation seems to me, to be someones attempt to translate the epic to japanese players, they even reference graffe.com

The guide walks you through the quest in the traditional sense and then seems to recap in rambling fashion at the end.

Dargon always got the letter to pop the appropriate arantir and arantir depops shortly after... prob 15 min?

Sorry you lost your skin, I hope you got it back.