Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 04:52 AM
Kobold

Question Whirl till you hurl!

I hate to be a busybody spoiler, but the level 12 enchanter spell "Whirl till you hurl" really seem to be OP as it ALWAYS stuns for a full 12 seconds.

I don't recall having used this spell much back in the days, as it nearly always wore off much sooner. As an enchanter, at level 22 I can keep the mob perma stunned in a full group and still have enough mana for the next mob! I can only imagine the OP-ness when I get clarity at 29...

Thoughts anyone?

For reference: http://web.archive.org/web/200111250...ions.asp?Id=41
Old 11-05-2009, 06:57 AM
VIP / Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Wenai

I have been saying since prior to launch that it was a random duration. I never played an enchanter and never really grouped with one, but my point of reference is the Tranquil Staff.

TStaff used a similar spell except had a 100pt DD attached to it. It always only lasted a few seconds, but every once and a while it would last a long time. This was my perception of how it worked.

I know for sure it doesn't work the way it is working right now, because it is very low resist and lasts the full duration every time. Every time I have brought this issue up I have been quickly shot down and told that it is fine, don't change it. I am pretty sure it is not working as intended but the link you have provided gives some insight on the situation.

The explanation seems to say that melee combat has a chance to break the stun, which would make sense, as whenever I saw the tstaff used, it would break early all the time since you are in combat. We tested the TStaff in the beta and it pretty much made it so monks could solo anything because it proc'd all the time and permastunned the mob.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Large Rat

I was actually just having a debate with someone about this yesterday. I'm an enchanter and definitely feel that Whirl is overpowered. I think that if it could be tweaked to, as suggested in that link, provide a chance to break upon each melee hit, that would be a reasonable adjustment. It wouldn't be a crazy powerful long-duration stun, but it wouldn't completely ruin the spell, either.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Banned

Thumbs down

Edited out for jealous rant
Last edited by Xzerion; 11-05-2009 at 01:58 PM..
Old 11-05-2009, 01:58 PM
VIP / Contributor

Speaking as a dev and a 50 enchanter it feels overpowered to me. The long standing issue as a DEV team that we have always asked for was proof of whether something was different on live than it is on emu. I have been unable to find it. Once someone does it will be changed.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzerion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Speaking as a dev and a 50 enchanter it feels overpowered to me. The long standing issue as a DEV team that we have always asked for was proof of whether something was different on live than it is on emu. I have been unable to find it. Once someone does it will be changed.
It definitely isn't acting like it was back in '99.

I remember reading a patch note on it I think. Some of the commentary about the fix was they "broke it" on purpose - as it was overpowered. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Edited out for jealous rant
Why edit this? I read the original message and it's an opinion/statement that should be included in this discussion.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:35 PM
VIP / Contributor

Because hes a dev, we have had the discussion, and there are 3 50 enchanters on the server, it implies that everyone is crooked
Old 11-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Aviak

Perhaps - I took it more as a you won't change anything til you have proof kind of thing. Which was fine with me, and fair - even if GMs were on the other side of the argument.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzerion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No im all for changing it, but we are not going to change our standards and procedures in doing so. Comments like that from a Dev do not belong on the public forums.
Fair Enough.

Haven't found the patch notes as of yet, but the following link may be useful;

http://web.archive.org/web/200108230...pell.asp?Id=41

Look at the comments, they give a description more akin to what I remember. Specifically, WTYH would break constantly under melee attacks.
Closed Thread