Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 11:04 PM
Sarnak

Default Saw an interesting conversation in EC about Druids.

Was on my monk sitting in the tunnel and caught wind of an interesting argument between some people on shout and ooc regarding a Druid and their desirability in high-level parties.

Is it true that they're usually not wanted in a group past 35? People are saying that the only worth they typically have in a group, or are wanted for, is ports, and nothing else. I can't really buy that seeing as they have so many other things they can do (ds, heal, root, crowd control, buffs, damage), but that's what people in EC are saying. I didn't want to jump in on their convo because I don't really know enough about the class to put forth my two cents in front of a major audience, but is this true? Are Druids really looked down on at high levels? I was under the impression that most groups like having a player that can do a lot of things, not just all players that can only do one role.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Planar Protector

Idk.. about the perfect ideal group set up

I usually just group with anybody heh

I know some groups want you to submit an application first tho xD
Old 11-19-2011, 11:10 PM
Banned

When I want stimulating discussion I always go to ec tunnel because i'm sure to get 100% unbiased opinions there
Old 11-19-2011, 11:15 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Was on my monk sitting in the tunnel and caught wind of an interesting argument between some people on shout and ooc regarding a Druid and their desirability in high-level parties.

Is it true that they're usually not wanted in a group past 35? People are saying that the only worth they typically have in a group, or are wanted for, is ports, and nothing else. I can't really buy that seeing as they have so many other things they can do (ds, heal, root, crowd control, buffs, damage), but that's what people in EC are saying. I didn't want to jump in on their convo because I don't really know enough about the class to put forth my two cents in front of a major audience, but is this true? Are Druids really looked down on at high levels? I was under the impression that most groups like having a player that can do a lot of things, not just all players that can only do one role.

In the ideal group, to maximize EXP, you want classes that can do what they do better than anyone else. Druids dont do that. Clerics heal better, Wizards nuke harder, Necros DoT harder, Shamans buff better. Does this mean you will NEVER get a group after level 35? No, but it does mean that if theres a group wanting to fill a DPS spot theyre going to probably pick the wizard/mage over you, or if they're looking for a healer they will pick the cleric over you.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:15 PM
Banned

The level range at which druids basically become useless to experience groups may be higher but the gist of the conversation is pretty much spot on.

Druids are as poor healers as shamans at high levels but without mitigatingly useful spells like slow and buffs. If you wanted to heal for a group in KC, for instance, you'd use your entire mana bar within about 60 seconds., which does not equal sustainable experience.

It's not so much that druids do things worse than everyone else, that everyone else can actually contribute to an exp group and druids cannot.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:24 PM
Sarnak

So Superior Heal isn't any good then? It's either CH or nothing?

Don't any groups prefer versatility over specialization though?
Old 11-19-2011, 11:40 PM
Aviak

it's half true. there are classes who can do most the stuff druids can and they do it better to boot. it isn't that hard to find a group as a druid at the higher levels. if you're really worried about it, make friends with a tank and form your own groups. tbh though, it's far better xp to solo as a druid in the higher levels.

quadding spirocs at lvl 50 in TD i was yielding about a blue bub in xp every pull. i don't care how kick ass the group is, you can't beat that rate. the only time i group as a druid is if i'm getting bored of soloing, or if i want a shot as some phat lewtz.

TL;DR it isn't that hard to find a group as a druid 35+
Old 11-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Planar Protector

why group when you can so low?
Old 11-20-2011, 12:03 AM
Planar Protector

They can't CH, slow, haste, and only can ghetto cc with root. For this reason while a good group can roll with a Druid most min-maxers would rather have a cleric or Shammy (or both). Druids can dps but it's not the best unless animal charming.

Basically a Druid can be a fine healer but it requires talented/open-minded (or perhaps reckless) people in tough camps and the right supporting classes. For a class that can solo blindfolded to 60 it seems rather pointless to fuss though. They can also duo with a tank just fine for duo/trio work on grind mobs.

You can find pages on Druid dynamics by searching these forums.

Edit: I forgot to mention the lack of canni. Next expansion they get a 1k heal which make them a great supporting healer on raids for dps/casters.
Last edited by Snaggles; 11-20-2011 at 12:06 AM..
Old 11-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Sarnak

What you heard is true, druids are usually pretty bad in single group 6 man content and will be usually looked over in LFG situations.

Groups want Tank/Cleric/CC/DPS/DPS/DPS. At high levels a druid isn't replacing the cleric, and the bard or chanter can CC just fine in any level appropriate area in a 6 man group right up to level 60 without any "help" from druid rooting/snaring etc. A 6 man group doesn't need backup heals either, because if they need backup heals it's because they are either playing pulls poorly, pulled mobs too high level, or (more likely) because they had a backup healer instead of a 3rd person DPSing. The only real exception you'll see is groups replacing one of the DPS with a Shaman, because slow is so powerful (In fact slow alone, is better than the entire druid class), their buffs also don't clash with cleric buffs like druid buffs do.

Note there is no place for a druid's utility in a 6 man group. This is because Tanks can do all the tanking, clerics can do all the healing, and Bards/Enchanter can do all of the CCing.

They're quite good at duoing with certain classes hwoever.

Play to the class's strengths. It's a good first toon to get to high level to get cash together. Then you have a port mule besides to go buy/sell in EC, port your friends/potential groupmates around with etc.
Last edited by Vondra; 11-20-2011 at 12:20 AM..
Closed Thread