Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Kobold

Default A Question for anyone who has played a ranger a lot...

So, on these forums, I notice everyone always talking smack on rangers. When I think about Rangers, I guess I can see why. As a hybrid, they're obviously not as good with meleeing and tanking as a warrior, and they're not as good at druid stuff as a druid. So why would anyone play a ranger? What advantages does a ranger have that make them worth playing? With other hybrids, I can see why someone would want to play them, like SK's getting pets and Paladins getting heals and buffs. But I can't think of much with regards to rangers. It seems like someone who wants to play a ranger would be better off playing either a druid or a warrior or something else.

Am I wrong?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Maybe they think Luclin is going to come out. /Shrug
Old 10-02-2011, 10:34 PM
Sarnak

ranger hate comes almost entirely from a min/max, max level point of view.

i can solo and tank just as well as any hybrid on my ranger, and i don't even have that great of gear. the gap doesn't really even start to become noticeable until you come into your own in the 30s and 40s. rangers also make pretty decent duo partners because of their versatility.

they're just not the best at anything, unless you count tracking.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excellio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When I think about Rangers, I guess I can see why. As a hybrid, they're obviously not as good with meleeing and tanking as a warrior, and they're not as good at druid stuff as a druid. So why would anyone play a ranger? What advantages does a ranger have that make them worth playing? With other hybrids, I can see why someone would want to play them, like SK's getting pets and Paladins getting heals and buffs. But I can't think of much with regards to rangers. It seems like someone who wants to play a ranger would be better off playing either a druid or a warrior or something else.

Am I wrong?
Please search for previous threads on rangers.... but...

Yes you are wrong.
Tanking, personally have tanked in KC, CoM and Seb, plus various other zones.
DPS, excellent...
Pulling...
CC...

Why do we play rangers... because we enjoy them.
Why do you play whatever class it is you play?
Because you enjoy it.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:51 PM
Fire Giant

The fact that drag everyone elses xp down that groups with them. And what they bring to the party does not justify that, at all.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:06 AM
Planar Protector

Ranger melee dps is on par with warriors. Self-buffed only I would tip my hat to the Ranger. Twisting spells its easily to the ranger. It even has an aggro dump.

Tanking its pretty obvious. If it could even come close on hard hitting mobs wouldnt that ruin the other tanks? With weaponshield disc later you can do some unique things a warrior cannot though.

Solo a ranger has options, mobility, track, etc. Bow damage blows but with a tolans bracer and enough room its an endless dot.

Min-maxing raiders will always point to pure classes. One ranger and pally along for specific buffs will be appealing though. In certain zones a sk and ranger can be dang good pullers.

With grind groups and duos they do great. The game isnt that hard if you think a little. A smart hybrid can change the tides of a battle, a pure melee sits there relying on automated dice rolls. That said, they have a TON more dice to work with. When I rolled my rogue i got giddy with ranger invites because they were rarer than obnoxious fellow rogues or monks and they had sexy attack buffs for me [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].

I was a rogue prior to luclin because they were ellusive and quirky, epics made them trendy so I rerolled a sk. I'm going ranger because the underdog is fun. Not because its better, but because it confuses people.

Play what you want. Justify it to yourself as the best and only way on a religious level. It's what eq is all about. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Snaggles; 10-03-2011 at 12:17 AM..
Old 10-03-2011, 12:20 AM
Kobold

so why play a ranger? Fun Factor, Versitility and to piss off a tank when you can hold Agrro better then they can or to save that same tanks life after a CH mistiming/fizzle./shrug donno too many other tank/melee classes that can root ,snare , regen, DD, DoT. Ect and I Have yet to see a druid that can take the damage I can. Plus it always give me a giggle to beat a Group to a named in a zone when they thought your XP penalty didnt justify what you brought to a group .

Let people think what they want. Those who have accually played one or have grouped with people that know how to play one , know the value of the class
Old 10-03-2011, 12:33 AM
Planar Protector

Nice thing is there are always people willing to overlook exp hybrid penalties and min/maxing to have fun and invite someone. You wont always get your first pick in this game but doing cool stuff is better than not.

I remember wizards and druids getting groups on live even when mages and shamies did their job twice as good.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:49 AM
Aviak

Great class imo i raided heavily through GoD on Retail as "said death touch bait". best tracking skill in the game = when you not grouping run around a few zones hit that track button and down a mob for some twink loot, give to friends/guildies or sell in ec tunnel. while on P99 if we dont see past Velious your not the best thing since sliced bread. however WS disc make a great ass saver at times when a MT dies while grouped or when u bit off more than you can chew blow WS root and run just remember to back up out of melee range 1st then turn tail. TS can put out some decent #'s iirc even with a limited expac era. while the snare kite/volley arrows method isnt viable since circa 2003 (ish?) still a fun class to play if you like to solo or want to play a niche' class. Also if you can manage to get BOTH epic's you a soloing machine. long as you can get past the -exp you'll have fun.

P.S. see sig
Last edited by Moggster; 10-03-2011 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: i fail @ spelling
Old 10-03-2011, 01:27 AM
Planar Protector

Rangers are a very good pvp class, and they're self-sufficient.
Closed Thread