Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 04:15 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Everquest Review

Hey guys, i just finished my review of EQ using p99. I wanted to thank the people running p99 and also all the players for making it possible to see how and relive how this game was back in its glory days. Hope you guys enjoy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2u2USMNdA1E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-30-2011, 04:29 PM
Planar Protector

First
Old 09-30-2011, 05:15 PM
Planar Protector

Pretty good introduction to EQ for people who don't know what it's about. A bit misleading sometimes (I think the manual for the game had maps for every town; also, any player with a little know-how will never have a corpse run over ~10-15 minutes, and the EXP on death penalty was a bit overblown, as you would almost always get a res if you were at a high enough level for death to mean hours lost) but covers the game pretty well. The part about camping is pretty similar to how I feel about it - I've never legitimately camped an item on this server as it just seems like a gigantic boring waste of time; I'd rather just buy items with plat I get EXPing or porting or something.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 09-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Kobold

Pretty good review. But dude, why do you talk like Dr. Evil?
Old 09-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Kobold

Koolaidman = Orlando Bloom?

Azorath
Old 10-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I didn't know I sounded like Dr evil! I will work on not sounding that way. I usually go a bit extreme on my reviews. I'm glad you guys enjoyed it though. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 10-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Kobold

Cool idea, but it seems like you've blown the challenge of EQ out of proportion. You make it sound like the entire game is set out of punish you and there's no fun involved. I've never had a CR take 2-4 hours, and ports are extremely common from druids and wizards. I see how you're trying to get people interested but if I had watched this having never played EQ I'd run in the other direction and never look back.

EQ is about being social, meeting people, grouping, building a community and gearing up in the process of all that. It is not, and has never been a solo game (strictly talking P99 here). You are forced to rely on other people in order to be successful.

EQ is fun because it's challenging, and granted it has some frustrating moments it doesn't set out to punish the player. Of course EQ looks like climbing Everest without an oxygen tank compared to games like WoW and Rift but that's the whole point. It isn't easy, everything in EQ must be earned and nothing comes free. Sure you had 40 days of /played by the time you capped, but if you weren't enjoying those 40 days of grinding then you are playing for the wrong reason.

I'm betting you could re-work your audio and re-cut the video to make it more appealing to a larger fan base who enjoys a challenge rather than having everything handed to you on a silver platter. Overall nice work considering there isn't anyone else around to do the same.

Edit: Doesn't AC spawn in South Ro? I could nit pick the shit out of this review from a video editors perspective but given that you did this for fun and enjoyment I wont [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Roanoke; 10-01-2011 at 06:22 PM..
Old 10-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Fun Vid. You best twink that kid or hes not gonna make the run to Crushbone from Felwithe. )p
Old 10-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Fire Giant

Lmao awesome review dude. I've certainly had plenty of CRs that take 2-4 hours, and of course I'll never forget camping Pyzjin in 1999 on my 4th of july weekend, and only seeing her spawn once, and not going outside to see the fireworks because I didn't want to lose my camp.
Kill Mulder, we take the risk of turning one man's quest into a crusade.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Aviak

Best editing @ 2:36... Seriously. I have to go quit my editing job now.
Closed Thread