Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 11:37 AM
Sarnak

Default charming puzzle

I have read many of the posts about CHA affecting charming ability. I have many alts among them a 22 druid and 18 enchanter. Back in the spring I bought my enchanter some gear in order to raise his CHA to better charm. I imimediately picked upper guk heart spiders in which to test my new 198 CHA. To briefly summarize the experience, I had very few instances of the charm lasting more than a minute. At first I thought it was conicidence that they broke so soon but after an hour and a couple of deaths and even more chase-aways. I finally gave up. The next day i tried again with one of the 3 frogs just past the spiders thinking that maybe the spiders are more Magic resistant. I got similar results.

Skip ahead to this past Monday. I started playing my then level 20 druid with 75 CHA in OT charming sabertooths. I can normally kill 2 or 3 mobs before running out of mana and hiding to break charm then killing the pet. Sometimes the duration for this was approaching 3 minutes. It has only randomly broke 4 times that I recall in 2 levels of killing this week. All the other times I broke it.

So, the puzzle is why is easier on the druid when CHA is Loads lower? 75 vs 198?

Thanks for your time.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Planar Protector

very scientific data, try charming the same mobs at the same level
Old 09-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Planar Protector

CHA doesn't effect druid or necro charms.

Your chanter's charming will vastly improve as you level, since the mobs you fight at level 18 are much closer to your level than the mobs you fight at level 39+.

Charisma helps, but level difference and the mob's magic resist is the true driver of charm success (or failure) for enchanters.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Kobold

Did you tash the spiders?
Old 09-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Kobold

Send a message via ICQ to vageta31 Send a message via AIM to vageta31 Send a message via Yahoo to vageta31

At lower levels the only charming I'd even attempt is the one where it only needs to last for the one fight. Then you break it and finish off the creature. if you're trying to charm something, buff it and keep it as your pet for longer periods I think that happens best at higher levels when you have a significant level gap between you and the mob. I'd guess a level 60 enchanter can successfully charm a level 45 lower guk frog and expect to keep it around for more than a single fight or two. Trying that at level 45-50 however is probably going to be quite deadly.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:19 PM
Planar Protector

Best way to approach the charming as an easy means to score 2 kills with 1 stone: you charm 1 mob, and make it fight its friend, and help it just a little bit, so your pet survives with just a few hp left. Then you break the charm and finish it off.
Its also a great tool to help your group to break a tough camp

But do not take charming as a means of getting a pet that you can run around with all day long.

If charming would be that reliable that it could last uninterrupted for 20+ min, you could very well have given chanter a permanent pet 10 levels higher than he is, compared to what normal pet classes get.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:27 PM
Kobold

You should be charming crocodiles or low level orcs in oasis on the ench.. spiders are way to high for it to last.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika Maslyaka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Best way to approach the charming as an easy means to score 2 kills with 1 stone: you charm 1 mob, and make it fight its friend, and help it just a little bit, so your pet survives with just a few hp left. Then you break the charm and finish it off.
Its also a great tool to help your group to break a tough camp

But do not take charming as a means of getting a pet that you can run around with all day long.

If charming would be that reliable that it could last uninterrupted for 20+ min, you could very well have given chanter a permanent pet 10 levels higher than he is, compared to what normal pet classes get.
As a level 58-60 enchanter, I was reliably getting 8-9 minute charms on the level 45-48 skeletons in Howling stones. I would run with a cleric and sometimes monk and give my pet haste, weapons. etc. This was immediately after the last charm nerf.
I didn't touch charm before level 40 because my gear was too bad. If you plan to charm at low levels, twinkage is a must. Charm can be reliably used as a dps tool in exp groups as well as solo, but it requires having good enough gear to survive the breaks as well as an awareness of both the mobs and your group. It's not something to do at low levels, as charm becomes more reliable as tash gets better and exp mobs start being much lower in level than you.
Last edited by Werlop; 09-17-2011 at 04:19 PM..
Old 09-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Sarnak

I play a druid that has charm soloed for most of my levels. What seems to be happening to me is that mobs well below your level, like 5+ levels below you, will rarely break early.

Mobs close to, but below your level, will break early most of the time, but are usually good for killing 1-2 other monsters before they break. These monsters I have found charisma boosting items to help with. Getting my cha from 75 to 105 has a noticeable effect on my charm duration with mobs just under my lvl.

Charming equal or higher level mobs they last a couple of seconds no matter what you do with your charisma.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:37 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werlop [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I didn't touch charm before level 40 because my gear was too bad. If you plan to charm at low levels, twinkage is a must.
well not twinkage, but at least adequate gear. Enough mana to pull through things, enough HP when it all goes to #@*@%, enough charisma....

I had two enchanters on live (one on SZ and one on MM). Once when they were near the same level I tried to do what I could do with my bluebie well geared enchanter (charming the named cycle in Griegs and revamp Droga). On the well geared enchanter it was trivial, on the poor geared enchanter it was impossible.
Closed Thread