Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 08:02 AM
Kobold

Default How are things on the legal front?

So I was thinking of doing a little bit of internet marketing for the server to increase the population. I'm just concerned that Sony might start some legal trouble if this thing blows up. Can you handle everything on the legal front or are you just flying under the radar? I think I could easily bring in a few thousand additional players.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Planar Protector

i bet soe is well aware of this emulator, i doubt they will bring p99 down unless well all donations were actually going to rogeans, and other dev's pockets, which it isnt, all donations go to hardware, and the server, ect, so no ones making money out of this
Old 09-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Kobold

Yes but it might start to piss Sony off if this project gets a lot larger. Right now they may simply be weighing their potential loses from the project compared to legal action and deciding it would cost them more to shut it down.

I think there is a lot of potential to get new players who may have never even heard of EQ but just want a free MMO, old EQ players who don't know an emulator exists, etc. I do internet marketing/publishing for a living and it would be trivial for me to blast Project 1999 across the interwebs to millions of people in all the right places.

I'm also thinking I could put together a different "get started" guide that includes a torrent since that isn't allowed here and I'm not affiliated with the project and also include some new player information for people who have never played EQ. Essentially marketing it as the "greatest free MMO available."
Old 09-10-2011, 08:29 AM
Planar Protector

Rogean and Nilbog have both been sentenced to prison time resulting from p99. Luckily, a lot of the members on the forums also frequent the penitentiary and they were protected for the most part, only being raped a few times.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Kobold

If you read one of the stickied things (or maybe just somewhere on p99's website) they actually have a loop hole in the EULA that makes this legal and legit.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Kobold

Having a loop hole in the EULA is one thing, being crushed under the weight of legal action is another. In good old America you can simply be sued to the point that legal costs to defend yourself means you automatically lose.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Aviak

If I recall, some of the devs have discussed project 1999 with the current Sony Everquest management. In fact, I'm not so sure it didn't give them the idea to start their own classic server.

I don't think p99 will ever be big enough for Sony to care. Their legal staff has other more important things to take care of (passwords/personal information getting hacked).
Old 09-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Planar Protector

It's worth mentioning again that Smedley is aware of P99, and has personally met with Rogean.

Wouldn't surprise me if he even had a character or two here. As long as P99 doesn't charge for services, it's pretty much cool with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
if your reason to be here is to ruin other peoples experiences and grief them off the server, then not only do you not deserve the privilege of playing here, but i will remove your ability to do so.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Kobold

Alright sounds good.. I'll get to work. If I'm not a complete failure I would expect us to be breaking over 1,000 prime time in another month.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Planar Protector

dont forget to promote red99 too!
Closed Thread