Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 10:55 AM
Kobold

Default The PoP/"Default" UI Looks More Classic than the "Velious" UI

Here's a picture of the PoP/"default" UI, circa 2004:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Here's a picture of the Velious UI, circa 2 days ago:

The Velious UI looks way worse to me, it doesn't look classic at all, and I'll be disappointed if we're forced to use it on green as the rumors seem to be saying.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:07 AM
Planar Protector

No it doesn't, like at all. The second pic is much, much closer to what you'd have been using in era. Where on earth are you getting the idea that your top pic looks anything like what people were using in 1999?

FWIW, 2004 is the year WoW launched, and far from what the project is attempting to emulate.
Last edited by Fammaden; 09-25-2019 at 11:10 AM..
Old 09-25-2019, 11:08 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here's a picture of the PoP/"default" UI, circa 2004:

Here's a picture of the Velious UI, circa 2 days ago:

The Velious UI looks way worse to me, it doesn't look classic at all, and I'll be disappointed if we're forced to use it on green as the rumors seem to be saying.
I think the 2nd pic, by far, looks more classic than the first one...
Old 09-25-2019, 11:09 AM
Banned

Neither of them do, tbh.

Your POP ui screenshot is in 4:3 ratio, not widescreen 16:9
Old 09-25-2019, 11:30 AM
Aviak

Nah.

Old 09-25-2019, 11:42 AM
Sarnak

I agree with OP that the POP ui "Looks" more classic (he never said it IS more classic) comparing to the classic stone UI that many people remember. Has more of a fantasy vibe. I prefer it.
I agree with others (and probably so does OP) in that it is not actually classic.

But where is the quote from the management saying that we will be forced to 1? All i see is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also, be aware that this window will be disabled on Green, along with all Custom UI's.
That implies to me UIs that you add to the titanium directory, not ones already there.

Personal hope is that they allow the options, or have an ace up their sleeve with a classically inspired stone ui that works well at high resolutions (optional + the velious ui, of course, as it was in classic)
Old 09-25-2019, 11:52 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by soronil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree with OP that the POP ui "Looks" more classic (he never said it IS more classic) comparing to the classic stone UI that many people remember. Has more of a fantasy vibe. I prefer it.
I agree with others (and probably so does OP) in that it is not actually classic.
Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soronil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But where is the quote from the management saying that we will be forced to 1?
I haven't heard it officially stated by staff! The zeitgeist seems to think it's the case currently [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.], and maybe it was said by a green name somewhere?
Old 09-25-2019, 11:54 AM
Planar Protector

"Rogean: [Dec2001] Velious UI will be enforced prior to this Era."

Looks pretty official to me.

EDIT: The genuine Velious client does indeed work on widescreen and HD resolutions. The user has to input them manually in the .ini file, but having done that, it works fine. This has been confirmed using the 2001 Trilogy discs. The Velious client also permitted moving elements around, even if most players at the time didn't realize it and hence didn't do it. There are some nonclassic things about P99's Velious-style UI, mostly due to Titanium client limitations. The actions/socials window is a little off; it should have buttons instead of tabs. Bags/loot window/merchants/etc used background textures from the old "stone" UI. Our client doesn't seem to allow a UI to use such differing textures. Login, server select, character select screens were vastly different. Opening the spellbook should auto-revert to the old "stone" UI as the Velious UI did not have separate elements for the spellbook.

I don't particularly care for the Velious UI either--I especially dislike the translucent chat windows since they're hard on middle-aged eyes--but P99's interpretation of it is about as close as the client seemingly allows. That phrase, "As close as the client allows," could just about be a motto for P1999 more generally.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 09-25-2019 at 12:02 PM..
Old 09-25-2019, 11:58 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"Rogean: [Dec2001] Velious UI will be enforced prior to this Era."
Oh, yeah, from here: https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=333315
Old 09-25-2019, 12:05 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't particularly care for the Velious UI either--I especially dislike the translucent chat windows since they're hard on middle-aged eyes
Amen, brother!

Accessibility is something I think about when they talk about UI limitations/changes. For example, less hotkey buttons means that the game will be more physically demanding to play. This isn't a problem for me, but maybe it will be a problem for some of the older crowd playing on P99. This isn't a young man's game [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].
Last edited by Wurl; 09-25-2019 at 12:17 PM..
Closed Thread