Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 12:10 PM
Aviak

Default Playing P99 on small screen size laptops/notebooks 11-13~" what are your experiences?

Title says it all, mostly...

These could be windows notebooks, or even chromebooks running linux+wine.

-Are they a bit too small to see what's going on in the game world properly?
-Do you find the text in EQ easy to read on such a small screen size?
-From your experience do you think a 13 inch screen size would make a massive difference over an 11 inch screen size (or is 13 still too small), taking into account 11inch is much more portable?
-Also, do you think EQ runs well on the notebook you are using/have used?
-And if possible, what is the notebook you are using/have used? (Make/Model)

Comments and other thoughts please [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Echinops (Cleric) <Ardness>
Last edited by spee2k9; 04-27-2016 at 12:20 PM..
Old 04-27-2016, 12:22 PM
Planar Protector

I play on a 8" screen. It's fine. You're gonna get some lag when the on board graphics have to draw a lot of models and particle effects, so you'll have to tweak those settings. You can adjust the chat font size with /chatfontsize [0-5]. I play fine at a 1280x800 resolution.

If you plan on playing on the battery at all, the 11" will have noticeably more life than 13".
Old 04-27-2016, 12:34 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I played exclusively on a notebook. That way I can play while the wife watches her shows and be in the same room (wives dig that for some reason!).

Quote:
-Are they a bit too small to see what's going on in the game world properly?
I don't have any issue. Your main issue will be the onboard graphics and how much view distance it can handle. Mine is a Intel HD4400 and it seems to have no trouble with dialing the distance all the way up.

Quote:
-Do you find the text in EQ easy to read on such a small screen size?
Fine for me. I think there is a way to change the size of text. Else you can change the font style to make it a little easier.

Quote:
-From your experience do you think a 13 inch screen size would make a massive difference over an 11 inch screen size (or is 13 still too small), taking into account 11inch is much more portable?
I wouldn't try to play on an 11 inch exclusively. I've used an 11 inch for work before and didn't really like it for general MS Office tasks so couldn't imagine it would be good for playing EQ.

Quote:
-Also, do you think EQ runs well on the notebook you are using/have used?
Runs perfectly on my laptop. See below for model and specs. EQ is a very old game, and this server is a classic emulation so it's not gonna need much grunt to do anything. I remember playing EQ Live back when it first came out on a Pentium 2 (or a Celeron, can't remember) and a Voodoo2... Ah... those were the days!

Quote:
-And if possible, what is the notebook you are using/have used? (Make/Model)
HP T5R13PA#ABG
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Intel Core i5-4210
Intel HD4400
8GB RAM
1TB SATA

Forgot to mention, notebook screen resolution is 1366 x 768, but I play in windowed mode at a slightly lower resolution. Image below is what my screen looks like, should help you make your decision.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (22.5 KB, 29 views)
Last edited by teamBlanky; 04-27-2016 at 12:40 PM..
Old 04-27-2016, 12:44 PM
Aviak

Thanks for the great replies! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

teamBlanky that screenshot is perfect, anything i was going to buy would be a 1366 x 768, it seems like all the UI windows fit on the screen well!

I'm going to try and borrow my neighbours 13inch hp stream book soon to see how well it runs on that, ill share my findings when ive given it a test.
Echinops (Cleric) <Ardness>
Old 04-27-2016, 01:00 PM
Planar Protector

Plane of Hate can be really choppy when monks are out pulling, suddenly a bunch of stuff moves at once and shit gets real slow for a while.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:36 PM
Aviak

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?it...82E16834299753

I have this laptop. Upgraded to Windows 10 and got a bigger SSD and it plays EQ great.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:44 PM
Planar Protector

i've played on a 11" laptop numerous times. Fine for me. Then again i also play in 800x600 resolution when i play on my desktop
Old 04-27-2016, 02:02 PM
Sarnak

I play on a late 2011 13" MacBook Pro. Runs EQ fine on Wine. I however have a large monitor for design work that I hook up to my laptop. When I play only on the laptop, my biggest problem is smaller chat windows. I always feel like chats fly by and I miss stuff because I made them substantially smaller to create more room for other windows. Otherwise, you just get used to it. I can't imagine playing any smaller though.
twitch.tv/kayyte_p99
Old 04-27-2016, 02:16 PM
Planar Protector

I play on dual 24" monitors and my overall experience with P99 has been pretty terrible.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella`Ella [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I play on dual 24" monitors and my overall experience with P99 has been pretty terrible.
Mine is a 21 incher I think... and never had any problems in the 1900x1020 or whatever it is resolution.
Closed Thread