Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 10:39 AM
Orc

Default Snap Agro Tanks

I plan to return to the game after a long time away. I tend to like to play tank classes and I was wondering if warrior taunt is useful now that Velius is out for standard group tanking? I used to play a paladin during live, so agro was always really easy to pull. What about SKs? I don't recall if their agro became good after Velius or not.

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2016, 10:45 AM
Fire Giant

Pally/sk are aggro kings but warriors are tankier

Make a warrior if you want to tank raid mobs and such. Knights are generally better for groups
Old 01-08-2016, 11:26 AM
Orc

cool thanks. I have a 28 war currently and a lvl 9 SK. I think I may focus more on the SK right now, but I am on the fence.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:41 PM
Sarnak

As Koopa says Wars are the big damage mitigators for the big targets.

Personally I would say dump most of your starting points into Dex for the better chance at weapons with proc procing, and not dumping them into the expected Sta stat. The extra HP is nice but a warrior can still tank well without it.

As a warrior I would say most of your aggro generation is gonna be from the tools of the trade as taunt will only get you so far. Having procs that proc regularly will help for warrior aggro. I played a woodelf warrior back in my live days and I was one of a few main tanks in our guild, so I know you don't need to dump most of the starter points into Sta.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:55 PM
Orc

Khandman...did you play in VoS on luclin? We had a woodelf tank there with a similar name.

I already made my troll war, so it's a bit late to turn back now haha.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:09 PM
Planar Protector

I'd argue no class in the game can rival a bard for aggro ... single target or aoe.

Downside?

Bards don't tank all that well [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

They can get the job done for xp groups, but they don't hold a candle to a monk/knight ... definitely not a warrior.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 01-08-2016, 01:16 PM
Orc

I like my war, it's just that I was running into issues grouping when people would want me to tank, but I couldn't hold agro, especially with all the twinks and their good weapons. Maybe I shouldn't care that much, but I used to take so much pride in the fact that no one used to be able to out agro me with my pal.

Perhaps I just need to get some good procing weps. Are there any cheap ones that proc under lvl 30? Right now I use a staff of battle to solo and a sword of skyfire / some other one hander (the one that looks like a giant cleaver). The 2 hand combo doesnt really pull agro and better than the staff and the staff hits like a truck.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:28 PM
Sarnak

Most dps twink classes (rogues, monks) don't master their evade / fd skills until after Mistmoore. The benefits of twink gear (like fungis) only really starts to fade off in the late 30s. By the 40s, the cleric will be yelling if she has to constantly heal the rogue, twink or not.

Just focus on getting some Yak proc weapons (SSoy starts at 37 I think) and try to grind it out until there. Things should start improving after that point.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:44 PM
Fire Giant

Don't forget the Obsidian Shard, procs at L17 I believe.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:53 PM
Planar Protector

One should not take pride in holding aggro as a knight. The toolset is simple, no excuse for not holding aggro imo.

Warriors require more gear and a dash of luck ... But more than anything ... A group that knows how to play.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Closed Thread