Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:08 PM
Sarnak

Default To play a Tank or not?

I am having a blast playing my Mag but I also want to have an ALT and try out other classes as part of the fun.

I am torn between a Warrior, Pally and SK. Maybe a Cleric as well. I think it would be fun and challenging to be a tank. It always seems to be a much needed class for RAIDS. Also, if anyone had any starter gear for a tank, I promise that they would get a return on their investment me as a player. Otherwise making a Warrior with out starter gear is suicide is not?

Old 11-29-2010, 09:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am having a blast playing my Mag but I also want to have an ALT and try out other classes as part of the fun.

I am torn between a Warrior, Pally and SK. Maybe a Cleric as well. I think it would be fun and challenging to be a tank. It always seems to be a much needed class for RAIDS. Also, if anyone had any starter gear for a tank, I promise that they would get a return on their investment me as a player. Otherwise making a Warrior with out starter gear is suicide is not?
You can grind up the money for a suit of bronze and a PGT relatively easily even if a warrior is your first character (which it isn't). An obsidian shard isn't much more expensive either. It's totally doable.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:23 PM
Planar Protector

problem with warr isn't getting the prerequisite gear...its that unless you have very very high end gear (and even then) a warr in classic is not going to be anywhere near as good at holding aggro as an sk/pally.

unless you are planning on joining a guild and raid tanking eventually (something a alt rarely does in any real raiding guild) then warr is not a great class in general. of course, different strokes for different folks and there are certainly some ppl who will tell you that they love just playing their warr.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:26 PM
Sarnak

@fastboy21 Could you please explain why Warriors can't hold aggro as well? How can this be the case, since Warriors get no spells, I thought that was the point?

Old 11-29-2010, 10:54 PM
Banned

Last edited by dredge; 12-12-2012 at 09:27 PM..
Old 11-29-2010, 10:54 PM
Planar Protector

warr only have a few ways of holding aggro:

1. regular damage output
2. taunt ability
3. weapon procs

warr damage output in classic is limited to the gear available and lacks compared to other classes that they need to out damage.

taunt is skill based and only works on mobs of equal or lesser level when successful. the way taunt works is that it momentarily puts the war at the top of the aggro list. once there, however, it is up to the war to keep aggro from reverting back to others. this is very difficult considering other classes damage output compared to warr.

weapon procs that have aggro on them (pgt, obsidian shard, ssoy, axe of slayers, etc.) are the best way for a warr to hold aggro. some warrs (especially non-twinks) may not have access to proccing weapons, and for those who can afford them they are dictated by the RNG giving you a proc. you can't count on a proc in the instant that the healer pulls aggro or the wizard over nukes.

this is why tank casters (sk/pally) have an advantage. they can easily gain aggro from the beginning of a fight allowing max dps almost from the beginning on most exp camps, and regain aggro easily if they lose it by casting.

the one advantage that warrs have is that their mitigation is higher than other tanks so they can take more of a beating. warrs also get significant gear and discs that allow them to be the tank par excellence by the end of velious, especially for most raid mobs. war also get to level faster than their sk/pally counterparts, but I hardly consider that much of an advantage.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Planar Protector

i should also say this...i play a gnome warrior. with two ssoys and an fbss i do a good job of holding aggro...however:

it really helps to be grouped with people that understand how warr aggro works. you need to give a warr a few seconds to build aggro before DPS classes start throwing their bombs in---sometimes you may even wait until you see my first proc.

for some reason, maybe because of other mmos, it seems that more EQ players have forgotten how important aggro control is on p99. i often grp with folks that will start nuking and super high damage output before i have even landed my first attack. this simply does not work well in EQ.

having said that, given a good grp that knows how to play and manage aggro a warr is a great tank that can do fine compared to SK and pally.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:02 PM
Sarnak

Is calling attack not done much here on this server? I remember "the rule" was not to attack after assist until the tank in question calls for it. Might be short wait for SK or Paladin, or longer wait to count of 10-15 for warriors.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Kobold

I just started playing a tank two weeks ago when I joined the server. Loving it. The challege of aggro management is pretty fun!

Unless you are going all out to twink a tank, I would say an SK or Pally would make a much funner alt. Try one of those out first, see if you like them. If you have any questions with warrior though, let me know!
Old 11-30-2010, 12:09 AM
Kobold

MONK!! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] they are fun
Closed Thread