Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 01:45 PM
Large Bat

Default First Gear to buy Poor Shaman

Hey all! So I'm a level 6 shaman currently hunting near Upper Guk. New to the game since live YEARS ago. I don't have much at the moment but I just wanted to get an idea of what I should first be saving up my money for in terms of gear (I know I'll be buying important spells first.)

I've done some research and believe it would be some banded armor? Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

What about weapon and/or shield?

Any help would be appreciated as I would like to try to plan out my leveling a bit.

In game name is Jooster - Ogre shammy loving being in Norrath again!
Old 09-29-2015, 02:22 PM
Planar Protector

55 HP rings.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Old 09-29-2015, 02:36 PM
Planar Protector

Very first thing should be a cheap weapon, as you can still melee passably for a while. Something like a Brell's Keg Popper you might be able to get surprisingly cheap.

After that I'd suggest the 55hp/5ac rings (fire wedding rings or something?)

Honestly, I think you'll get plenty of AC from netted/woven/mesh if you keep fighting in guk till 20ish. At that stage you'll begin to want to avoid being hit at all.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:26 PM
Large Bat

Thanks for the advice you guys! Looks like I'll be trying to save up the plat for 55hp/5ac rings as those seem to be highly suggested. Will get some form of weapon and armor if I see a good deal or something.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:56 PM
Sarnak

HINT: When in Oggok for training or banking or whaever, keep an eye out for non-ogre players killing Bashers (guards). They are often there only for the XP and will only loot the coin leaving a Large Round Shield and a Fine Steel weapon.
Looting the weapons and shields would weigh them down rather quickly and they obviously can't sell them in Oggok so they are often left to rot.
If you are patient and ask nicely, they usually have no objection to young Ogres looting those items after the decay timer is under 5:00 minutes.
Just target the corpse and then "con" it to see how much time is left before the corpse rots.
My baby ogre SK picked up a Large Round Shield (good AC), a Fine Steel 1HS, 2HS, 1HB, 2HB and a Piercing weapon and made over 200pp selling off the weapons I got duplicates of just by sitting around and chatting with a Druid for a couple of hours while he killed guards.
Just make sure you don't group with the guard killer or assist him in any way so as not to ruin your home town faction. Looting a corpse has no effect on faction.
Most guards also carry A Crude Stein. It has. 3 charge clicky Minor Heal and sells for just over 4gp to vendors, but it is LORE so you can only posess one at a time.
Last edited by Charlievox; 10-02-2015 at 01:00 PM..
Old 10-02-2015, 02:11 PM
Large Bat

@Charlievox - Thanks for the hint there man! I did manage to sell one Crude Stein off a dead guard but haven't gotten any of the shields nor fine steel weapons. The 1hb, 2hb, and piercing weaps would be a nice upgrade to my basic ones I've picked up while leveling.

I've gotten some very helpful buffs (armor, regen, damage shields) while leveling and just hit level 8 last night before logging. Rocking netted and large cloth gear along with a cracked staff (1hb), rusty spear (piercing), and rusty two-handed hammer (2hb).
Old 10-03-2015, 01:04 AM
Fire Giant

The problem with making a fresh fatty character (ogre or troll) is armor, especially banded to get started with. Sure, you can make the heroic run from either Innothule or Feerrott to Nektulos and bash skellies and bears to save bone chips and HQ bear pelts to sell, but converting that starting money into the good armor... oi.

The only vendors you'll have easy access to getting Large Molds are back in the troll and ogre homelands, as well as the barbarian fishing village in West Karana. But that is the trick - if you're willing to do the footwork ahead of time to procure the molds and/or additional materials (water flasks, metal sheets), then you usually have some decent luck finding someone in EC to make the armor for a fee or for free.

Tons of the players have smithing on their characters for the Coldain Prayer Shawl questline. None of them want to make the run to get those stupid molds.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:27 AM
Kobold

If you still don't have armor in your late teens, the gnolls in Highpass drop large ringmail
Old 10-13-2015, 08:36 AM
Skeleton

Testament of Vanear is a great item to get as a lowbie. Im pretty sure you can invis pass the guards straight to the NPC and hang out in the hallway in the bar room to avoid any guards aggroing on you.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Testament_of_Vanear_Quest
Old 10-14-2015, 01:37 PM
Large Bat

@NegaStoat - that's a good point. In the time I've been in EC or passing through, I've never seen anyone selling large banded armor.

@Pipip - Thanks for the advice there! I'm level 16 or so now so iirc Highpass isn't too far off for me now. Correct me if I'm wrong.

@PoM - I've looked up that quest but haven't seen a very good guide on getting it for evil races. I'd definitely like that item though!

Being in my mid-teens I'm currently rocking mostly large rawhide armor now. In croc and orc groups in Oasis, I'm able to heal quite well. I've heard Kurn Tower is amazing till 19 plus the plat I could make off the bone chips but I'm concerned about the trek and dying out there with no easy way of getting back. Trying to figure out where to go next and when.
Closed Thread