Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-02-2015, 01:34 AM
Banned

Default Ram Disk

Anyone had success playing P99 on a Ram Disk or whatever you call it? My P99 folder is only like 4 gigs and I have 8 gigs of ram atm. Got me thinking I don't see any reason why I couldn't do like a 4.5gb partition and load it in there. I know there's programs like Dimmdrive that will automatically save info to your HDD as well so you don't lose stuff. I just don't want to spend $30 on it and find out it won't work for whatever reason. Obviously prefer a free alternative if a good one exists.

Anyone tried to do this? What programs work well?
Old 09-02-2015, 01:37 AM
Planar Protector

a flash drive? It works.

Halloween 2015 event: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/23440971

PL service
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=313502
Old 09-02-2015, 02:17 AM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Thulghor Send a message via MSN to Thulghor Send a message via Yahoo to Thulghor

Yeah, I use the AMD Ramdisk by AMD and Dataram.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/memory/ramdisk

I can't believe I played this game without it. I zone so fast sometimes it is shocking. Load times are nearly non-existent, other than the initial startup one, which goes by pretty fast.

You can trim down your EQ installation for Project 1999 to 2 Gigs or less (think there is a guide around here somewhere, might have to search "EQ Lite" or something), so the free version, which is only 4 gigs of space, will easily fit.

I highly recommend it.
<The Second Sons> (former member of <Vesica Dei>, <Evoluxa>)

Green Server: Khargulkaronarr - Troll Shadowknight of Cazic Thule - <Venerate>, Mordwin - Human Paladin of Erollisi Marr - <Venerate>, Konquest Unrivaled - Barbarian Warrior of Rallos Zek - <Venerate>

(Once Upon a Time: Alarik of the Brell Serilis server)
Old 09-02-2015, 04:02 AM
Banned

Awesome that's what I wanted to hear. Does that program automatically backup to HDD so you don't lose your whole directory on power loss or whatever?

Edit: Nvm answered my own question. Just read the page you linked. Will try it out as soon as I find that guide to lower my P99 folder size. Thanks pal!
Last edited by jcr4990; 09-02-2015 at 04:15 AM..
Old 09-02-2015, 03:10 PM
Aviak

I use ramdisk and love it. The major problem i encountered was running windows 7, its a memory hog. I was able to run eq and that was about it on 8 gigs of ram, forget about watching youtube or opening a web page. In the end I installed 16 gigs and its been fine since.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:18 PM
Planar Protector

I also use Ramdisk, I think my partition is only actually 2GB. As you probably already discovered you can save your state on shutdown. Remember to keep an eye on the size of log files and the such.
Some other toons
Formerly of TZ
Old 09-02-2015, 04:47 PM
Kobold

Using a RAM disk isnt going to be much better than using an SSD (unless you have a shitty SSD).

Sorry to spoil the party.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:49 PM
Planar Protector

I have an old shitty SSD and it runs the same speed as Ramdisk for me.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteso [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Using a RAM disk isnt going to be much better than using an SSD (unless you have a shitty SSD).

Sorry to spoil the party.
I don't even have an SSD yet [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I managed to get ramdisk up and running. It's definitely faster than my HDD but not like 10x faster like I was told it would be lol. It's maybe like 15-20% faster to zone? Without timing it just a rough estimate. Kind of a disappointment I expected a lot more. Not sure its worth it cause I'm paranoid about losing power or whatever and losing data.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:58 PM
Planar Protector

Anyone else try it after seeing this thread? Kind of tempted but I'm bad at replacing comptuer hardware if the pixel shit hits the fan.