Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 08:16 AM
Kobold

Default Best Shaman Race?

Just wondering about shaman on blue.

Started up an Iksar on blue who is a blast, but I'm a tad worried that being hated everywhere will really hinder my experience. Any thoughts on that?

Seems like most shaman races are evil except Barbarians. But I don't have much interest in playing a Barb. More into Iksar and Trolls.

Am I missing any cool quests or gear that I should be aware of by not playing a certain race?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:23 AM
Sarnak

Well, here's the big thing in my eyes (I'm not a min/max type of person, though I do like to be in good shape to be "solid"):

Barbarians are going to be welcome pretty much everywhere besides evil areas (which is a large portion of the cities in the game, to be honest).

Trolls and Ogres will be welcome in Grobb, Oggok and Neriak, but not many other places. Which can be a pain.

Iksar aren't welcome anywhere but Cabilis. Which is definitely a pain.

But, if that's something you're prepared to deal with, snag the one that you want to play. That's a tired answer, and not what you're looking for, but if being KOS everywhere is a big deal to you your best bet is a barbarian. Trolls and Ogres are the in between (although all of the cities you'd be welcome in are in Antonica). Iksars are terrible in that sense.

Obviously, you can do faction work through grinding.

But I think that's what your decision boils down to... Do you want to deal with KOS?
Old 05-14-2015, 08:26 AM
Planar Protector

Troll shamans worshiping Innoruuk get a very long casting, short duration snare necklace.

Iksars can't slam like the other 3.

Server is riddled with shamans, and I think it's fair to say about 80% of them are trolls/ogres. People don't pick barbarians partly because of their starting area, I think. Same for other barbarian classes.

Iksar have the best starting area hands down... and with Velious not too far away you don't have to worry so much about being dealt out of some decent armor pieces, although you'll never use a Jaundiced Bone Bracer. If that's a clincher, don't pick an iksar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

At least with faction you know where you stand as a lizard, kill everything and nothing will change [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-14-2015, 08:38 AM
Kobold

I'm surprised about the lack of Barbs. I'd have guessed they would be the most popular race for a shaman.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:10 AM
Planar Protector

There were definitely more barb shamans on live "back in the day", unless my 15 year old memories are warped... might well be.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:12 AM
Sarnak

Everfrost is kind of isolated. But I don't think it's a bad area. Easy access to Blackburrow and Qeynos.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:15 AM
Sarnak

Ogre is best at 60 for soloing, frontal stun immunity (probably better for leveling as well if soloing.)

Troll is best for sexy and regen.

Iksar has good stats, AC bonus and regen, no JBB as someone else mentioned.

Barbarians basically only have the city friendly old world advantage.

Ogre is the power gamer's choice. Shaman is incredibly powerful, they are all fine. Once you have torpor it hardly matters.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:26 AM
Planar Protector

Anything but barbarian
Old 05-14-2015, 09:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There were definitely more barb shamans on live "back in the day", unless my 15 year old memories are warped... might well be.
There definitely were a lot more, most of the shamans I played with regularly on live were barbs.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:35 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion_Standing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anything but barbarian
To some that faction is a big reason TO play barbarian.

That's not to say there aren't other advantages for the others.

Actually, to be honest, I don't find frontal stun immunity to be that big of a deal and find Ogre to be the worst Shaman choice.

Barb for faction, Troll for having more accessible cities than Iksar/Regen, Iksar for starting zone, ac and regen.

To each their own, really. It's just good for people to know what they're choosing when they choose it.
Closed Thread