Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 09:56 AM
Aviak

Lightbulb *sigh* You can't win, sometimes. Tanking Monk screws up, blames me for living while t

Yep, you just can't win some days.

There I am in Blackburrow at level eight, recently joined up with an uber twinked (by my new on 1999 standards) level nine Monk who I'd been chatting with for the better part of the day, having run across each other farming Blackburrow for quest stuff - fangs, etc.

I'm a Barbarian rogue new on server - my latest alt, after only a few weeks casual play here. I'm untwinked, except for some Bone Legplates handed down by a nice passer by. Just wearing a combination of tattered and leather gear, nothing to write home about.

So - uber twink leads me up to the snake pit, and he's doing great, killing everything in a few seconds with little help from untwinked me. I'm lucky to score more than a few weak hits.

Anyway - uber twink is being uber, but he is taking damage. I'm a wee bit alarmed that he heads into another fight with less than 15% HPs. But hey - he's the uber twink. What do I know in my quest and tailored gear?

Well, uber twink kills the new target, but then somhow draws about four gnolls onto himself. I try to help, but I'm doing bugger all damage, and in a few seconds I'm down to 70% HPs as uber twink kills one, then backs off, and yells "Tank!" at me. Ok, I give it a shot :-D But a couple more seconds and I'm below 50%. Nope, not going to work. With uber twink yelling at me to stay and tank and his HPs in single figues now mobs are back on him, I have cut and run, before I get the low hitpoint speed nerf, and can't get away.

Sorry dude, you were real nice and all, but I aint gonna die and have another long run back from Halas, cause you think I can tank four mobs in tattered and leather for the most part, as a newbie rogue. Yep - he was pissed at me, and let me know in chat in no uncertain terms. Thought I ought to have - in fact could have saved him, and tanked the remaining three mobs. I didn't even bother pointing out to him that he was the one who failed to regen a while - who the heck goes into a fight like that at 15% health?

I'm sure he was a nice guy who was just frustrated by the situation, but people - please don't blame the rogue or any non-FDing (or other method of escape) DPS class, when they cut and run and leave you - the tank to die. You're the tank. Or a class playing at tank. I play tanks, and I don't ask the DPSers or heals to sacrifice themselves for me so I can live a tiny bit longer, and watch us all die. I might still run, after warning everyone else too "ZONE!", but chances are by that point I've enough aggro and low HPs I'm screwed as a tank, unless heals have gone overboard trying to save us, and they get aggro and I can run.

Still, regardless - if I can run and avoid a pointless death in a no-win situation on any class, I'll generally do so. And I'm not sorry, no matter how much you gripe at me. I've been playing EQ for a decade and a half, with gaps for other MMOs. I know a hopeless situation when I see one. Asking a weak untwinked rogue to tank three yellow cons is just that.

The point of my rant is thus: don't blame others when you screw up, and even if it was just bad luck, still don't blame them when they choose to live, when you were going to die anyway. Maybe you'll feel better when everyone dies, but I won't, and neither will anyone else who had the wits to realise it was hopeless, and their corpse would be left in a horrible place.

The best thing to do is stay on my good side - especially as a rogue or invising class, and get me to recover your corpse for you after I escape. I'll gladly do that. More than happy to :-) Chances are doing so will get us back up and running ten times faster than if I have to run back from hell knows where naked, and only then start hide and sneaking to recover our corpses.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:02 AM
Banned

Just level 8, aint nobody got time for you pal. Go farm some HQ bear pelts or diseased pelts in q hills, turn em in for the plats.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:04 AM
Planar Protector

If you just have a basic dagger to damage with, there's no way you'd ever be able to get those gnolls off.

Probably someone's little brother/son/pet cat who has all the gear but none of the skill.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:34 AM
Sarnak

More than half the monks on this server are brain dead morons. I guess this is another one for that category.

Juevento - Druid <Free Agent>
Old 08-28-2014, 10:38 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juevento [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
More than half the monks on this server are brain dead morons. I guess this is another one for that category.
bracer
Old 08-28-2014, 10:38 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juevento [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
More than half the people on this server are brain dead morons. I guess this is another one for that category.
FTFY
Old 08-28-2014, 10:53 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by thieros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
bracer
Bracer is a wunderkind among monks. You would be so lucky to have him in your group.

Juevento - Druid <Free Agent>
Old 08-28-2014, 11:09 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardling [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm untwinked, except for some Bone Legplates[...]
My favorite part.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:28 AM
Banned

I came back and actually re-read OP. You should write an adventure novelization.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:28 AM
Banned

Maybe even make it like one of those chose your own story books were you pick an option and jump pages.
Closed Thread