Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 11:21 PM
Aviak

Default Casual ranger - velious weaponry?

Does Velious hold any weapon upgrades for the casual ranger? Currently I'm using the Woodsmans staff, but I'd rather be dual wielding. Having played a paladin on live, I had plenty of experience with 2h weapons and was hoping for something a little different this time around with my ranger. However, I don't like using considerably inferior weaponry just to have fun with dual wield.

The epic will probably always be out of my reach, even if/when VSR is implemented. Looking at the wiki, it seems like the best realistic options will be a 10/18 Crafted Velium Warsword or 12/20 Exquisite Velium Battlehammer. Will these or any other likely affordable options ever outdamage the Woodsmans?
Old 08-24-2014, 12:09 AM
Sarnak

Either of those with basically any decent offhand will outdamage Woodsman's 55+.
Frostbringer / Club of the Ice Ocean will probably be about a wash with Woodsman's.

Maybe Cecily will link that handy dandy spreadsheet for you.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:00 PM
Planar Protector

First I heard of it being useful to anyone haha. Here you go. Hope it helps.

Ranger Weapon Comparison Spreadsheet

Input your level, DW skill, DA skill, weapon damage, weapon delay, and haste (as a decimal ie .36 for CoF's 36%). Make sure you use the appropriate column for your 2 hander's delay to make sure you get the proper dmg bonus calc.

What this will do is spit out a dual weapon setup DPS rating and you can see how it compares to a 2 hander at a given level of haste etc. Was helpful for me. 9/17 dagger from HS + Swiftwind is the best DPS setup for Kunark. Woodsman is very VERY good however.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:40 AM
Planar Protector

Should be a number of proc weapons that come with Vel for the ranger. I don't recall the specifics, but remember various drops such as from giants etc. Some weapon proc spells. Then of course Bows get much better with fleeting quiver (bow haste), makes root-rot & shoot more viable.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywolf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Should be a number of proc weapons that come with Vel for the ranger. I don't recall the specifics, but remember various drops such as from giants etc. Some weapon proc spells. Then of course Bows get much better with fleeting quiver (bow haste), makes root-rot & shoot more viable.
Still doesnt make root/shoot viable because of fleeting quiver. It's only a extra 20% haste. Maybe r/s a mob down while trueshot going but thats about it.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Still doesnt make root/shoot viable because of fleeting quiver. It's only a extra 20% haste. Maybe r/s a mob down while trueshot going but thats about it.
Wut? 20% haste makes bows "less-viable" then? k........
Maybe you just need a better bow. Those ones you buy off the ranger guild vendor are only meant to be starting equipment.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywolf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wut? 20% haste makes bows "less-viable" then? k........
Maybe you just need a better bow. Those ones you buy off the ranger guild vendor are only meant to be starting equipment.
Lol i can use my Windstriker i have and its still not going to beat my epic/Sky weapon. It's not less viable with 20% haste but even with the 20% haste its still not a viable way killing mobs unless you love summoning arrows.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol i can use my Windstriker i have and its still not going to beat my epic/Sky weapon. It's not less viable with 20% haste but even with the 20% haste its still not a viable way killing mobs unless you love summoning arrows.
Well depends on the mob, but you can fletch arrows, it's not that expensive actually. You root, dot and then bow the mob down to whatever % you can handle a melee take down. It's old school bow tactic, especially before fear kiting for rangers came around. And you don't need an epic bow to do it, but better than a vendor bow and with a good delay/damage ratio. Beats pretending you are a tank [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-23-2014, 11:22 PM
Large Bat

Glowing Black Blade or something like that is a lore 1hs item drops in Kael that adds 20 dex if you are a casual ranger interested in improving bow damage/crit.

Dengarr
Old 10-04-2014, 03:32 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
9/17 dagger from HS + Swiftwind is the best DPS setup for Kunark.
Could someone verify how true this is?

A pure ratio comparison suggests that Earthcaller is the best offhand in Kunark. Taking into account the proc damage and the strength (so long as it's not going to waste) puts this rather substantially above the 9/17 dagger, no?

The only weapon even close or maybe better is the Razor Fang of Xygoz according to the wiki.
Closed Thread