Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 01:51 PM
Fire Giant

Default Anyone else work in EMS?

Just got hired as a medic in a hospital emergency room. Anyone else work in an ER as an emt/medic/RN?

How do you like the 12 hour shifts, and the overall work environment? Friends have told me the ER is the worst department in a hospital to work in, any truth to this? Share your experiences fellow EMS workers
Old 03-18-2014, 02:34 PM
Planar Protector

ER def not the worst dept to work in, probably one of the better ones honestly. I did 6 years in the US Army as a medic. One of those years I was actually an EMT on base. 12 hour shifts sucked sometimes but having more days off during the week made up for it. it actually might be a little more chill on the civilian side since your scope of practice is very limited. when we werent responding to calls we were working the ER doing all sorts of shit from IVs to flushing out ear wax. oh and dont forget your TUBES (totally unnecessary breast exams)!
Last edited by SamwiseRed; 03-18-2014 at 02:55 PM..
Old 03-18-2014, 02:57 PM
Planar Protector

Wife works as a nurse at the children's hospital. Loves it, even when things get hairy. Working under stress like that keeps your mind shark and your reflexes quick. Just try not to let the stuff get to you too much.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 03-18-2014, 03:27 PM
Kobold

Saw EMS and immediately thought "Eastern Mountain Sports" -whoops.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:36 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwiseRed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ER def not the worst dept to work in, probably one of the better ones honestly. I did 6 years in the US Army as a medic. One of those years I was actually an EMT on base. 12 hour shifts sucked sometimes but having more days off during the week made up for it. it actually might be a little more chill on the civilian side since your scope of practice is very limited. when we werent responding to calls we were working the ER doing all sorts of shit from IVs to flushing out ear wax. oh and dont forget your TUBES (totally unnecessary breast exams)!
Are you out of the military now? If so, what's your occupation?
Old 03-19-2014, 10:30 AM
Banned

Good luck, if you work in EMS there is no help for u. But u will live a fulfilling life full of tragedy and miracles. Def going to end up insane.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:23 AM
Planar Protector

Peter Petrelli seemed to enjoy it (Heroes reference) [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-19-2014, 02:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good luck, if you work in EMS there is no help for u. But u will live a fulfilling life full of tragedy and miracles. Def going to end up insane.
this makes that job more appealing to me.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:17 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twainz b a fat snitch [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
nothing worse than going out and getting a gnarly broken bone or cut, go to the er and hope some hot nurse is gonna come work her magic only to find some fat hairy dude come to play with my nuts.
Lol, the hot nurses work in L&D, so they don't have to tend to fat fucks like you in the ER
Old 03-20-2014, 03:50 PM
Kobold

Been a firefighter/EMT for a year now.. riding the ambulance can be fun and it can really suck haha. I'm currently going to school to be a nurse since I feel like as it is I'm just a watered down nurse anyway.