Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 01:19 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Nearly 15 years of gaming, and I'm back where I started????? AHHHH!

No, seriously, think about it! EQ was probably a lot of our first games. For me, it was my 2nd, Ultima Online sort of absorbed my life completely around the same time. My brother and I went to EQ after tram was released on UO. We figured if they were going to turn it into a PVE game, go to a better PVE game. I was 10 or 11 years old? I don't remember anything other than getting lost a lot.

I've played just about every major title released since that time. I've had fun here and there, but games seem to of gone in a different direction since the days of EQ. I'm not even entirely sure whats different about them, but its something. The fact that I can get on a game as old as EQ and have more fun is odd to me since most of these new titles have a lot of the same properties of EQ. But, then again, something is just different...

ANYWHO!!! I'm starting fresh on Project 1999 and I'm completely lost (ONCE AGAIN). Any tips of a good starting character? I've been hearing a lot of people say that some of these classes are gear dependent. Is there a certain class I should stay away from as a fresh start guy? Any good guides out there on starting stats and such?

THANKS!!
Old 02-22-2014, 01:23 PM
Planar Protector

Best to stay away from melee as a fresh start class. Mage or necro is a good choice and not very gear dependent.
[XX Rogue] Hailto (Half-Elf)
Red:
[21 Wizard] Hailto (Dark-Elf)
Old 02-22-2014, 01:39 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Appreciate it!!
Old 02-22-2014, 01:39 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumblegut [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No, seriously, think about it! EQ was probably a lot of our first games. For me, it was my 2nd, Ultima Online sort of absorbed my life completely around the same time. My brother and I went to EQ after tram was released on UO. We figured if they were going to turn it into a PVE game, go to a better PVE game. I was 10 or 11 years old? I don't remember anything other than getting lost a lot.

Jeez man, that is exactly the same way it went for me...Except i was 16ish and my brother was 20ish...
Old 02-22-2014, 01:46 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailto [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Best to stay away from melee as a fresh start class. Mage or necro is a good choice and not very gear dependent.
I disagree completely.

Best advice ever is to play whatever interests you the most, regardless of gear or grouping considerations.

Classic EQ is all about the adventure and the struggle. Take your time getting to the top, don't be bothered by obstacles. Any class you play here on P99 is going to be viable and will have people to group with. Disregard min/maxing your play experience and just let it happen.

Millburn Pennybags - Blue
Palmer Eldritch - Teal
Old 02-22-2014, 01:48 PM
Kobold

Welcome! It's like Hailto said, but if those don't sound fun to you, I wouldn't recommend them. In strategic planning terms, they're great for levelling up quick and getting rich to supply your next alt. If that doesn't sound fun to you either, I wouldn't recommend that course of action either.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:03 PM
Fire Giant

Agreed. Play whatever interests you. If you are not power leveled, and you have a job/family like most of us, then it is going to take you a very long time until you care about high end gear. Have fun.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:10 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailto [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No. This player is way too optimistic to just want to be a farmer/maxer.

OP, play what race looks the coolest and what class sounds the coolest.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millburn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I disagree completely.

Best advice ever is to play whatever interests you the most, regardless of gear or grouping considerations.

Classic EQ is all about the adventure and the struggle. Take your time getting to the top, don't be bothered by obstacles. Any class you play here on P99 is going to be viable and will have people to group with. Disregard min/maxing your play experience and just let it happen.
Well op specifically mentioned certain ckasses being gear dependent. People play different ways, some people are interested in what is the most efficient.
[XX Rogue] Hailto (Half-Elf)
Red:
[21 Wizard] Hailto (Dark-Elf)
Old 02-22-2014, 02:20 PM
Kobold

I rolled a monk as my first character and that was kind of a mistake. I'm level 47 and still incredibly poor. I then started a shaman. He's level 34 now with horrible equipment.

Now I'm leveling a enchanter, which is what I should have started with. I can get over 200 cha for pretty cheap. Equipment matters on here because everyone else is so twinked out that you'll group with.
Closed Thread