Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default When did we get so soft?

I started playing on this server a couple months ago, to bring back the feeling of a game I loved so very much. But I can't help but notice, why is it that people are so afraid of dying on this server and exploring new places? I notice it time and time again, people are afraid to go places because they don't want a mass CR, or they are just too scared, or lazy, not familiar enough, or whatever other excuse. All that seems to have been replaced by the basically skillless leveling that goes on in most open zones, all the way up until level 60. Sure it's easier, more consistent xp. But did we all fall in love with this game because getting to 60 was so easy?

What made this game was the fear that you didn't know what was waiting for you around the corner. That if you died, getting your corpse would suck bad, but it wouldn't stop you from going back. You wanted to go back, you wanted to get better, you wanted to show that bitch froglok caster that rooted you and chain nuked you till death that you weren't afraid of it, and that it would be dead soon enough.

It's sad now, people all crowd to the same, no brains easy mode zones. Unrest, Mistmoore, OT, City of Mist, etc. I got caught in the same trap for awhile when I first started, then it suddenly hit me. None of these zones have made me any better at my class than I was at level 1. In fact, I think I was actually better 13 years ago at this game. So I quit my main, and am ready to reroll with a fresh view on leveling.

I love the community we have here. It's a great thing to be able to still have something like this. So let's do eachother all a favor and help one another actually explore zones that you can't cast SoW in, become better at our classes (even if that means dying more), leveling in more than 5 zones from 1-60, and just do what we should be doing, having FUN.
Last edited by dancingclown22; 09-25-2013 at 12:50 PM..
Old 09-25-2013, 12:49 PM
Planar Protector

I blame Dorito's Locos Tacos.

But really, people just want the path of least resistance from 1->60.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:54 PM
Sarnak

If we had 2-3 times the pop like an actual live server back in the day, people would be leveling in many different places.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Planar Protector

There's nothing innately wrong with following the path of least resistance. We would have done it back in the day too, if we had only known what that path was.

I tended to stick to the easy+safe+"best" path with the characters I've leveled to date, which is why I spent so much time solo; it's just less hassle to xp (or farm) solo when I want to how I want to than it is to try to find a group to go crawl around in the bottom of a nasty-but-cool dungeon.

Since I have accomplished all my current goals with Tecmos (60, epic, rich, basically), I've been much more prone to do the dumb and hard but extra fun things, often while streaming them, but unfortunately I've got basically no playtime anymore [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by this user was banned [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If we had 2-3 times the pop like an actual live server back in the day, people would be leveling in many different places.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 09-25-2013 at 12:59 PM..
Old 09-25-2013, 01:00 PM
Banned

I think cucumbers is still exping along the KC wall in dreadlands.....=p
Old 09-25-2013, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

the safe/easy exp spots were always the busiest on live. With less competition than there was in those days people have the ability to pick the choice camps a lot of the time. I love exploring new zones and exping in places that I have never been to before, but I completely understand peoples reasons for sticking to those "safe" zones.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Planar Protector

I heard Cucumbers is still turning in stacks of gnoll fangs.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 09-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Planar Protector

I heard Cucumbers is still delivering mail to Kelethin.
in words of anal fingers, just a filthy spaniard
Old 09-25-2013, 02:45 PM
Planar Protector

I heard Cucumbers is still potentially going to become a pickle.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:51 PM
Sarnak

I seen many people level 1-50 beg for an XP res, I ate a death in 59 just to get to damn raid. People are just too soft and expect things handed to them and act as if getting a click should just happen. A lot of the ways people act on P99 shows what the last 10 years of video games have made people accustom to.
Stunz Andmezs - 60 Enchanter
Bripip - 60 Wizard
Bogmuk - 59 Warrior
Rational - 55 Shaman
Paradoxy - 42 Ranger
Closed Thread