Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 09:10 AM
Planar Protector

Default Ogre or Gnome?!

Well, as I work on building my "1 of every tank + 1 ranger" account to completion (9 erudite paladin, 36 ogre sk, and 24 human ranger so far!), I'm starting to think I want to make the warrior for the account soon. But I'm quite torn on what race.

On the one hand, ogres are immune to frontal stuns. And after starting this account with the ogre SK, and then doing the erudite pally and human ranger, I have concluded that I would rather have my balls cut off IRL than spend 60 levels getting constantly bash stunned. However, my intense hatred of stuns might be partly due to the fact that I often fight multiples with these twinks, and those mobs tend to be near or above my character's level, and the those two characters also are trying to cast spells frequently... so maybe as I level up and I more often deal with just 1 mob at a time and that 1 mob misses more of its bashes and I'm on a warrior, it won't be so bad? I also FEEL (but certainly don't know) like ogres have a better melee reach than the lesser races? Certainly seems easier to stay in range of fleeing mobs on my SK than it does my ranger.

On the other hand, gnomes. Ya heard? Gnomes. Gnome warriors are less common on p99 than erudite paladins. Gnome warriors have incredibly godly Velious armor models. And Velious gear, even for a fella like me who plays a shitload but doesn't do hardcore raiding, will do a nice job I think, compensating for a gnome's less-than-ideal stats. But yeah, they get stunned by bash and they maybe have melee reach issues?

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 06-07-2013 at 09:14 AM..
Old 06-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Planar Protector

I don't think frontal melee stun immunity and melee reach are so huge for warriors that it should preclude you from rolling whatever race you'd enjoy most. Rallos Zek-worshipping Halfling warrior is the way to go, though.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 06-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, as I work on building my "1 of every tank + 1 ranger" account to completion (9 erudite paladin, 36 ogre sk, and 24 human ranger so far!), I'm starting to think I want to make the warrior for the account soon. But I'm quite torn on what race.

On the one hand, ogres are immune to frontal stuns. And after starting this account with the ogre SK, and then doing the erudite pally and human ranger, I have concluded that I would rather have my balls cut off IRL than spend 60 levels getting constantly bash stunned. However, my intense hatred of stuns might be partly due to the fact that I often fight multiples with these twinks, and those mobs tend to be near or above my character's level, and the those two characters also are trying to cast spells frequently... so maybe as I level up and I more often deal with just 1 mob at a time and that 1 mob misses more of its bashes and I'm on a warrior, it won't be so bad? I also FEEL (but certainly don't know) like ogres have a better melee reach than the lesser races? Certainly seems easier to stay in range of fleeing mobs on my SK than it does my ranger.

On the other hand, gnomes. Ya heard? Gnomes. Gnome warriors are less common on p99 than erudite paladins. Gnome warriors have incredibly godly Velious armor models. And Velious gear, even for a fella like me who plays a shitload but doesn't do hardcore raiding, will do a nice job I think, compensating for a gnome's less-than-ideal stats. But yeah, they get stunned by bash and they maybe have melee reach issues?

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't think the rarity bit there is actually correct, there are definitely a few gnomophiles around. If you want rare/unique, I have yet to see a female wood elf warrior (never saw one on live either.) Plenty female woody druids & rangers, of course, and the occasional rogue, but not seen a warrior.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Sarnak

Most druids are halfling. Guess people REALLY like that 10% exp bonus.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think frontal melee stun immunity and melee reach are so huge for warriors that it should preclude you from rolling whatever race you'd enjoy most. Rallos Zek-worshipping Halfling warrior is the way to go, though.
I always pick what I want. I just am asking for help deciding which of these two I really want more! Like I said, I'd rather be a enuch than spend 60 levels getting bashstunned. But gnomes!
Old 06-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't think the rarity bit there is actually correct, there are definitely a few gnomophiles around. If you want rare/unique, I have yet to see a female wood elf warrior (never saw one on live either.) Plenty female woody druids & rangers, of course, and the occasional rogue, but not seen a warrior.
http://p1999pop.dmsimard.com/details/Classes/warrior

Droppin dat data on you.

Besides, I obviously am not making my decision based solely on rarity.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 06-07-2013 at 02:02 PM..
Old 06-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Planar Protector

If I were you, I'd go gnome. It's annoying being a large race (from what I'm told), and ogre warriors are so overdone. Gnomes can see through walls, are cute/pocket-sized, can pick interesting religions (I'd go Bertox!) and are beloved by all.

I was thinking about making a warrior too, and decided on Iksar for forage and regen. Don't underestimate the power of forage on a character without mana.

Red99
Old 06-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaniron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Most druids are halfling. Guess people REALLY like that 10% exp bonus.
Racial sneak!
Old 06-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Sarnak

Dwarven Barrel Roll pretty much wins.
Gregyn <Divinity> --- 51 Druid
Kaldek <Divinity --- 48 Warrior
Leerick <Divinity> --- EC Mule
Old 06-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was thinking about making a warrior too, and decided on Iksar for forage and regen. Don't underestimate the power of forage on a character without mana.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dwarven Barrel Roll pretty much wins.
The decision is between being big, buff, and immune to stun or being little, awesome-looking in Velious, and rare. I don't wanna have to buy an AoN so that I don't puke every time I watch myself swing a sword or have to be attracted to beareded women.
Closed Thread