Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Kobold

Default Monk weapon choice, mid- to high-levels

So I'm a 33 monk using a good old Wu's Quivering Staff. I think it's about time for an upgrade, and am considering both the equally good-old Jade Mace/Knuckle Duster combo and Peacebringer. Now, the conventional received wisdom seems to be that our 2hb options are always better than our 1hbs from 20-epic. I'm just curious, does anyone have or know of hard statistical data to substantiate this? I've had a hard time finding #s on our dual wield rates by level, which the dual wield rate is probably the most important variable in this whole equation.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by gcobb; 03-19-2013 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 03-19-2013, 02:23 PM
Sarnak

PB/IFS should do about 10-33% better than any 1 HB combo and a tranquil staff will do about 3-6% more damage than a PB or IFS. This is based off of using the DPS per weapon calculations and just adding max possible dps for mainhand/offhand and comparing it to max possible DPS for 2HB. One day I will figure out how to host one of my spreadsheets for all to see. This is all based on having MAX dmg bonus.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Kobold

Ok, thanks. I've seen some of your other posts and am convinced you have a way better idea of what you're talking about than I do. One thing, though, and this is mostly out of curiosity--do you/we have explicit info on those dual wield rates? And/or how exactly is this DPS-per-weapon formula derived?
Old 03-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Kobold

the p1999 wiki describes dps calculations and dual wield rates pretty well... however the prior poster didnt mention anything about damage variance... obvioulsy max damage only considered a 2hb is going to be superior but the variance is much larger and your damage will be more consistent with a good 1hb combo.

having said that peacebringer will do more dmg than jade mace / KD... jade mace is actually one of our best primary dps weapons but KD isnt the best offhand.

edit: also you have to consider weight as a monk and jm/kd only weighs about 3 stones whereas pb weighs 10 so if you are taking hits whatsoever you will want to think about weight. unless of course the rest of your gear only weighs 5 stones or less.
Last edited by tommydgun; 03-19-2013 at 03:43 PM..
Old 03-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Fire Giant

I'm no expert, but from what I've gathered, the general rules are:

Pro 2h:
1. Fewer attacks mean fewer riposte's at you
2. Higher damage riposte
3. Damage bonus on 2h with slower than 40 delay is bigger than standard weapon bonus
4. Single double-attack check doubles all potential damage output, instead of only half of it

Pro Dual Wield:
1. More even damage due to a lower spread
2. Typically lighter weight weapons
3. Can obtain two weapons with a combined ratio higher than 1:1

But really, the uber damage bonus for 2h weapons is so insane, and coupled with the fact that the offhand doesn't get the bonus + you won't hit/double attack with it 100% of the time means 2h weapons win in a landslide.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:06 PM
Sarnak

Im twinked to hell but runed fighters staff (2hb) with some haste items and fungi works very well... When using any weapons haste is key... Theres a limit though so look that up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
Dont forget im damaged goods now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
Nobody is perfect, including the staff.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:32 PM
Kobold

What would you recommend for the offhand, tommy?
Old 03-19-2013, 06:09 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcobb [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What would you recommend for the offhand, tommy?
i think if you have limited resources wu/kd is completely acceptable but if you have enough plat for a peacebringer i would go jm/adamantite club probably...

like i said it also depends on your role and whether you are taking hits / grouping / soloing etc. if you arent taking hits you really cant beat peacebringer unless u have AC/SoS or epic/SoS.

also if you do get AC and have a jade mace the proper equip slot is JM primary / AC secondary not the other way around
Closed Thread