Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-03-2015, 12:28 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr4990 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't even have an SSD yet [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I managed to get ramdisk up and running. It's definitely faster than my HDD but not like 10x faster like I was told it would be lol. It's maybe like 15-20% faster to zone? Without timing it just a rough estimate. Kind of a disappointment I expected a lot more. Not sure its worth it cause I'm paranoid about losing power or whatever and losing data.
Yeah not surprising. Most of the zoning process is due to waiting for the server.

SSD drives have a read speed of 500+ MB per second, and EQ itself is barely over 1000 MB. So yeah... the only way an SSD (or RamDrive) really helps is by providing much faster seek times.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone else try it after seeing this thread? Kind of tempted but I'm bad at replacing comptuer hardware if the pixel shit hits the fan.
If you can make gifs you can change computer hardware.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For real. If you are paranoid like me get a bag of nitrile gloves and use something to ground yourself before you touch each component.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 09-03-2015, 09:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What looks easy to some people isn't easy for others. PC building and messing with components was never my thing.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulghor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, I use the AMD Ramdisk by AMD and Dataram.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/memory/ramdisk

I can't believe I played this game without it. I zone so fast sometimes it is shocking. Load times are nearly non-existent, other than the initial startup one, which goes by pretty fast.

You can trim down your EQ installation for Project 1999 to 2 Gigs or less (think there is a guide around here somewhere, might have to search "EQ Lite" or something), so the free version, which is only 4 gigs of space, will easily fit.

I highly recommend it.

I want to personally thank you. Ever since starting P99 I've had horrible chop problems, especially when using my mouse. I made a Bard and when kiting I would chop and do a 45 or 90 degree angle instant turn and die half the time. So I stopped playing my bard. I tried putting P99 on 2 different SSDs and still had the issue.

Ever since installing AMD's RAMDisk I do not have that issue anymore.

Thank you,
Old 09-03-2015, 09:47 AM
Planar Protector

OK fine I'm trying it, if I never post again there was probably a fatal explosion.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
OK fine I'm trying it, if I never post again there was probably a fatal explosion.
Yo, the difference for me is night and day. And, honestly I don't understand.

AMD 8350 FX
8GB DDR3
2 SSDs (240GB and 480GB)
1 HDD for backup
GTX660 MSI TF

I tried both SSDs which have mid range stats when running AS-SSD. I run around with out lag at all, and ....I am still in awe.

EDIT:

I used the free version and used the max amount of ram which is 4096MB. I did trim my EQ folder down by removing all the zone info that is from Luclin and PoP. Well not all but I went from about 4GB EQ folder to 2.8GB.

Also I am running Win7 x64
Last edited by dafier; 09-03-2015 at 10:01 AM..
Old 09-03-2015, 10:17 AM
Planar Protector

It was a bad idea...I don't know what other people are running but if you've got 8GB of RAM and create a 4GB ramdisk, your PC ages about 3 years and can't cope with doing much else lol.

Had the whole "not responding" thing going on a lot of stuff. Black screen, everything seemed to want to shut down.

I'll stick with my ghetto zone loading times.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:27 AM
Planar Protector

Unfortunately for me, I have a really nice Heatsink and Fan, but the way my MB is laid out I have to remove 2 of my 4 sticks, or else I would have 16GB.

As for age...I built this PC about 4 or 5 years ago, but updated the CPU and the video card since.

It will play all my games on the highest video settings without issues. Witcher 3 and more.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:53 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Thulghor Send a message via MSN to Thulghor Send a message via Yahoo to Thulghor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafier [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I want to personally thank you. Ever since starting P99 I've had horrible chop problems, especially when using my mouse. I made a Bard and when kiting I would chop and do a 45 or 90 degree angle instant turn and die half the time. So I stopped playing my bard. I tried putting P99 on 2 different SSDs and still had the issue.

Ever since installing AMD's RAMDisk I do not have that issue anymore.

Thank you,
You're welcome. Glad to help. :-)