Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 05-01-2024, 10:40 PM
Planar Protector

Default There are harsher consequences for bad elf posters than shopliftings irl

Is this Brad's Vision?

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-01-2024, 10:47 PM
Planar Protector

in the few bastions of common sense IRL, things are turning around

DeSantis just passed some pretty solid retail theft/squatting legislation, Florida sheriff's are recommending that citizens shoot home invaders

Oregon has re-criminalized the hard drugs

it won't be long until other states follow suit, money always speaks louder than politics

im kind of glad that these experiments did happen, because now we have real data about soft-on-crime policies, even if it just confirms what we already knew.

there used to be hordes of people saying that strict drug laws create drug addicts, "somehow"

now we have rock solid data to point at when we tell those morons to STFU in the future.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:05 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
in the few bastions of common sense IRL, things are
there used to be hordes of people saying that strict drug laws create drug addicts, "somehow"

now we have rock solid data to point at when we tell those morons to STFU in the future.
Portugal etc.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrateTurk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Portugal etc.
Most of the claims being made for the ‘success of Portugal’s decriminalisation of all types of drug use are false claims.

Quote:

Decriminalisation has increased drug use for all age-groups

Decriminalisation has seen sharp increases amongst high-school students

Portugal’s drug use, other than for heroin, was initially lower than European
averages

It is not clear what caused major decreases in opiate use before decriminalisation,
but opiate use was in fact declining before decriminalisation

While drug deaths in Portugal are much lower in Portugal due to heroin being
smoked or snorted rather than injected, drug overdose mortality is currently
increasing

HIV decreases are mostly not due to decriminalisation

Other countries have proven interventions which have markedly reduced drug use,
with coerced or mandatory rehab acceptable to their populations

Australia’s Tough on Drugs shows a far superior success to Portugal
A newly released national survey suggests the percent of adults who have used illicit drugs increased to 12.8 percent in 2022, up from 7.8 in 2001, though still below European averages.
Old 05-03-2024, 01:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrateTurk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rat park, etc.
This 38-year old study is still spreading bad ideas about addiction
Old 05-01-2024, 10:48 PM
Planar Protector

Please note that I am not saying the penalties are stiffer.

I am saying we get fewer mulligans.

They generally get between 40 and 105. We get 1 or 2.
Old Yesterday, 01:57 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulgasari [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Please note that I am not saying the penalties are stiffer.

I am saying we get fewer mulligans.

They generally get between 40 and 105. We get 1 or 2.
It's also extremely political. It reminds me of the famous Jack Dorsey, Vijaya Gadde & Tim Pool debate on Joe Rogan's podcast. People will label me as a bigot but the reality is, I don't think a Muslim should have to conform to woke ideology, and conversely, I don't think a woke person should have to conform to Muslim ideology. I would be as equally offended if my trans friend got banned from this game because their world view offended someone's religion as I would be if my Muslim friend got banned from this game because their religion forbids them from going against their faith to appease said woke people.

Also a lot of this stuff isn't really even enforceable either. Some of the best drama we've ever had on EverQuest, and even on P99, are instances where someone lied about their gender IRL.

https://www.reddit.com/r/project1999..._dying_and_it/

This is just one example. I remember the Asian dude who lied about being a hot chick when P99 first launched to scam dudes out of items and free PL services.

Like is P99 going to start requiring a form of ID so we can verify gender identities? Perhaps they should require you to state your gender identity when you create your account that way your character name can appear a certain color.

But I also wonder how this simulator was able to survive for 10 years without these policies? I wonder even more so, how EQ TLPs, which people pay to play on, consist of some of the most heated political debates that take place all hours of the day, and yet people don't get banned?

It blows my mind that it's easier to get banned from P99 than it is WoW in 2024. If the rules had always been this over-the-top and care bear, it would be different, but bait and switching after people spent years of their life building characters is whack. The only people who disagree are the people whose ideals are aligned with the current clearly partisan rule sets.

It comes off more as a desire to control people than it does a push for actual social justice. And quite frankly, it's weird to see these changes happening now, rather than 5 years ago, given the current atmosphere and the fact that censorship of conservatives is becoming increasingly unpopular and less common.
Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's also extremely political. It reminds me of the famous Jack Dorsey, Vijaya Gadde & Tim Pool debate on Joe Rogan's podcast. People will label me as a bigot but the reality is, I don't think a Muslim should have to conform to woke ideology, and conversely, I don't think a woke person should have to conform to Muslim ideology. I would be as equally offended if my trans friend got banned from this game because their world view offended someone's religion as I would be if my Muslim friend got banned from this game because their religion forbids them from going against their faith to appease said woke people.

Also a lot of this stuff isn't really even enforceable either. Some of the best drama we've ever had on EverQuest, and even on P99, are instances where someone lied about their gender IRL.

https://www.reddit.com/r/project1999..._dying_and_it/

This is just one example. I remember the Asian dude who lied about being a hot chick when P99 first launched to scam dudes out of items and free PL services.

Like is P99 going to start requiring a form of ID so we can verify gender identities? Perhaps they should require you to state your gender identity when you create your account that way your character name can appear a certain color.

But I also wonder how this simulator was able to survive for 10 years without these policies? I wonder even more so, how EQ TLPs, which people pay to play on, consist of some of the most heated political debates that take place all hours of the day, and yet people don't get banned?

It blows my mind that it's easier to get banned from P99 than it is WoW in 2024. If the rules had always been this over-the-top and care bear, it would be different, but bait and switching after people spent years of their life building characters is whack. The only people who disagree are the people whose ideals are aligned with the current clearly partisan rule sets.

It comes off more as a desire to control people than it does a push for actual social justice. And quite frankly, it's weird to see these changes happening now, rather than 5 years ago, given the current atmosphere and the fact that censorship of conservatives is becoming increasingly unpopular and less common.
The "I'm new I swear" guy goes on a rant bashing the staff, including referencing how things were on the server years ago. What a surprise.

Based on the tenor of this comment I bet he totally wasn't banned for being racist and/or spewing insults/ignorant shit at people
Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The "I'm new I swear" guy goes on a rant bashing the staff, including referencing how things were on the server years ago. What a surprise.

Based on the tenor of this comment I bet he totally wasn't banned for being racist and/or spewing insults/ignorant shit at people
there are only two people i could think this account belongs to lol