Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Should there be a permanent IP ban option?
I agree. 93 78.15%
I don't agree (tell us why below). 26 21.85%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't ban, just strip and delevel all characters of all plat/items.

Also dynamic IPs are easy enough to spot.

RNG example: 82.55.68.1 and 82.55.68.12 ... holy shit, I just found 2 devices on the same IP.
There's no guarantee those are the same person, machine, or location.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by myriverse [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But if you're spotting 2 of those connecting to P99, you can begin to solve a 9-piece jigsaw [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by myriverse [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
actually they are both located in Olgiate Olona, Lombardia, Italy

ip addresses are geographic
Old 03-21-2013, 11:25 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
RNG example: 82.55.68.1 and 82.55.68.12 ... holy shit, I just found 2 devices on the same IP.
That would be pretty damning, if/when people get IPs like that. I run a php test server from my house that's always connected, so I check the IP pretty regularly to make sure my DNS is updating correctly. In ~2 years I've never received two IPs that were so close. I almost always get completely new values in all the ranges.

Not saying some ISPs don't have a very small range, or specifically give close IPs to people when they update their IPs. But if you're with an AT&T or a Time Warner in the states, they have a huge trunk of IPs to give out in each region, and they don't always care which you get.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:33 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaflyIRL [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
actually they are both located in Olgiate Olona, Lombardia, Italy

ip addresses are geographic
It's the location block your ISP bought.

According to "location aware adds" I live in Cedar Rapids. I don't live in Cedar Rapids.

But that's pedantic. IP address are not the answer anyhow.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Banned

PKI. You have to register on the forums to generate your key and the key must be installed in order to access P99. It would be a bitch to implement if it's even possible but it would cut down on peoples ability to use the same computer to login from multiple locations (proxies, vpns, etc) and it would allow you to associate accounts to specific systems.

Again though, this wouldn't be a silver bullet. Any solution has to be both carrot and stick.

Think about the drug war, simply outlawing something only drives consumers to purchase illegally at a higher price. Increasing enforcement simply drives up cost of policing and cost of product while the supply is decreased. This only makes more money for the plat sellers (or drug dealers, prostitution, etc, etc) because their margin increases by leaps and bounds.

There has to be a blend of incentives, disincentives, clearly defined and open processes for enforcement for any kind of rule to be effective, let alone RMT.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:45 PM
Banned

Characters with real life money value (having been previously sold/bought) are being traded and running around in Norrath.(Szeth)

This is clearly a breach of the RMT code.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szeth1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Characters with real life money value (having been previously sold/bought) are being traded and running around in Norrath.(Szeth)

This is clearly a breach of the RMT code.
Well since your the one that sold it, shouldnt you and any chars you've made since then get a ban? Sounds fair to me.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Banned

That also sounds fair to me. Ban my IP from the server as well! However that does not change the fact that Szeth as a character holds RMT value and should be banned for previous indiscretions.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:51 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szeth1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That also sounds fair to me. Ban my IP from the server as well! However that does not change the fact that Szeth as a character holds RMT value and should be banned for previous indiscretions.
Sounds like someone regrets selling their character.
Closed Thread