Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 12:43 AM
Aviak

Default Wizard must have items for leveling?

Wanting to start a wizard, had one on live, and there seems to be a worse stigma against them then a hybrid.

Are there any must have items to ease the mostly solo grind? aside from jboots of course.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:06 AM
Kobold

Lots of variations depending on plat available and what not, but bare minimum I would recommend +mana items, Jboots, and Staff of Temperate Flux.

There's other stuff that will definitely help (Solist's Icy Wand, Staff of the Wheel, etc), but if yer lookin to solo (esp quads past 29), you need Jboots and Flux Staff.

<The Mystical Order>

Alts:
[34 Wizard] Motlee Crue (Human) <The Mystical Order>
[4 Wizard] Aysee Deecee (Human) <The Mystical Order>
[2 Wizard] Vhan Halen (Human) <The Mystical Order>

Live - Tallon Zek 2000-2005 / Drinal 2007-2008
[80 Sorcerer] Acillatem Zoso (Human) <Knights of the White Rose> / <Veritable Quandary>
Old 03-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acillatem [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lots of variations depending on plat available and what not, but bare minimum I would recommend +mana items, Jboots, and Staff of Temperate Flux.

There's other stuff that will definitely help (Solist's Icy Wand, Staff of the Wheel, etc), but if yer lookin to solo (esp quads past 29), you need Jboots and Flux Staff.
To be fair you can still quad easily enough without Flux Staff but it's definitely a handy item. Just saying that if the quest is too tough for you at a given level, it's OK to wait a bit. JBoots are absolutely invaluable though. If you don't have the money for an MQ or the levels to camp it you can buy SoW potions in the meantime. Also, JBoots or not, you will be unable to quad without a good mana pool, so look for +mana and +INT items.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also, JBoots or not, you will be unable to quad without a good mana pool, so look for +mana and +INT items.
I've heard this from a lot of people, but I quadded just fine with nothing but my staff of the wheel, stein of moggok, and a few other small +int items well into my 50s. If it takes all of your mana to quad something, you're probably not doing it very efficiently or hunting in the wrong place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essedge [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wanting to start a wizard, had one on live, and there seems to be a worse stigma against them then a hybrid.

Are there any must have items to ease the mostly solo grind? aside from jboots of course.
In your very early levels, a good 2hb like treant staff or lost staff of the scorned or something similar is good to battle-cast, but after 12-16 or so that's simply not viable - you get eaten alive too fast.

On a similar note, I found hp gear far more valuable up to about 24-26 (since quadding starts in earnest then and if you get hit while quadding you're likely doing it wrong).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Fire Giant

A Solist's Icy Wand is an essential item - you will find situations you need it even into your 40s and beyond.

The Staff of Temperate flux is also essential. Mana free insta-tag is a very powerful skill and you should be Fluxing every single mob you cast Ice or Fire on, even at lvl 60 (needs its own inventory slot and hotkey)

You won't be able to take down the Ancient Cyclops solo for a while, so unless you pay for the Jboots MQ you will have to buy sow potions until you can take down the AC (unless you have friends). Nice thing is when you get South Ro evac you can easily go check on the spawn to see if its camped.

Though mana is very important for quadding, don't forget about your HP (important when you get plowed by four mobs at the same time)
Last edited by Tuljin; 03-12-2013 at 05:30 PM..
Old 03-12-2013, 05:50 PM
Sarnak

Anyone want to elaborate on some good Quad spots? Maybe even the general philosophy/spells to use as a wiz quadding? I main'd a Pally and a Rogue on Blue, now playing a wizard, thats poor on Red.

Carsomyr - 55 Pally - Retired
Thalon - 49 Rogue - Temporarily Benched
Contagious - Necro - 30's and climbing
Lights - 55 Wiz - Occasional Murderer
Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cars [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone want to elaborate on some good Quad spots? Maybe even the general philosophy/spells to use as a wiz quadding? I main'd a Pally and a Rogue on Blue, now playing a wizard, thats poor on Red.
Mammoths in Everfrost are a great place to start at level 29 when you get Bonds of Force (your AE snare). After that you can go to Firiona Vie (specifically, the cliffs you get to if you leave the city of Firiona Vie and turn right). Then tundra yetis in Dreadlands, then spectres, then spirocs in Timorous Deep. There are other options but this is what I did.

General strategy is you gather up four mobs with the staff of temperate flux or some level 1 spell, circle until they're bunched up, cast Bonds of Force, then use targeted AE spells (pillar of whatever) until they are dead.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:33 AM
Planar Protector

Nice tips Estu. Thanks for the info.
Closed Thread