Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Kobold

The last time I parsed this was awhile ago but it was after the last change on 2H damage bonuses: http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...t=damage+bonus

At level 60, raw melee damage was TStaff > RFS/PB > IFS. The math says RFS should slightly edge out PB (49 vs 48.67 modal DPS) but it never showed up in my parses to a significant degree. Real world DPS was something close like 83DPS > 80DPS > 75 DPS. With the procs added in on TStaff it was markedly better than the others. I don't have the logfiles handy anymore unfortunately so I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.

RFS is a better weapon to level with 1-30 due to getting less damage truncated by the weapon damage caps. After 30, when you still have little to no damage bonus (you get your first damage bonus point at either 28 or 33 - I forget which) the order will be TStaff > RFS/IFS > PB strictly due to weapon ratio. Once damage bonuses start accumulating, the order at 60 will gradually become correct. IFS is the worst of the bunch in the end but it's not like it's a terrible weapon, and it also has the added bonus of not being super heavy when your weight cap is lower at early levels.

Anecdotally, I leveled with a Peacebringer and got a Tstaff post-50 once I could afford it. This was largely due to IFSs being almost 10k more expensive at the time though. If I were a cash-strapped monk looking for a 2H weapon right now I'd get an IFS or PB, whichever was cheaper. If I were a bit more flush I'd just get a Tstaff. RFS has a price premium because it no longer drops and it's better for twinking and should probably be ignored unless you're rolling a new monk and can afford it AND a Tstaff (or don't mind the EC time it would take to flip the RFS once you're out of weapon cap levels).
Old 07-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Fire Giant

Just wanted to add in my 2 cents.

I'm not going to speak about dps parses or anything just my personal experience leveling an alt and having used an IFS and PB.

I originally was looking for IFS/PB for a few days whatever I could get a deal on.

I originally bought an IFS and found I would get myself into difficult situations with the longer delay. At level 20 a max hit (or max double attack) from PB or IFS is going to take a HUGE chunk of the mob's life. Since I was pulling relatively often trying to use bandage/mend I was usually pulling at 50% or 75% hp, I never would pull at 100% hp. So I could kill a blue and take very minimal damage, or get a few unlucky misses and end up taking a lot more damage than I expected. Taking that extra damage and having the mob not flee (if FD fails) could lead to trouble.

After a few deaths - I know I may be bad or impatient but I was disappointed. I ended up finding someone and threw in a few plat to trade IFS for PB. I found that the same issues could arise (especially when pulling white, high blue mobs) but it happened to a lesser extent and my fights were more consistent.

Note - Jade mace is much better until level 20 and you can get two cheaper (I tried keeping 1hand/2hand maxed in the mean time but there is a big differance). Also I didn't consider weight too much because I have some decent twink gear (tink bags and such).

TLDR: I prefer PB while leveling my monk alt.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Sarnak

Terrible necro.

Also rfs > everything the end.
Closed Thread