Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements > Polls

View Poll Results: Do you believe ooc and auction should be returned to zone-only?
YES! I want ooc/auction to be per zone only. 383 52.39%
NO! I want ooc/auction to remain global wide. 348 47.61%
Voters: 731. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomapple [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As far as I'm concerned, spam has very little to do with my desire for the removal of global channels. Global channels shrinks the world and makes it altogether less interesting to run into other people while you are out and about. New players you meet become more interesting when they aren't just some voice you can hear whenever. Being in less traveled zones becomes more exciting when you are on your own without a crowd of people talking at you. Going to a big city has a more unique feel when it is a rare occasion to interact with many people. I dunno...global chat just makes eq less of the game I am so excited to be playing again.

As for people's concerns about new players, there are still people around and I actually think someone is more likely to help a newbie out if there aren't 500 people right there that you can pass the job onto. Directing players to the forums is also always an option.

As for the low server population, I only see this as making it all the more interesting when you DO run into people because it is just not that common.

Perhaps I'm a little overzealous about this, but seeing global chat go away is a very exciting prospect for me.
THIS THIS THIS
Old 05-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not telling classic eq players to turn off their ooc. Are you?
There is still zone wide /shout. Again, would you like to respond to my previous post or cherry pick the ones you can respond to easily?
Old 05-18-2010, 02:44 PM
Skeleton

There is so much spam in OOC / Auction, even in the off hours, that I completely ignore it. If it was restricted to just the current zone I would have time to read it, sometimes use it, but I would not be regarding it as "information overload".

There are other chat options available on Live to fill the serverwide communication void: Channels. I always opted out of these for the same reasons I now ignore OOC / Auction. When I did want to participate in a serverwide auction I would join the appropriate channel. Most times, my channel list was very limited.

This is not a pure "Classic" experience in the sense that every mistake or hardship is repeated. Remember having to actually look at a spell book until level 35? The book did not enhance gameplay. It just made it easy for a puma to sneak up on a wizard 59 minutes out of any given hour. For this reason, I beg you, please put the tradeskill recipes back. Make us learn them before the can be used, but don't make it an insane clickfest. My fingers hurt.

Aw crap. Now my back is going to hurt because I just pulled landscaping duty.
Kobold

With global OOC gone, the LFG tool will be more commonly used. I'm all for that.
Orc

Voted zone only, but it's not something that's important to me as it is.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by President [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is still zone wide /shout. Again, would you like to respond to my previous post or cherry pick the ones you can respond to easily?
Except for the fact that many players from live completely ignored shout because it was a flaming red, obnoxious color.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:46 PM
Sarnak

Don't forget that turning off global channels WILL result in the server population congregating around the same few zones even more than people already.

There's already way too many zones that get almost no usage at all, and doing this will make it worse.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:46 PM
Orc

Global OOC has too much spam. EC Tunnel Trading FTW

Voted Yes.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Sarnak

I'd like to vote for yes again also so ooc can be used as a functional channel during raids like it used to be.

Donate a water filter in Haiti. Click Here
Old 05-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Fire Giant

Voted Yes. Its a classic server.

/OOC is useless as it is currently implemented.

/AUCTION would be far more useful per-zone. Right now -> "Oooh, that's a good deal. You're where??? nm."