Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Banned

Default P1999 Drama MUST STOP

I find it sad / pathetic so many intelligent human beings hours are wasted and consumed by meaningless skirmishes over pixels.

A game is supposed to be something to have fun, test your skills, pass the time.

People who play this game to the extent they post about game drama, or people who exploit the game to have an advantage in game, ask yourself.

What am i doing? Why am i doing this. Why do i feel the need to be the man in a digital universe.

Rmt'ers - coulden't you make more money at a job, or a second job?
Exploiters - how is the game fun when your cheating, how do you feel like you've won or got the upper hand when it was gained by cheating?
Drama People - Seriously, this game isn't that important to be worked up about

We live in very strange times,

Young Trayvon murdered in cold blood on streets shows racism alive and well.
A long , just, and bitter, war looms on the horizon with our ancient foe the Iranians.
Political corruption and economic idolatry is threatening to undermine one of the Greatest, and last Freedom loving Republics on the Earth.

I ask you, Is the drama on here really worth it?
Do we not have greater things to worry about?

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by IronLikeALionInZion; 03-27-2012 at 06:26 PM..
Old 03-27-2012, 06:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronLikeALionInZion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why do i feel the need to be the man in a digital universe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEoWaP4skv8
Last edited by Slave; 03-27-2012 at 07:47 PM..
Old 03-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to kingsBlend

Old 03-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Aviak

Young Trayvon hahaha. Fail troll is fail. Stupidity is alive and well it seems.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelador [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Young Trayvon
Bring back forum tagging [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bring back forum tagging [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronLikeALionInZion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A long , just, and bitter, war looms on the horizon with our ancient foe the Iranians.
Political corruption and economic idolatry is threatening to undermine one of the Greatest, and last Freedom loving Republics on the Earth.
Not sure if serious.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:13 AM
Aviak

Quote:
I find it sad / pathetic so many intelligent human beings hours are wasted and consumed by meaningless skirmishes over pixels.

A game is supposed to be something to have fun, test your skills, pass the time.

People who play this game to the extent they post about game drama, or people who exploit the game to have an advantage in game, ask yourself.

What am i doing? Why am i doing this. Why do i feel the need to be the man in a digital universe.

Rmt'ers - coulden't you make more money at a job, or a second job?
Exploiters - how is the game fun when your cheating, how do you feel like you've won or got the upper hand when it was gained by cheating?
Drama People - Seriously, this game isn't that important to be worked up about

We live in very strange times,

Young Trayvon murdered in cold blood on streets shows racism alive and well.

I ask you, Is the drama on here really worth it?
Do we not have greater things to worry about?

As a fan of The Big Bang Theory, I found the episode where Penny got addicted to Age of Conan to be especially insightful. Particularly this line:

Leonard: Well, i-i-i-it’s just if a person doesn’t have a sense of achievement in their real life it’s easy to lose themselves in a virtual world where they get a false sense of accomplishment.

It's not hard to see the sad state of surrogate accomplishment for P1999 players -- look no further than the wiki to find that people on this server tout "server firsts" for nearly everything as if it were an accomplishment. Since experience in this game is acquired by mindlessly pushing the same buttons over and over then levels are essentially the sum of committing a lot of time and surviving long hours of boredom (often by creating drama). Epics have a step by step guide with strategies attached - how is acquiring one an accomplishment? It doesn't require thought - just time, luck, and following instructions. In many cases it also involves sucking up to a guild leader and doing the bitch work for them like tracking mobs (again, only a time investment, no skill involved in hitting the track button). Then the people willing to wake up at 5am before work (if they even work) in order to kill a raid boss is damn near the pinnacle of patheticism. In truth, however, the sadness peaks when you see members of high-end guilds sit AFK in EC thinking everybody will see his 1337 gear and think he is awesome. It's really sad...

The drama and problems on this server is because most of the server is full of these hardcores who, after returning to a 13 year old emulated MMORPG, have no other means of obtaining a sense of accomplishment but "winning" at pixels here. On P1999, winning is generally defined as having better gear than everybody else. Since supply of gear is low without instances and content is trivial with 100's of guides of how to win, success is obtained here by playing long hours and participating in guild politics as alluded above. In other words, drama IS PART of the competition aspect of the game. Whether it be creating entertainment for social acceptance, driving other players to breaking the arbitrary server-imposed rules, cultivating amicable relationships with GMs as to leverage the lack of formal rulings on rule violations, or inciting conflict between players as to avoid them creating an alliance -- this game and ruleset is designed such that players succeed by socially and emotionally manipulating others. This is the real challenge on P1999.

In short, P1999 is designed for drama and sad lowlifes. Better to just accept it and move on and let them revel in their depravity.
Last edited by username1337; 03-28-2012 at 04:40 AM..
Old 03-28-2012, 04:00 AM
Aviak

I actually enjoy drama at this stage of my mmo experience. It's like watching a train wreck, or a marathon of Cheaters. Yes I am the lowest form of human scum to find this stuff entertaining, but what can I say? Drama is junk food for my brain.

In closing... p1999 doesn't have nearly enough drama. I want to see some transsexuals exposed in guild chat, mid cyber, while getting a skype call from the guild leader because he did too much coke during the raid and has to bow out to go to the hospital. Also.. cat on fire
Old 03-28-2012, 05:56 AM
Sarnak

Quote:

Ancient foe? Just War? Brainwashed inbread fool! Stop watching the media, will ya!?
Closed Thread