Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Planar Protector

I know people do watch out for boxers pretty heavily on the server.

A friend helped power level one of my alts to 16 (which doesn't take all that long) and i got a ton of tells to check and make sure i wasn't boxing lol

It doesn't bother me to have people check to make sure i'm playing legit

but at the same time somebody probably shouldn't even give the appearance of boxing. If you need to AFK a long time with an IP exemption.. might as well just log off.. the 30 second hassle of logging on and getting an invite back to group is better than being temporarily suspended.

I don't see anything wrong with broadcasting they are hunting for boxers. It lets people know that the rules are being enforced. Like when police departments publish crime statistics.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:43 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifesbane [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This...

Just happened to my wife and I last night. She was helping me lvl in OOT to in turn allow me to help PL her (I'm a nec, shes a cleric). One second everything is going fine, next moment we both have black screens saying we are banned. We were just discussing too moments prior when Amelinda announced she was searching for 2 boxers that what we are doing will probably look like boxing so we were waiting for any tell or message if we were ever accused, but none such message came and the wrath of Amelinda is swifter than words can be typed (My ulnar nerve was severed recently so I'm not typing quick at all anyway.. but it is fast!) so I was not able to appeal any such decision. I hope such situations can be resolved, I really did enjoy my time that I invested into the character and was enjoying watching my wife and I level up together. Please at least send a message or observe closely before coming to conclusions. I know having the benefit of the doubt will let some bad apples through, but being overly zealous in your efforts will end up hurting more than helping [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

My brother and I were banned by Uthguaard under similar circumstances more than a year ago. When we tried to petition, Uthguaard provided no evidence and more or less dismissed our case and ignored us. We both decided to quit after discovering that GMs can make such arbitrary decisions with no accountability or evidence.

I came back after a number of months later but my brother decided there was just too much risk of losing your time investment with such reckless GMs.

From that experience I've discovered that the community here, on the whole, is not sympathetic to anybody who possess IP exemptions regardless of how much evidence they supply to the contrary - nobody cares. Further, I've discovered that GMs regularly check on people with IP exemptions for any suspicious behavior (without informing them upon granting the request) so any anecdotal evidence (such as one of you happening to be AFK) is grounds for a permanent ban. Even further, people with IP exemptions are expected not to perform behavior that, in any other circumstances, would be permissible. One such behavior is going AFK for extended periods (like upwards 5 minutes). In any normal circumstance, AFK-ing for 5 minutes while continuing to pull is commonplace, but for people with IP exemptions the expectation is to minimize this behavior as much as possible - else face ban.

When you combine an MMORPG which AFKing is commonplace given hours of gameplay, GMs with the power to ban without anything but self-proclaimed conclusive evidence, and a community who, on the whole, is suspicious of anybody and everybody, then you have a recipe for a disaster when it comes to catching true culprits of crimes.

Meanwhile, the real boxers are behind proxies. How do GMs catch these people?

I think what the real problem is that there is no thread informing people on what constitutes "suspicious" behavior and, without enumerating all cases, state examples of behavior that will be looked into. Only guilty people consider these cases to try and mask their behavior - meanwhile innocent people are just playing as they normally would, not thinking they need to purposely and meaningfully alter their behavior to "appear" they aren't boxing.

Just my 2cents.
Last edited by username1337; 03-18-2012 at 08:48 PM..
Old 03-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Planar Protector

Log off if you're going to AFK a long time.. simple enough... don't give them any reason at all to suspect you of boxing.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flunklesnarkin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Log off if you're going to AFK a long time.. simple enough... don't give them any reason at all to suspect you of boxing.
While I'll admit it's simple enough - it's also annoying enough if you play this game casually and take 5-10min afks every hour or so. Aside from that factor, how are people supposed to know this is expected of them? There is no "IMPORTANT PLEASE READ REGARDING YOUR BEHAVIOR WITH IP EXEMPTION" document - the only way people can find out what not to do is to delve into these forums and purposely search for this information - most people wouldn't even think to do that.

I'll acknowledge that if that is what is required to prevent any suspicion so be it but it needs to be in a stickied thread to inform people what they should/should not do as only the guilty people really think long and hard about how not to get caught. This stickied thread should also be sent in the petition message upon granting the IP Exemption request and users should be told to pay attention to their behavior while playing together.

How hard would that be for devs/GMs to draft up?
Last edited by username1337; 03-18-2012 at 09:01 PM..
Old 03-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikonoclastia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have no fear becuz I dont cheat.
And the winner is lol sums this all up in one quick line! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojoz_Mon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And the winner is lol sums this all up in one quick line! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Only the naive think that innocence assures a lack of punishment.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by username1337 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is no "IMPORTANT PLEASE READ REGARDING YOUR BEHAVIOR WITH IP EXEMPTION" document - the only way people can find out what not to do is to delve into these forums and purposely search for this information - most people wouldn't even think to do that.
Surely to apply for an IP exemption that requires delving into the forums in any case? It's all here, people know not to box. If that wasn't enough I'm sure Amelinda's serverwide announcements are the icing on the cake.

A guide on "How to flout the system by avoiding this kind of behaviour" would be akin to teaching prisoners to be better criminals... I don't think anything needs to be written. How many ways do people need to be told that its not allowed? 100?
Old 03-18-2012, 10:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How many ways do people need to be told that its not allowed? 100?
You're missing the point.

He isn't saying that people think it's ok to box.

He's saying that there are people who ARE NOT BOXING who are getting banned because their normal playstyle, as friends/spouses who have an IP exemption, ends up looking "suspicious" to other players and GMs. And he's saying that these innocent players have basically no way to avoid these bans because the bans are swift and unilateral and based on only limited and circumstantial evidence that boxing MAY have been taking place and because there is nothing on the forum warning these players that they may very well be subject to one of these swift, unilateral, minimally supported, and somewhat unappealable bans, even though they aren't actually doing anything wrong, just because some people think it LOOKS like they're doing something wrong.

Zomg.
Last edited by fischsemmel; 03-18-2012 at 10:24 PM..
Old 03-18-2012, 10:27 PM
Fire Giant

And lord knows there is probably no sort of compensation to wrongly-banned people, assuming they get the ban reversed and still even have the desire to play on the server.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischsemmel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And lord knows there is probably no sort of compensation to wrongly-banned people, assuming they get the ban reversed and still even have the desire to play on the server.

I do agree it sucks if you are wrongfully banned... but why in the world would they deserve compensation?
Closed Thread