Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That is partially true and only applies to warriors.

Paladin / SK agro doesn't depend on melee damage anyway. If a Knight class wants agro, they will have agro unless you start blowing malet charges on a mob (or actively try to contest agro as an enchanter/shaman anyway).

Spell agro will guarantee a mob will stay on the knight class for the biggest part. Melee dmg / weapon-spell procs just make it a little bit easier.

And last but not least, agro management in a group isn't entirely a tanks responsibility.

Simply put nowadays, people cba and just root-tank anyway. That's why you see monks filling up tank spots in groups. Just the fact that they can fill in those shoes, it doesn't mean it's the best group-role for them.
I will agree with you on some points. But a Pally can not be a Ogre. So they get stunned. So guess what no spell cast while stunned or weapon proc. Then there is resists. In Velious a lot of mobs can not be rooted.

When Velious comes out no Ranger or Monk is going to Tank Velious mobs. We will all be hoping for a Ogre tank to stroll by then lol.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrunner5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I will agree with you on some points. But a Pally can not be a Ogre. So they get stunned. So guess what no spell cast while stunned or weapon proc. Then there is resists. In Velious a lot of mobs can not be rooted.

When Velious comes out no Ranger or Monk is going to Tank Velious mobs. We will all be hoping for a Ogre tank to stroll by then lol.

Not sure what you're trying to portrait here. Again, knight classes aren't dependant on melee damage. As a matter of fact, they can tank without turning auto-attack on.

Yea, paladins don't have frontal stun immunity. But they can generate enough agro while the mob is incomming to the group that even if they get stunned right on the bat (and we do have avoidance skills in case you forget that) they can pick up right where they left of without any issues.

Spells, even if they get resisted, generate enough threat to maintain agro. People on this server are simply not used to having a proper knight tank in their leveling groups. I can tell by the number of shamans/enchanters I've grouped with, that in the first couple of pulls they will come up to the mob I'm tanking and stay next to it while they try to slow it. Or they will root a mesed mob before I would actually move next to it, to tank it. And all of them stoped doing it after they saw that the mob would not even look at them.

People just worry about this exp penalty all too much. When actually, if you have a good knight tank in your group, the exp flow can be a lot faster when compared to a warrior tank. There are simply too many tools at our disposal to save the day.

Knight classes aren't designed to tank 100k hp hard hitting quading bosses. And it's supposed to be that way, as well. But right now, they can tank mobs like Innoruuk or Faydedar / Severilious etc etc just fine.

Frontal stun immunity was never a mandatory ability to have. It's nice, but not the end-all-be-all for end game tanking.
Proof? Furor was a human warrior iirc.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:08 PM
Planar Protector

Paladins are actually pretty good in a group as Lorraine and Deajay have pointed out. As an Enchanter I always enjoyed grouping with a paladin cause I could go for immediate tash/slow while with a warrior aggro was always more dubious. Playing a warrior has made me appreciate even more just how much warrior aggro sucks. Taunt is borderline broken (I'd say it works no more than 50% of the time even on light blues, and even then the rogue will just jump you in the hate list on his next attack anyway). So basically you need a lot of dex (impossible for my iksar without planar armor) and two proccing weapons and pray that the RNG is kind to you. But yeah every time the shaman slows the mob goes running off to him - that just isn't the case with a Paladin or SK tanking if they know what they are doing.

The problem with being a paladin is that your toolkit is just a lot worse than SKs. This ridiculous dot/hide/cos pulling (don't get me wrong, I've abused this as much as anyone) is indeed classic but it utterly trivializes things. It's just ridiculous that an SK can pull the spore king to the tube room where he can be trioed; when I was playing in the spring people actually camped AT the king's room and it was a lot harder (well anything is harder compared to afking for 25 minutes between spawns).

Also with the fierce competition at the high end pulling mobs fast away from their guards is a lot more important than if you had the time to just clear everything. I actually think that if I could take Cazic with 12 players (60/good gear obviously) even with that retarded death touch mechanism if I had the 2 hours it would take to clear the entire zone and draco and all the golems before engaging; instead its frequently a zone disconnect/wipe with 40.

Meanwhile stuns/off healing/off tanking just isn't that important on the raid scene. I'm not saying its not possible to be effective on a paladin, but its not as easy as an SK.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:09 PM
Kobold

well, to be constructive, i would suggest bumming a port to Gfay,
orc it out until you're 10-12 ish? or at least get your spells and tire of them,
whilst selling/turning in those belts, for some odd bits of leather and gold,
by the time you're done with crushbone, you should have enough PP banked to buy a somewhat decent weapon, with which to bear along side you for your journeys to Unrest.
there you will find oodles of undead baddies to slay with your uber holy skills,
and bronze armor drops here too, so yeah.. there you go.
haha and you should honestly be fine there until at least 25-30ish,
if you're feeling adventurous or just, wanna stick to antonica, you could always try Befallen, (a low level dungeon just off of WC) lots of undeads there, dunno how long you can stay though. humm, Najena would be pretty cool as well, aside from undeads,
you can just rough it out with the orcs/dervs, oasis crocs, guk, etc.

if you build it.. the gear will come.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:35 AM
Aviak

So far I'm killing dervs, and 25% into level 12. To those passing druids, I love you.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:31 AM
Planar Protector

All I can say is if Paladins are so great why are there like 4 of them on this server above level 50 on average???? Why do they drop out more than any class on here??? Because they suck just like a Ranger does on here.

I like both classes very well. But they totally just don't work out on here on average. Lorraine I still agree with you on a lot of things, not the Caster root thing. No Cleric or Enchanter is going to risk Rooting a mob above 80% or even near it. Root is one of the biggest agro generators in this game. I think it is your job as a Tank to control agro. As a Cleric I am setting on my ass to med not Root. And as a Enchanter if I get hit I die. And it sounds like you know how to play a Pally very well. But the facts are very few people wants to play them long term.
Last edited by webrunner5; 03-18-2012 at 08:52 AM..
Old 03-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Aviak

Idk....that helmet after lvl 45 is niceeeeee
Old 03-19-2012, 08:11 AM
Aviak

Alright, got SoTM, ghoulsbane, deepwater helm, boots, gloves, vambs. Still looking for bracer if anyone has, legs too, but I doubt I can afford those.
Special thanks to my friend and thanks to those that sold me the items.
Last edited by Nanolian; 03-19-2012 at 08:27 AM..
Closed Thread