Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Planar Protector

Let's remove no drop tags like FV, and then try it out imo. Otherwise it gives the raiding guilds even more of an advantage over the casuals, which they don't need at all.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
bump.

This is where item loot discussion should be happening.

from another thread:

[mostly opinions about item loot]

It was considered. I like item loot and I have posted many times about it. My vote on this topic was some type of modified item loot to see if it worked. If it didn't, it could be removed. It seems to be an entire element to the game missing for me, but that's just an opinion. The first question usually asked of me of a new person is, does the pvp server have item loot? No? Well that's boring what's the point other than zone control/im gonna play pve. I have no answer for them.

Argument #1: Item loot would decrease population. Since it hasn't been tried on r99, even in beta, I have no faith in this argument. Trying it a couple of times, within the past 10 years on different eqemulator servers doesn't count for me as empirical data.

It also makes people think twice about taking a geared-out twink to attack noobs with. A gang of noobs might take an expensive item.

The most prevalent argument against it is.. casters can fight naked. While that is true, so can melee if they have their weapons. So something like.. not allowing the looting of primary/secondary/range OR no drop items would go far in this department.

Counterargument is.. melee can't fight casters without resist gear. Well, resist gear, from what I've seen, isn't obtained early on. So, that's irrelevant to the argument.

Next argument is.. people will bag their gear before they die. One idea I thought was interesting was any droppable item that wasn't equipped, could be available for loot. This means players wouldn't choose to bag their items, because those are the items players could loot. I've also seen suggestions like, any non-magical bagged item, such as gems or random armor.

The other biggest argument I've seen was, "I don't want to camp an fbss for 10 hours to lose it in a fight". Aside from the custom item loot rulesets which may protect against this, no one is making anyone camp an fbss for 10 hours.

I'd like to think there is some type of item loot ruleset which people could agree with. More features = win.

[/mostly opinions about item loot]
can't go wrong with the item loot from bag thing you were suggesting
Old 12-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Sarnak

Nillbog for president.

I like the FV style removal of the no-drop tag! Looting from bags is good too!
Old 12-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
bump.

This is where item loot discussion should be happening.

from another thread:

[mostly opinions about item loot]

It was considered. I like item loot and I have posted many times about it. My vote on this topic was some type of modified item loot to see if it worked. If it didn't, it could be removed. It seems to be an entire element to the game missing for me, but that's just an opinion. The first question usually asked of me of a new person is, does the pvp server have item loot? No? Well that's boring what's the point other than zone control/im gonna play pve. I have no answer for them.

Argument #1: Item loot would decrease population. Since it hasn't been tried on r99, even in beta, I have no faith in this argument. Trying it a couple of times, within the past 10 years on different eqemulator servers doesn't count for me as empirical data.

It also makes people think twice about taking a geared-out twink to attack noobs with. A gang of noobs might take an expensive item.

The most prevalent argument against it is.. casters can fight naked. While that is true, so can melee if they have their weapons. So something like.. not allowing the looting of primary/secondary/range OR no drop items would go far in this department.

Counterargument is.. melee can't fight casters without resist gear. Well, resist gear, from what I've seen, isn't obtained early on. So, that's irrelevant to the argument.

Next argument is.. people will bag their gear before they die. One idea I thought was interesting was any droppable item that wasn't equipped, could be available for loot. This means players wouldn't choose to bag their items, because those are the items players could loot. I've also seen suggestions like, any non-magical bagged item, such as gems or random armor.

The other biggest argument I've seen was, "I don't want to camp an fbss for 10 hours to lose it in a fight". Aside from the custom item loot rulesets which may protect against this, no one is making anyone camp an fbss for 10 hours.

I'd like to think there is some type of item loot ruleset which people could agree with. More features = win.

[/mostly opinions about item loot]
sounds good to me
Old 12-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Aviak

Quote:
One thing to mention, bards need their instruments, if you implemented a safe-rule for primary/2ndary you'd have to take into account a bard may have switched their weapons out and other typically raid/rare instruments can be outside/bagged at time of death.

If no safe-rule is implemented to counter this, bard's rare instruments will never be used.

Of course basic instruments are cheap, and they could use them only, but that would be a side-effect nerf and still doesn't solve bard melee weapons switched out at time of death.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Banned

Item loot will kill the server. Why is this even up for discussion? Haven't you learned from previous boxes? Maybe start with yellow text and global ooc.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Banned

I don't see anything wrong with not being able to loot whatever is inside bags. Yeah people will bag things if the fight is taking too long but so what. If someone is able to bag every piece of gear before they are killed the kill took too long.

Item loot doesn't have to be complicated - 1 item, no primary, secondary or range slot loot, no backpack items looted. Done. As for instruments I have no experience with this but would it be bad to have them to be turned into no drop items?
Old 12-20-2011, 07:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust1d? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Item loot will kill the server. Why is this even up for discussion? Haven't you learned from previous boxes? Maybe start with yellow text and global ooc.
This is a emulator pvp server on a 12 year old game. The people that play here enjoy everquest pvp and can't get it anywhere else. The people I know that have come to this server were very upset when they heard there was no item loot, but they remain for the time being. They have been playing less and less and have most likely been burnt out already after seeing what the pvp scene is on this server as of now. Basically the pvp is pointless and just leads to more tough grinding that most people don't have time for. The only people who get a big kick out of PvP right now are the people that enjoy taking screen shots and posting them on forums which amounts to about 10 - 15 people.

My pvp experience so far is been really weak as well. I have probably killed around 15 people, but no one has even attacked me yet. I am not saying no one has killed me, I'm saying no one has even attacked me. There really isn't any point right now, you just risk losing exp and there are no teams so it just seems like a dick move really. Every time I kill someone I just shrug and go hmmm that was pointless, and then move on.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Banned

once upon a time there was a pvp server that had good rewards and Devs who had daily updates and listened to players....everyone left that server. So it goes to show that no matter what you do, you cannot please everyone.

I for one will leave if they put in item loot.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Banned

only way item loot will work is with the removal of no drop tags, and to avoid the server pop cutting itself in half over it equipped shit should probably not be lootable.
Closed Thread