Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone have a 3 4 or 5 digit DCI number?

I remember selling the beta power 9 in 1997 for $300..and thought i was getting a HUGE deal!
lol i almost had a 3 digit dci constructed rating one time :P
didnt know the store i used to play at switched to sanctioned exteneded tournaments, i played like 6 weeks straight trying to perfect the goofiest combos not caring at all before i found out... haha
stuff like
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]...
kids were playing serious affinity decks at the time
Old 09-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Fire Giant

Magic: The Gathering (of nerds)

Landazar [50 Magician]
Old 09-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Aviak

Basic deck build info is run 60 cards. Any more and your less likely to get the cards you need to win. Run with 24 lands unless your running some kinda of mana acceleration cards then you can drop the number of lands some( i once had an elf deck with 18 lands was lolz) The main thing is to have fun i used to love playing MTG until i started going to tourneys all the time. The competition is fun but it turns the game from " lol just had a fun 18 turn game of magic with a friend " to " OMG It took me 5 turns to win WTFBBQ!"
Old 09-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumdumm [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yo feach, if you used to play red t2 in the 90s, you would probably cry if you saw some of the overpowered stuff they added a couple sets back

like a 2/2 HASTE (uneffected by summoning sickness) goblin for just a single red mana?! wtf~!!!!
sure, its got a minor drawback, but who cares when you're rollin over people's faces in the first 4 turns of the game

but that just cycled out i believe
we should probably be friends, just sayin. too bad im antisocial.

mtg is the best game ever, but the current direction of the game is fucking horrible. MTG was at its finest just before planewalkers were introduced. nowadays, no damage on the stack? no mana burn? 80 dollar mythic rares, fresh from a pack that's still printed? LOL.

MTG was at its finest just before planewalkers/mythics were introduced. I had the most monsterous t2 white weenie deck around kamigawa era. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Umezawa's Jitte was so good.

Now, though. Every card is fucking godlike and I can't take it seriously because every decent decklist requires 500+ bucks.

Dumb.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Banned

hell yeah man

im still hoping for combat damage on the stack will come back, been hording morphlings & other cards that would love to be broken again

lol jitte, one of the best ways to get a kid to ragequit & throw his deck across the room
or a turn 1 hymn to tourach hahahha
Old 09-20-2011, 12:03 AM
Banned

I would work on proper deck construction if I were you Shanna. Constructed decks (pre-made decks, not opened on the spot) typically have a minimum card limit of 60 with no max. This means that most people will run EXACTLY 60 cards because for every card over this you drastically decrease your odds of drawing relevant spells. With this in mind, you are allowed 4 copies of each non-basicland card in your deck. So naturally most decklists you will find will also be running 4 of all of their best spells. Here's a friends deck as an example: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital.../tourn/2803260

As you see, his deck (the top one) is running mostly 4x and 3x all of their spells in order to best increase their odds of seeing them. Another thing to note is his land count of 23. Just starting you should probably run 24 in all of your 60 card decks as a general practice until you get better at calculating the math needed to figure out exactly how many you really need. Decks made of cards that have a lower converted mana cost (CC) tend to run fewer lands, while decks with higher CC will run more naturally, but with 24 you should be seeing enough regularly in your games so that you're not "mana-screwed". One last basica thing to keep track of, regarding lands and CC; pay attention to how many cards in your deck are expensive/cheap, so you can start making mana adjustments accordingly.

As far as colors go, no color is really "stronger" than any of the others as in it will outright win, that said the colors generally have particular effects that show up repeatidly within them. They are as follows:
blue - permission/card advantage
green - big creatures
black - removal spells, zombies, death, sacrifices, regeneration etc.
red - direct damage, haste creatures
white - protection, powerful enchantments, solid creatures

Some colors power well together, although with the depth of the cardpool nearly anything can be concocted and work out fairly well.

First 60 card deck outline:
23-24 lands
8 removal spells (kill your opponents creatures)
20 creatures
8 fun spells/enchantments to play around with

Have fun!

EDIT: Also, you may want to try to avoid "color screw" (not getting the proper kind of mana, by running either 1 or 2 colors, although with a high land count and some filtering you should have little difficulty splashing for a third if you wish.
Last edited by Mcbard; 09-20-2011 at 12:08 AM..
Old 09-20-2011, 12:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone have a 3 4 or 5 digit DCI number?

I remember selling the beta power 9 in 1997 for $300..and thought i was getting a HUGE deal!
my DCI number is 6 digits((

Played MTG from 93-01. Playing Online MTG last year for awhile but just ended up spending to much cash. Use to do pre-release tourneys and PTQ's in Philly area back in the day.
Last edited by Thulack; 09-20-2011 at 12:32 AM..
Old 09-20-2011, 12:32 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannacore [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So a friend and I started playing this over the weekend. Neither of us had previously played, and it was certainly a lot of fun. What's the strategy in creating your deck though? He was playing black/white while I was playing red, which seemed alright. We both pretty much had no idea what we were doing, but we were learning as the games went on. Our matches were definitely close (although he proceeded to win every single match except one), which makes me think his deck was just better..?

I D K, give me some nerdy tips on how you assemble your decks / play your cards. Is one color set obviously better than the other..? I bought a couple of packs of cards this weekend, going to try to put together an ub3r l33t deck this week. I need to be prepared for Thursdays games, giev tips ~ ~
It depends on which 'type' you're playing (look them up...certain game 'types' restrict certain cards/card sets/etc).

With the older cards there's some first turn kill combos, some combos where you can't lose at all, and other decks that lead to 3 hour games.

Quote:
First 60 card deck outline:
23-24 lands
8 removal spells (kill your opponents creatures)
20 creatures
8 fun spells/enchantments to play around with
This ^^^ is so fuck-stupid I don't even know where to start.

Quote:
Basic deck build info is run 60 cards. Any more and your less likely to get the cards you need to win. Run with 24 lands unless your running some kinda of mana acceleration cards then you can drop the number of lands some( i once had an elf deck with 18 lands was lolz) The main thing is to have fun i used to love playing MTG until i started going to tourneys all the time. The competition is fun but it turns the game from " lol just had a fun 18 turn game of magic with a friend " to " OMG It took me 5 turns to win WTFBBQ!"
Lets see if I can remember the elf deck from high school...

Llanowar Elf x4
Fyndhorn Elf x4
Priest of Titania x4
Elvish Archers x4
Seeker of Skybreak x2
Skyshroud Sentinel x4

Coat of Arms x4
Alluran x2
Recycle x2
Concordnant Crossroads x1
Mox Emerald x1 (a legit Mox Emerald)
Lotus Petal x4 (before it was restricted)

Overrun x4

Gaea's Cradle x1
Forest x7

There's like 16 cards I can't remember...but that's the basic gist of the deck. Basically you end up playing your deck and attacking (Overrun is only there to give Trample).

No idea how the rules work now as I haven't played since the Urza's block. Also...fuck High Tide + Palinchron...and any deck built around Humility and Crusade...one guy had a deck with Darkest Hour and something else I can't remember that was just super fucking annoying. We had one deck that was over hundreds of cards and was just ever Legend card there was (at the time)...it was fucking terrible but really funny.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:15 AM
Aviak

Mine was
60 cards
18 forest
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Timberwatch elves
4 Treetop Scouts
4 Elven Champions
4 Fog
4 Elvish Vangaurds
2 Heedless one
4 Seeker of Skybreak
4 taunting Elf
4 Wirewood Herald
4 Wirewood Pride
Sideboard:
4 Elvish Scrappers
4 Elven Lyrist
3 Naturalize
4 Gae's Herald
Old 09-20-2011, 05:37 AM
Planar Protector

do any of you mix in yugioh cards sometimes?

never got a straight answer