Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukahwa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't use messed up quotes to attack me and my argument without offering any defense for your standpoint.

My point is that there is no reason to go kill players that are EXPing in unrest except to get their item loot. If killing 50 percent HP players focusing on death beetles makes you feel good..you have a problem. Its just not fun unless there is some actual risk.

I use a short norman horse that is easier to get on when fully armored.
well a mr sigmund freud us pvp champs only kill ppl who are 50% focusing on death beetles wut u gonna do bout that
Old 09-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Planar Protector

make it exp loss only if you get killed by a player +/- 1 level of you.

that way ppl wont be losing much exp, until everyone hits max level already. this will deter end-game bind rushing and make a penalty for death, but take out a lot of the grief potential and fear of pvp
Old 09-04-2011, 01:37 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukahwa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't care about coin loot at all. I think it should be there..but item loot is way more important to me. Really really needs to be there. Low level PVP is just boring without it. Only RL losers pvp at low levels for "pride" or PK recognition so for people who arent losers IRL there is no reason to pvp at low levels at all without item loot.
That's certainly a blue way of looking at it. Ok, so back to the PVP server we're talking about, what reason do I need to kill??

Quote:
Thats why I believe in playnice rules and Loot and Scoot because otherwise if lowbies do ever kill a twink they are going to have to corpse camp him until he logs off unless they want to find more interruptions to their leveling up.
LnS is a request. If you're talking about a non-leveling twink who sits in newb areas, I would deny that request and probably keep an eye on the zone...
Old 09-04-2011, 01:49 AM
Kobold

Quote:
My point is that there is no reason to go kill players that are EXPing in unrest except to get their item loot. If killing 50 percent HP players focusing on death beetles makes you feel good..you have a problem. Its just not fun unless there is some actual risk.
You, sir, are a bluebie. Why not just duel? Or make it interesting - duel in the arena!!
Old 09-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Aviak

I'm pretty much a novice to PvP, I only played for a few months at the start of kunark on RZ but I'll be damned if the item loot (if i remember correctly) wasn't a perk.

I understand the incredible suck of getting precious items ganked, but on the other end of the thing that's where the pure awesome comes in at. I think this adds to the allure of it all. Finding no drop gear, bagging your shit before dying, it makes things more interesting.

Only thing I'm not really for, since I've always played melee class is the loss of primary weapons. That totally destroys any melee character. It's like lifting a caster's best researched nuke from their spell book. Since i see casters getting an advantage, to some degree. there needs to be a balance to this matter (If i'm missing this, point it out to me, I'm novice /intermediate with pvp EQ )
Old 09-05-2011, 12:36 AM
Sarnak

Devs, please try out item loot on beta. Maybe try to have a poll or something in game to see if it is kept?

Would probably make more people want to "try" the beta test.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:03 AM
Planar Protector

item loot, so i can grief meles 24/7 as a caster NAKID!
Old 09-05-2011, 02:55 AM
Sarnak

Xareth I'm not a bluebie I'm just a rallos zek player that quit when they added augments and there was no incentive for me to try to kill players.

Don't be weak sauce and call people bluebies whenever you don't agree with them.

For me, killing players trying to get EXP isn't very satisfying. At least it doesn't prove im a really great player or anything. Its still sort of fun. Its a lot more fun when there is an actual reward in it for me..and even more fun when every time I attack someone I am placing a bet (my own gear) on myself winning that fight.

When I'm not wagering my own gear against the gear I might win, there is no excitement.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:08 AM
Orc

Alright, so this thread has finally spurred me into creating a forum account.

I have been waiting for a classic PVP server for ages, used to play on VZ/TZ and while fun (and at times, hilariously racist), just wasn't quite right.

Before I get into the item loot topic, I would like to touch on the EXP with PVP. I think it's best to leave EXP out of PVP combat entirely. It's just going to lead to griefing or exploiting one way or the other.

Onto the real matter at hand in my opinion, and that is item loot. I am 100% for item loot on the new red server. It made Rallos Zek the most unique gaming experience I've ever had, and really added to the whole atmosphere of the game, probably making it 2nd on my list of all time atmospheric MMOs (with Neocron winning that title, but that's neither here nor there).

THIS BEING SAID: I love me some melee classes, and if the server is to go one item loot, items in bags and items in weapon slots should be off limits. If you allow players to loot a melee class' weapon, it is far too crippling to recover from. This is non-negotiable. It's the way it was on Rallos Zek, and it worked and worked well. Granted, the level +/- on RZ was only four, so we can expect to lose more of our shit on this server, but that's alright because it brings a whole new meaning to having backup (friends) and guilds in general.

Having item loot on PVP gives all the no drop gear that much more purpose as well. Shin gauntlets and greaves anyone?

It seems like there are a fair amount of arguments on both sides concerning item loot, but none of the arguments I've seen against item loot have had anything but baseless claims saying that it will decrease population, but without anything to back it up (I may have missed something as I skipped to the last page of the thread after 16).

I think even those people worried about item loot will find that it's really not that harmful as dying does no come instantly in EQ and you usually have more than enough time to start bagging your important shit if need be. If you're quick about it, you can usually bag all your stuff if you know you're done for (I got real good at bagging my equipment, all it took was 'Nakedmancer begins to cast a spell.').

I realize my post doesn't hold much water as a long time lurker with one post is the equivalent of a noob, but I think R99 will be much more fun with item loot, and those scared of it would be pleasantly surprised at the elements of fun and suspense it adds.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:23 AM
Planar Protector

ok then, facts:

.) population on vztz increased by 100% the moment item loot was taken out
.) meles in classic are useless without gear vs. casters who can run around nakid and still do full dmg
.) once lvl 46+ is reached u wont care about itemloot anymore
.) good items need to be camped for hours to get a drop while u can lose them pretty fast in just one short lagspike
Closed Thread