Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 07:56 AM
Decaying Skeleton

i am loving this but could you do something like make the books there but can only port in and you have to be ported out by a druid or wiz so then iksars can mover faster? like if a zone has no way to get to it yes that book works but other then that they are all ports in? and 2 can we not have the bazaar zone at all? that would still keep trade so it is not afk.
Old 09-27-2023, 05:13 PM
Planar Protector

Is Secrets going to do a PQ Red server? I asked in Larry's chat but he must have "missed it" [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-27-2023, 05:29 PM
Banned

Considering the grand success that is Red99 it boggles my mind how Secrets missed that one. Must have too much on the plate as it is.
Old 09-27-2023, 05:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No he has no plans to do that, but 2 other people are already working on it. I think it's called Age of Thule? Something of Thule.
Reign of Thule PvP TAKP by Darksinga

I haven't followed the status of that one. Not a fan of EQ PvP myself.

I've always wanted to see some kind of contest between the sweatiest e-sport P99 high end raider types vs the PvP vet Zek folks in some kind of balanced contest. Not sure how that could be done in any kind of balanced manner.

The p99 Blue and Green top raiders who have BiS put in some serious DKP to get there and are probably in the most competitive EQ raiding scene on any EQ servers ever Emu or TLP or even Live. The raiders every where else are just not playing at same level. Rotations long replaced batphones everywhere except P99.

PvP EQers, the Zek folks, however have honed their craft of player killing over a couple decades within the massively unbalanced nature of EQ class structure and intricacies most PvE players don't have much experience in.

Some form of competition between these two groups would be super interesting to see if ever facilitated by enterprising devs.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:10 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is Secrets going to do a PQ Red server? I asked in Larry's chat but he must have "missed it" [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not actually going to do one; I covered this in Larry's interview.

Two reasons:
1) I don't know EQ PvP enough to do it justice. I'm afraid if I were to do this, I would fuck it up, listen to the wrong people, etc.

It's not really something I've ever had an interest in, let alone running.

2) EQ is a solved game. PVP even more so. However, the knowledge gap between playing PVE and playing PVP is far too high, simply due to the lack of interest in PVP over the years.

Meaning, to actually make PVP fun, I feel like I'd have to reinvent the wheel there for it to be accessible to players in not just a way I understand, but that which is easy for players to understand, too.

I would much rather do an 'arena-style' system for Quarm where you queue up for matches, than actually do a server for PVP.

I also don't think that's a "PVP" server, which means it wouldn't be attractive to PVP players. But moreso something on top of PVE content that still caters to PVE'ers.

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 09-27-2023, 08:15 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seducio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Considering the grand success that is Red99 it boggles my mind how Secrets missed that one. Must have too much on the plate as it is.
The saving grace of Red99 is it acts basically like a penal colony, keeping all of the worst players/trolls/griefers away from the general population.
Old 09-27-2023, 08:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Two reasons:
1) I don't know EQ PvP enough to do it justice. I'm afraid if I were to do this, I would fuck it up, listen to the wrong people, etc.

It's not really something I've ever had an interest in, let alone running.

2) EQ is a solved game. PVP even more so. However, the knowledge gap between playing PVE and playing PVP is far too high, simply due to the lack of interest in PVP over the years.

Meaning, to actually make PVP fun, I feel like I'd have to reinvent the wheel there for it to be accessible to players in not just a way I understand, but that which is easy for players to understand, too.

I would much rather do an 'arena-style' system for Quarm where you queue up for matches, than actually do a server for PVP.

I also don't think that's a "PVP" server, which means it wouldn't be attractive to PVP players. But moreso something on top of PVE content that still caters to PVE'ers.
Good humility on where your passion centers and where it wanes. That self awareness of 'what is your why' will take you far. I think most of us are appreciative of the innovation happening on PQ and the emphasis you are placing there. Having the ability and resilience for you to stay in it for the long haul with grace is the best we can hope for. Even p99 devs have more than likely needed breaks for short or long periods of time. Your health matters.

Very interesting with regard to your 'arena-style' system. Almost sounds kind of like FF6 coliseum type idea maybe. I think staying away from direct PVP server and having a few custom PVP elements down the line is in alignment with where the old school EQ player base's passion level for EQ PVP currently is at (low).
Old 09-28-2023, 12:02 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzHaN80 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So i been playing the BETA but i really hate how mouselooks work in there, trying to look up with the mouse, makes you look down and viceversa, plus is super clunky AF...
This is my primary hold back from this project. Everything else is super cool. Do people that post here actually try this Beta? This mouselook is ridiculous (at least to me coming form P99).
Old 09-28-2023, 12:10 AM
Banned

Short term solution: Deal with it as it is. Play early. Most likely what you found on Beta will be what release is like. The rough and tumble day 1 model.

Mid term solution: Some current client upgrades arriving Oct 15. May or may not help with mouselook. It's on Secrets to do and will be looked it. Two weeks in there will be possible improvements with current client.

Long term solution: Wait for Evolution client. Currently worked on by Kicnlag (from ProjectLantern). Evolution client comes with built in mousewheel and smooth camera similar to Titanium. No date given yet on when this will be released for PQ.

Eventually when Evolution client is out the transition from p99 to PQ will be nearly seamless from player perspective used to p99 controls.
Old 09-28-2023, 12:17 AM
Decaying Skeleton

I would love /melody for a Bard the pain i experience from my Carpal tunnel syndrome is unbearable to manually twist. The server being only 1 Box means /melody wouldn't be abused to box. This will enable a lot of the player base who loves Bards to be able to return to it. Without it, many would be forced to play a class they didn't intend to play as.
Closed Thread