Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrddraal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
WoW -retained- better sub numbers because people paying for the game wanted to experience the content at their own pace, which instancing most / all raid content allowed and why EQ moved toward that as time passed.
I don't believe this was the main reason EQ moved towards instancing. I didn't play wow so I can't speak to that experience, personally.

All I can point to is my personal experiences, as well as players from the time, and the many incorrect decisions Smedley and company made that removed them from the discussion altogether. A lot of players were complaining, just like here in p99, about "toxic! raiders! We don't want competition!".

Sometimes, you have to tell your children no. EQ should have told those players asking for instancing and rotations "No" because that decision and the Atari mindset of "quantity over quality" were the two main reasons Live died. The divergence of the playstyles, casual with friends vs. end game raiding, was natural yet it wasn't necessary to choose one over the other. EQ should have kept both the way it was and is here on p99. This is what made the best Everquest and MMO ever.

Players that enjoy the game on instanced and rotated servers aren't experiencing the most that a true MMO has to offer, just a shadow copy of the real thing, and that's a shame.
Old 02-12-2022, 07:41 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantagarBrax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't believe this was the main reason EQ moved towards instancing. I didn't play wow so I can't speak to that experience, personally.

All I can point to is my personal experiences, as well as players from the time, and the many incorrect decisions Smedley and company made that removed them from the discussion altogether. A lot of players were complaining, just like here in p99, about "toxic! raiders! We don't want competition!".

Sometimes, you have to tell your children no. EQ should have told those players asking for instancing and rotations "No" because that decision and the Atari mindset of "quantity over quality" were the two main reasons Live died. The divergence of the playstyles, casual with friends vs. end game raiding, was natural yet it wasn't necessary to choose one over the other. EQ should have kept both the way it was and is here on p99. This is what made the best Everquest and MMO ever.

Players that enjoy the game on instanced and rotated servers aren't experiencing the most that a true MMO has to offer, just a shadow copy of the real thing, and that's a shame.
How I like to experience the game is strictly better even though I haven't played the other game. Even though my game is historically less popular and basically died because the other game was a massive success I'm right guys. Trust me.
Old 02-12-2022, 07:59 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantagarBrax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Bruh why do you think shadowbane died? You can only have so many "wolves" before all the sheep leave the server and they cannibalize themselves. Its 100% why they made instances. Another reason live died was people wanted newer graphics, younger generations anyway. Super simple mechanics, bad graphics, endless grind, most people werent down for that.
Ielwenu - 56 magician
Deeloofie - 49 monk
Old 02-12-2022, 09:45 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
This is a decision that should never have been made and the results were clearly evident. There was a smaller moment when luclin came out where questions began to arise as to the direction of the game with port scions limiting interactions and other minor issues, yet the main downfall of the game came post PoP when instancing became the normal and players and other guilds stopped interacting with each other completely. This decision, while made in an attempt to benefit "the health of the server", in fact did the exact opposite and killed their own game to the point it no longer became the King nor relevant.
You do understand that to this day live EQ still gets expansions and still has a MUCH larger playerbase than P99 does right? You realize that EQ got knocked out of the top spot by another MMO that uses (very heavily) the same systems you claim were the downfall of EQ? I really worry about the mental state of some of you guys at times. Some of yall seriously walk around thinking because there's a 800 player emu server with old busted mechanics that means somehow it's the best way to do things and everything else sucks or "caters to noobs" or some other dumb excuse.

A VERY small niche minority crowd of people enjoys "competitive" PvE Everquest. If a MMO launched today with 10x the playerbase of P99 it would end up being shut down and written off as a failure. There's a gigantic deck of facts stacked against you if you try to claim otherwise. We can argue back and forth all you want but the numbers and facts and history don't lie.

These statements are not up for debate amongst sane human beings
Why does <Vanquish> allow DSM to be a member?
Old 02-12-2022, 10:06 PM
Kobold

Default Don't forget

I think many of you are forgetting that P99 is all that some of these hard-core raiders have. Their social interactions and what little fulfillment they experience in life is solely contained in P99, and when they get that exclusive loot, by competing to keep others away, it helps them feel elite, like they're better than others because the moment they step away from the computer, the reality of their hollow lives cuts deep. They wouldn't ever give that up because they have nothing else.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:18 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Players never really "asked" for instancing - it was introduced in the LDoN expansion as a test to see if EQ Live could move to that system as a fix for the open world problems.

EQ live had many issues, but after Planes of Powers, they had 3 expansions that were considered failures. LoY, LDoN, and Gates of Discord. GoD was a mess and by the time OoW came out to try and fix the issues from GoD, players had enough - Live lost a massive chunk of their player base (server mergers) and most never came back. WoW had a big following from their previous games, much easier to level and gear... overall it appealed to the masses.
Old 02-12-2022, 11:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rager and Quitter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think many of you are forgetting that P99 is all that some of these hard-core raiders have. Their social interactions and what little fulfillment they experience in life is solely contained in P99, and when they get that exclusive loot, by competing to keep others away, it helps them feel elite, like they're better than others because the moment they step away from the computer, the reality of their hollow lives cuts deep. They wouldn't ever give that up because they have nothing else.
And what else is there?
Old 02-13-2022, 02:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlsNoBan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

P.S. I wasn't banned for any of the reasons you stated. Good guesses tho!
yikes
Old 02-13-2022, 03:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Players never really "asked" for instancing - it was introduced in the LDoN expansion as a test to see if EQ Live could move to that system as a fix for the open world problems.

EQ live had many issues, but after Planes of Powers, they had 3 expansions that were considered failures. LoY, LDoN, and Gates of Discord. GoD was a mess and by the time OoW came out to try and fix the issues from GoD, players had enough - Live lost a massive chunk of their player base (server mergers) and most never came back. WoW had a big following from their previous games, much easier to level and gear... overall it appealed to the masses.
LoY, Ldon were the best! GoD was alright going back to it after oow, but it had a terrible colour palette and muddy details. I preferred the strong contrasting colours and clear boundaries in details of earlier eq.

I think they added instancing for Plane of Time too.

I don’t mind too much the raid system in p1999 - it is pretty cool to get an email inviting you to kill a boss at that moment. Someone said people that won’t try non-instance are missing out, but many of these players don’t play the game as a sport but as a narrative and they want to be able to play the story of going to the dragons lair with no one but their choice friend and saving the world from this terror.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 02-13-2022, 05:19 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
LoY, Ldon were the best! GoD was alright going back to it after oow, but it had a terrible colour palette and muddy details. I preferred the strong contrasting colours and clear boundaries in details of earlier eq.

I think they added instancing for Plane of Time too.

I don’t mind too much the raid system in p1999 - it is pretty cool to get an email inviting you to kill a boss at that moment. Someone said people that won’t try non-instance are missing out, but many of these players don’t play the game as a sport but as a narrative and they want to be able to play the story of going to the dragons lair with no one but their choice friend and saving the world from this terror.
Most players overall were not happy with LoY and LDoN, although they did add some good things (armor dyes, guild manager, augments), it was the content of those 2 expansions that was lacking, and at the time we had to wait a year for a new, big expansion.

A big reason GoD failed was SOE, for whatever reason, did not add the 5 levels that the expansion was supposed to have - making the content extremely difficult. Only a small number of guilds beat GoD without the level cap, I would be surprised if more than 5 guilds beat it before OoW. There were other issues as well (graphics issues, unfinished quests and zones), and it was considered a waste of money by most of the players and pissed everyone off.

I raided heavily back then and PoTime was on a guild rotation for most servers. It wasn't until after the server mergers, which was OoW era, that SOE went back and made Time instanced. Most guilds were bottlenecked in Time and still struggled in GoD (Uqua) due to the rotations / not having quality geared raiders.

--------

And once instances became common on Live, high-end (at least on my server) competition switched to your gear and where you guild stood, server wide and on your individual server. It was tracked on 2 websites: EQrankings.com, which was a server wide guild tracking and rankings website, and the class rankings on Magelo.

Neither of those can apply on P99 due to the time-lock, maybe the gear ranking for a short time would have worked a few years ago, eventually BiS characters will tie one another and it will become pointless.

Different eras of the game...
Closed Thread