Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 04:56 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Treating black people differently for any reason is definitionally racist. Don't matter if you shine their shoes or burn a cross on their lawn.
Incorrect
Old 02-20-2021, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Incorrect
Quote:
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:55 PM
Planar Protector

me, putting mlk's picture next to my framed portrait of hitler: "i just think its rly important to listen to all sides."
Old 02-20-2021, 06:09 PM
Sarnak

I'm pretty sure Dr. King would make a distinction between shining a black man's shoes and burning a cross in that man's yard.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:31 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalflingSpergand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Black people were definitely slaves so we gotta be extra nicies forever
Consider this picture and, please, try your best to not get too excited about it:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This man was murdered for being falsely accused of trying to harm a white woman (she later admitted that this wasn't true). What I would like you to notice though is the smiling little girl behind him. Do you think she would be smiling if it were a puppy being hung? She is smiling here because she was taught that the lives of blacks are worth less than even animals.

Some people like to imagine that slavery was hundreds of years ago so what's the big deal, why do we even have to bring it up anymore? This picture is from 1935. That little girl is someone's grandmother or great grandmother today. Racism is most often taught and unfortunately the legacy and lasting detrimental effects of slavery can not just be simply forgotten so soon.

No, I'm not trying to say that you "gotta be extra nicies forever," but I am trying to say that you should probably try to be more empathetic and realize slavery wasn't actually that long ago and yes, it wouldn't hurt for you to keep this context in mind when interacting with black people today.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm pretty sure Dr. King would make a distinction between shining a black man's shoes and burning a cross in that man's yard.
Not if the behaviors were based solely on a person's race or identity, which is why he emphasized content of character.

The point is to treat everyone universally with dignity and respect based upon their humanity. Not based upon the melanin content in their skin, what gender they have sex with, or if they underwent a procedure to modify their genitalia.

Whether the treatment is positive or negative doesn't matter. People who modify their treatment of others (good or bad / preferential / deferential) based upon characteristics such as race or sexual preference are in fact the bigots themselves.

The preferential treatment may make you feel better about yourself and give you a sense of moral superiority over others, but you are hurting the people you think you are trying to help and stagnating their ability to develop and grow. You are essentially putting them in a box based upon their identity with no way out.

You don't allow them to develop as human beings outside of their identity, so they can never truly grow and overcome adversity. Overcoming adversity builds character. It builds self esteem.

Adversity can be defined in many different ways. Maybe you have a learning disorder. Maybe you grew up poor. Maybe you grew up without a mother or father. By facing these challenges and overcoming them, it builds character and prepares you for success.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Treating black people differently for any reason is definitionally racist. Don't matter if you shine their shoes or burn a cross on their lawn.
Indeed, being nice is the worst kind of racism. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-20-2021, 07:17 PM
Banned

hey p1999ers, hope you're all having a fine evening!
Old 02-20-2021, 07:26 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snortles Chortles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
hey p1999ers, hope you're all having a fine evening!
I take it the snortles ban appeal and the chortles ban appeal was effective?
Old 02-20-2021, 08:06 PM
Orc

I'm personally disgusted cancel culture has made it's way into p99.
Closed Thread