Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 08:37 PM
Banned

indeed. It would be cool if they added evil bards and I want to add them in super Everquest. If I ever make super Everquest I hope I am not bummed out that I am the one that made it. Which may make it boring because there are probably more than one reason in the soul that makes you not want to like a great game that you made. That's one reason I feel bad for Brad McQuaid. But oh well maybe its my duty. Some things I would want to definitely make sure are in the game.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:53 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeni [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Clueless enforcement of server rules will always be a thing because none of the GMs know what a PvP server is or willing to take the time to find out.

I'll spell it out for GMs in an attempt to help them understand. City of Mist is a zone, a guild will gravity flux all members besides the bard to unreachable locations. The bard then power levels hundreds of new alts that your guild will have to fight. The bard moves fast, you can't kill a fast bard, so you attempt to slow him down, the entire zone worth of mobs catch him and he dies, you get a two week suspension or more for PvP'ing a bard.

Alternatively your other option is to tuck your tail and follow stupid rules enforced by people who have never played on a PvP server and the enemy levels unlimited alts for you to fight but you can't even pvp them while they are leveling and then lose raid targets to a clearly very fun and engaging PvP playstyle.

The correct solution for a PVP server is and you might have guessed it but it's actually PvP! You and your guild PvP for zone control to allow your bard to safely power level your guild and have other guild members ready to help you defend so you can maintain zone control. Swarming 5+ characters constantly should carry risks.

On red the exp is so fast no one cares about an exp death outside of griefing noobs but everyone gets hard when they can convince some GM to ban the competition for 2 weeks + for no reason.

This is absolutely true.

It's like when Israel sent assassins a few weeks ago to kill that Iranian "scientist" in broad daylight. Yes - he may be a peaceful scientist, going about his day, but he's ultimately a weapon of war.

The bard is "Just PVE'ing", which would fall under protection to an ill informed GM, much like the scientist is a "civilian", but they are both fair game in my eyes.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:14 PM
Banned

The best thing to do on a fan developed community in which limitations of change are minimal is to just not try to enforce to many pvp rules unless its loot and scoot and hope the community doesn't abuse it. And only try to enforce the most severe of infractions such as intentional trains. Rooting a bard stealing all of your mobs to farm on an enemy guild should not apply. But that would be in a perfect universe. Its hard to tell people, "I dunno man, just dont be a dick."

Like but not exactly like, sparring practice. In sparring, not always necessary to knock each other out. Sometimes going medium speed is good, in order to allow more training to become better warriors. Rather than be one great warrior in one fight and never fight again and then never become a better warrior.
Last edited by Ret.SaxonAlex; 12-23-2020 at 09:22 PM..
Old 12-24-2020, 05:13 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_knight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It's not dissimilar to when you grow up and your parents tell you only 1 chocolate per day from the fridge, so you and your siblings dance around all excited when you get your one chocolate, it's a fun shared experience...but on red it is when you grow up and can buy a whole packet of chocolate and you can gorge it all down in one night, lonely, and have no one to share the experience with....and then you just end up fat and lonely with 10x level 60 toons decked in NToV gear.

So ultimately all you end up with is 10 empty chocolate packets and no experiences, or fun.

(Hopefully some of you can relate the chocolate to character's relationship).
That's a good analogy and one of the drawbacks of playing on Red - the lack of population and it feeling empty.

But on the other hand, when I've tried to play on blue/green I feel like it's all meaningless, all these hours invested into a charachter that will never be able to use his gear to compete against others and I can't stomach staying there. I guess what intrinsically separates us Red99:ers vs the bluebies is that we're competitive people.

So with those 2 negative options, I personally feel like the least bad option is to play Red99.
Also, I think most people on Red99 are really nice folks contrary to its reputation so that's not a factor that I hear so often on the forums about its toxicity - not true. Sure, perhaps very end game raiding, but what can you do.... I know I'd rather deal with that than lawyer questing and standing in line for pixel kills on blue/green.

Thanks for your input.
Closed Thread