Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 05:31 AM
Fire Giant

Some more fun facts - 1% of the population of the WORLD owns over 50% of the worlds wealth.

America also has the most millionaires in the world having a very hefty lead over numbers two and three china and japan.

Money is here in america its just very concentrated to the 1% and doesn't seem to be trickling down yet
Old 12-16-2020, 07:39 AM
Sarnak

I work in the IT business so I talk quite a bit with people from places like India and Pakistan. One of my co-workers moved here from India. I remember my co-worker told me that the thing that surprised him the most when he got here is seeing how "good" the middle class lived in America. He specifically mentioned things like houses and apartments that didn't have leaking roofs, every home has a TV and computer, we can buy new or near new cars that don't have holes in the floor.

To them, living on a 50K year salary in the US is like being rich because where they are from the middle class there live very poorly.

It's all perspective.
Gavallin Wood Elf Ranger lvl 23 (blue)
Jardahni Human Monk lvl 2 (green)
Old 12-16-2020, 08:15 AM
Banned

This headline is what is wrong with America. America is literally rich people bitching that other rich people are richer than they are. Even our poor people are rich in comparison. People who haven't travelled say dumb shit like this. Even if other countries have it better they are just even more rich.
Go somewhere and see real poverty and come back.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That chart is a joke.

I lived in both the UK and the US.

The UK's economy and job market sucks. I was always broke over there.

I flourished in the US with the opportunity here.

I guess the UK is better if you are more suited to living off the dole, but that would drive me insane as I like to work for a living.
This is an interesting post. In a way, it does somewhat support the chart - lower income people in UK are better off than US but high income in US are better off.

What years were you in the UK? The few years from 2008 were pretty dire. Thing seem to get better by 2012-2013. Much better by 2017.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Which junior high-school did you drop out of?

You should consider going back someday.
There are radiation belts that surround our planet making it impossible for humans to leave our atmosphere with current technology. Not sure if you are confused about the solar system and space in general?
Old 12-16-2020, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some more fun facts - 1% of the population of the WORLD owns over 50% of the worlds wealth.

America also has the most millionaires in the world having a very hefty lead over numbers two and three china and japan.

Money is here in america its just very concentrated to the 1% and doesn't seem to be trickling down yet
There is no trickle down, you either work your ass off to scratch your way to the top or you end up bitter and mad and vote for joe biden as a way to lash out against the people doing well.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaluppo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I work in the IT business so I talk quite a bit with people from places like India and Pakistan. One of my co-workers moved here from India. I remember my co-worker told me that the thing that surprised him the most when he got here is seeing how "good" the middle class lived in America. He specifically mentioned things like houses and apartments that didn't have leaking roofs, every home has a TV and computer, we can buy new or near new cars that don't have holes in the floor.

To them, living on a 50K year salary in the US is like being rich because where they are from the middle class there live very poorly.

It's all perspective.
I have 2 graphic designers in bangladesh that do my labels and i asked him how much a gallon of good milk is in the store, he said its usually around $1

I pay him $20 for a standard label design which nets him 1/4 shopping cart filled with food. If its a good label ( Which takes him a few hours ) i give him $50 or $100 which is basically a shopping spree and enough food for 2 weeks for his family.

India / pakistan / bangladesh is a dump, 99.9% of people are living in homemade shacks or horrible housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llanos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This headline is what is wrong with America. America is literally rich people bitching that other rich people are richer than they are. Even our poor people are rich in comparison. People who haven't travelled say dumb shit like this. Even if other countries have it better they are just even more rich.
Go somewhere and see real poverty and come back.
Most people dont have any perspective because they have never been anywhere else.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is no trickle down, you either work your ass off to scratch your way to the top or you end up bitter and mad and vote for joe biden as a way to lash out against the people doing well.
I think wealth is like a dust/gas cloud in space.

If small it dissipates into nothing, absorbed by larger gravity pools. Larger ones might grow into rocks or planets as they have enough gravity to be held together. The largest wealthpools are like stars, furious and all consuming. Sucking in mass and spitting out energy. Even bigger are the black holes of wealth which just more or less suck.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think wealth is like a dust/gas cloud in space.

If small it dissipates into nothing, absorbed by larger gravity pools. Larger ones might grow into rocks or planets as they have enough gravity to be held together. The largest wealthpools are like stars, furious and all consuming. Sucking in mass and spitting out energy. Even bigger are the black holes of wealth which just more or less suck.
It's an interesting analogy, but the sun also generates much of the energy that keeps our planets ecosystem alive. Granted also our molten core. But it's not black and white.

Still a pretty solid analogy, I feel like we live in a system with a blue giant that is going to collapse and nova soon tho. Less of a stable small yellow main sequence sun, economically.

Think a small cluster of yellow main sequence stars with several habitable planets would be the neatest (funnest, but maybe not the most efficient), and a noble 'engineering' task/goal. Tho, I guess stacking habitable planets is not as viable as spreading them out among several distant systems along different stages, as one sun will consume them all when it transitions into a red giant and starts burning helium.
Last edited by magnetaress; 12-16-2020 at 02:02 PM..
Old 12-17-2020, 02:15 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Filed under socio-economically dimwitted