Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 03:51 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by this user was banned [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So we are all ok with items like Red Wood Wands being abused to quad kite stuff in seconds at 5pp a recharge each? It just feels horribly wrong to leave things like this in place.
Yeah. In my mind that kind of thing falls into the completely broken category of things that should be changed, even if they were "classic", like the boats not working properly.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:56 PM
Orc

Personally, I think the P1999 staff, should aim to recreate the "spirit" of the classic trilogy, rather than emulate its wonky implementation and design flaws.

That includes learning from the past mistakes Verant did.
One could even argue that "legacy items" that were made permanently unattainable (like manastones), shouldn't have been on green at all.

Keeping unbalanced mechanics and wonky exploits in the game on purpose, just for "Classic Sake", goes against the original spirit of the game imo.

It's not really up to me though. :P
Old 11-20-2019, 03:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob54311 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah. In my mind that kind of thing falls into the completely broken category of things that should be changed, even if they were "classic", like the boats not working properly.
Lol. Is it really THAT big of an issue?

If someone wants to burn 5 plat to do 200 damage to 4 blue cons, who cares? It'll cost an arm and a leg and be a pain in the ass recharging constantly to do it much beyond level 25. By the time someone has the plat to spare and wants to make an alt they could as easily hire a druid or necro or whatever to PL them, except that way the plat isn't sunk into a merchant to keep down the inflation plenty of people like to complain about and they didn't need to spend time killing Mina to pile up a dozen or more wands to make it remotely bearable to do.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 11-20-2019 at 04:08 PM..
Old 11-20-2019, 04:57 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In the same way, P99 isn't easier in 2019 than live was in 1999... it's just that we already know what to do.
Which makes it easier. And it's not just that we already know what to do.. it's that we know how to use unintended ways to cheese it. You have used this argument regularly. But I like to look at it this way... the naggy/vox fights already done a month in. Sure they know the fight and how to beat it the intended way and it would have made it easier. But it wasn't done the intended way. Because knowing how to cheese it made it trivial. The 9th and 10th guilds to down naggy/vox in classic knew how to do it from the previous guilds. But it still took them multiple attempts to get it down.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:05 PM
Sarnak

I don't think being able to recharge items by repurchasing them was an intended game mechanic and definitely something I'd like to see removed. Buuuut I have a long list of things I'd liked to see removed (like the other major unintended feature, multiquesting) lol. I don't think item recharging or multiquesting is truly a part of the Classic feel. But I also believe in earning everything the proper way, so /shrug. Humanity obsesses over making things easier or more convenient.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bum3 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Which makes it easier. And it's not just that we already know what to do.. it's that we know how to use unintended ways to cheese it. You have used this argument regularly. But I like to look at it this way... the naggy/vox fights already done a month in. Sure they know the fight and how to beat it the intended way and it would have made it easier. But it wasn't done the intended way. Because knowing how to cheese it made it trivial. The 9th and 10th guilds to down naggy/vox in classic knew how to do it from the previous guilds. But it still took them multiple attempts to get it down.
You're basically asking for a different game entirely.

That's a patently absurd thing to do on an emulator specifically trying to recreate the old mechanics.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:01 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol. Is it really THAT big of an issue?

If someone wants to burn 5 plat to do 200 damage to 4 blue cons, who cares? It'll cost an arm and a leg and be a pain in the ass recharging constantly to do it much beyond level 25. By the time someone has the plat to spare and wants to make an alt they could as easily hire a druid or necro or whatever to PL them, except that way the plat isn't sunk into a merchant to keep down the inflation plenty of people like to complain about and they didn't need to spend time killing Mina to pile up a dozen or more wands to make it remotely bearable to do.
when the 4 blues you kill drop gems and items that sell for over 10p each and a vendor isn't far away then it's potentially profitable.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by this user was banned [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
when the 4 blues you kill drop gems and items that sell for over 10p each and a vendor isn't far away then it's potentially profitable.
Right.

So it's not that big of a deal.

You're spending 15pp to kill 4 niche level 20s that may break even or slightly profit you, on a server crowded with people who would also like to kill those mobs. Or you're spending 25pp to kill 4 level 30s that cover your costs with fine steel by a little, or are halflings that every necro and evil sham on the server would like to kill. Or whatever.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 11-20-2019 at 11:10 PM..
Old 11-20-2019, 11:12 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Right.

So it's not that big of a deal.
This trivializes leveling though and this is why it was removed on Red. Not like leveling that hard anyway, but it's detracting from the classic experience when people can just solo quad stuff instead of grouping. It's a similar argument for why we do not allow multi boxing.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
This trivializes leveling though and this is why it was removed on Red. Not like leveling that hard anyway, but it's detracting from the classic experience when people can just solo quad stuff instead of grouping. It's a similar argument for why we do not allow multi boxing.
It doesn't trivialize leveling until you've already leveled, and farmed. And even then, it only trivializes leveling for someone who also can find 4 mobs that drop at least bronze every kill around level 20, or fine steel or better every kill by 30. And even THEN, it still is only possible if nobody else is competing for the 4 mobs you need.

That "trivializes leveling" about as much as a ZEM in befallen does. Which is not at all, because it only works with a bunch of provisos and only for a minority of players.

AKA like I said, it's basically no different than paying for power level except it isn't even a plat sink.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 11-20-2019 at 11:37 PM..
Closed Thread