Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 01:40 PM
Planar Protector

Stream of consciousness is bad and probably responsible for 90% of the bullshit English teachers have to suffer through.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:42 PM
Planar Protector

Question

do people just turn it in liek that?
Old 10-12-2018, 02:00 PM
Planar Protector

The one major reason I never pursued teaching, English specifically, is the vast feeling of pride people have about their bullshit. I’ve repeatedly overheard students bragging about “bullshitting” their way through arbitrary page lengths and no teacher isn’t going to pick up on it, they just don’t care because no one does. I’m not pursuing a career that is 90% futility.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:05 PM
Planar Protector

Smile

hmm, well I will defer to your judgement on that. i know what has worked for me, but generally I assume i am doing it wrong even if it works, because people often look at me liek I'm an alien when I explain how/why i do what i do.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:29 PM
Banned

not to toot my own horn but i right QUALITY essays on these boards like every other day.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:17 PM
Banned

Looking back to college. There was a lot of fuzzy thinking in among English professors and students. They didn't know this because they have no ability to objectively measure anything they are doing in there.

The closest thing to an objective measure is how the class feels about certain writing in terms of how enjoyable it is....and that is obviously not at all objective.

In general, every English professor I had seemed annoyed with any kind of assertion there was objective truth. From what I can tell -- they straight think the would is subjective.

Conservative students are common in English.

I think English professors actually have some qualifications on determining what writing is good vs what is bad...but you rarely are treated to any discussion on that. They usually want to discuss whatever (multi-cultural) material their writing samples they give you to read are on. Despite that few of them are educated in any of these subjects.
Last edited by JurisDictum; 10-12-2018 at 04:20 PM..
Old 10-12-2018, 04:18 PM
Banned

This message is hidden because JurisDictum is on your ignore list.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaduwridder [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you right quality essays huh
The essence of their weakness.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmoranis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
not to toot my own horn but i right QUALITY essays on these boards like every other day.
LOL's forum is pop in today
Old 10-12-2018, 04:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The one major reason I never pursued teaching, English specifically, is the vast feeling of pride people have about their bullshit. I’ve repeatedly overheard students bragging about “bullshitting” their way through arbitrary page lengths and no teacher isn’t going to pick up on it, they just don’t care because no one does. I’m not pursuing a career that is 90% futility.
Rhetoric can be used to explain anything which legitimizes bullshit and the pretense of English majors. I majored in English and it's almost insufferable, but most papers are graded upon grammar and structure rather than content.