Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 03:58 AM
Large Rat

Smile Questions about some classes

Hiya, everyone! I'm basically brand new to Everquest, and loving the time I've spent so far but I'm having a bit of a "main crisis" at the moment and thought maybe getting some answers to questions I have might help me decide what class to commit to first.

My favorite class so far is Shadow Knight but I'm somewhat concerned by some information I've seen on the wiki about how the "only races to play" for SK are Troll or Ogre, since they can bash with a 2h weapon. My question is: If I decided to play another race for aesthetic reasons would I maybe get excluded from some groups even if I carried a sword/board for when I need to bash?

My second question is about Shaman. I really like the idea of a supportive class that works well pretty much everywhere and (most importantly for my personal tastes) can wear armor and cast spells, but I'm not super keen on being primarily considered a healer for grouping. My question is: About how often would you say shamans are expected to be the primary healers? Is it a case of last resort "There's really just nobody else"? Or is it a more commonly expected role for them to fill?

My final question is about Ranger. I was surprised to find out how generally not focused on ranged combat Rangers are in Everquest and my interest in them has only continued to rise as I learned more about their tools and capabilities, but I have also become aware of their reputation as generally "useless", lacking the damage of rogues, durability of knights, and spell coverage of druid. My question is: Does this reputation translate to a bias against rangers in game? For example: will I have a hard time finding groups for dungeons as I level up a ranger?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post, I hope to have a lot more fun in game, have a good day! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-29-2018, 11:54 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummyfish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My final question is about Ranger. I was surprised to find out how generally not focused on ranged combat Rangers are in Everquest and my interest in them has only continued to rise as I learned more about their tools and capabilities, but I have also become aware of their reputation as generally "useless", lacking the damage of rogues, durability of knights, and spell coverage of druid. My question is: Does this reputation translate to a bias against rangers in game? For example: will I have a hard time finding groups for dungeons as I level up a ranger?
Just to hone in on this part, anyone who considers rangers useless in group dungeons is being willfully ignorant.

All of the drawbacks you noted are 100% true, BUT they have a huge toolbox from which to draw their skills tailored to many different situations. They are fantastic pullers, they can track farther than they can see, they can assist with CC with root, they have great snap aggro, and I could go on....

On my bard, Rangers are one of my favorite classes to duo with, and I love to have one in any group i am a part of.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Banned

Always play exactly who and what you want to play! All classes have their uses. All have their pro's and their cons as well [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Don't let anybody tell you "if you make a Erudite SK, you're worthless". Some people you meet will always take things too seriously. Ignore them. There isn't a single class in this game that's "worthless". Just have fun man!!
Old 06-29-2018, 12:14 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruptcy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just to hone in on this part, anyone who considers rangers useless in group dungeons is being willfully ignorant.

All of the drawbacks you noted are 100% true, BUT they have a huge toolbox from which to draw their skills tailored to many different situations. They are fantastic pullers, they can track farther than they can see, they can assist with CC with root, they have great snap aggro, and I could go on....

On my bard, Rangers are one of my favorite classes to duo with, and I love to have one in any group i am a part of.
I see, thanks so much for your response!
Old 06-29-2018, 01:02 PM
Kobold

I have played just about every class and race combination now and honestly agree with the sentiment "play what you want"

SK- I have leveled a troll and an erudite SK, the erudite leveled way faster(Warrens is awesome zone for SK) and I had a lot of armor choices available for the race(although fashion quest many were awful looking). My troll SK was great for the aforementioned bash and the regen. As far as grouping goes when a tank was needed neither one ever had troubles finding a group.

For the shaman I found they excelled in duos and were primary healer there, typically with an enchanter or necro as a partner. In groups I was usually a backup healer and primary buffer and slower of mobs.

For rangers, I agree with the previous poster, although they are poked fun at a lot the ranger is really enjoyable. I have been main puller in groups as having harmony, sow and ranged pulls and snares when done right works even better at splitting mobs than monks. You get to dual wield, bow kite and do some very minor healing or tanking if the need arises.

So play what you want and don't worry about prejudices.

hope that helps!
Old 06-29-2018, 01:12 PM
Sarnak

SK- I would go ogre for a lot of reasons. The stun immunity they have is ridiculously good. They have the best stats, full stop. They have slam. Every race can hotswap a shield to bash on demand, but having slam on the hotbar just saves a ton of effort.

Shaman- This is one of the most broken classes in the MMO genre, particularly on p99 where they have torpor and can solo almost anything. They are amazing solo, as group healers, as mandatory raid tank healers (again, torpor) and they are irreplaceable as buffers. They have other utility like pet tracking, potion making, spot healing, sowing, etc.

Ranger- The "useless" ranger meme is just a meme. Rangers outdps everyone except rog/war/~monk. They can root adds before they even get into camp. They're mandatory trackers. Denying the raw power of a ranger is just ignorant or an exercise in edgy meme-ology. There are a ton of classes that are basically 100% useless to stack in raids. Rangers aren't among them
Old 06-29-2018, 01:31 PM
Banned

P99 has spoken!!! Play what you want!! Enjoy yourself!! And personally- I love seeing classes and races matched up that you don't often see. Things like Erudite Pally's, Gnome Warriors. Human Casters. Female toons other than the wood elf/ dark elf/ high elf.. I'd say the rarest combo... Female Erudite Pally!
Old 06-29-2018, 01:47 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummyfish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If I decided to play another race for aesthetic reasons would I maybe get excluded from some groups even if I carried a sword/board for when I need to bash?

About how often would you say shamans are expected to be the primary healers? Is it a case of last resort "There's really just nobody else"? Or is it a more commonly expected role for them to fill?

Does this reputation translate to a bias against rangers in game? For example: will I have a hard time finding groups for dungeons as I level up a ranger?

You will not be excluded from groups as a shadow knight if you choose another race. You will be able to keep agroe on the mob and tank it. Which is your expected role.

Shamans are generally the primary healer only at lower levels...they don't get the best heal spells like clerics. But at level 60 you get torpor, an amazing heal spell.... Shamans are a great solo class and aren't dependent on groups. Their primary job is to buff group mates and debuff enemies, sometimes they heal when they have to.

Ranger certainly isn't the most high demand class and for a first character you won't have the gear to really shine....Hybrid classes used to have an exp penalty they shared with group (bard, shad, pal, ranger) but not anymore, so bias isn't so bad. You won't have as easy a time as a cleric or enchanter finding a group but you'll be able to find them.
Last edited by trite; 06-29-2018 at 02:02 PM..
Old 06-29-2018, 02:08 PM
Banned

If you don't care about min/max play whatever race you want, you'll still get into any group / raid.

Shaman are expected to heal when there isn't anyone else. Otherwise you're buffing / slowing / CC / etc.

Rangers are just kinda "meh." They aren't good tanks, most other melees do more dps, etc. If you're going to do small groups, fine....but in the big leveling treadmill zones where you'll have 4-6 people in each camp...you may be overlooked for a group invite.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
My favorite class so far is Shadow Knight but I'm somewhat concerned by some information I've seen on the wiki about how the "only races to play" for SK are Troll or Ogre, since they can bash with a 2h weapon. My question is: If I decided to play another race for aesthetic reasons would I maybe get excluded from some groups even if I carried a sword/board for when I need to bash?
No, you would not be excluded. Also, I believe you can bash with your 2 handed epic on any race. Trolls and Ogre have nice starting stats and racials, but you won't ruin your character by choosing another race.

Quote:
My second question is about Shaman. I really like the idea of a supportive class that works well pretty much everywhere and (most importantly for my personal tastes) can wear armor and cast spells, but I'm not super keen on being primarily considered a healer for grouping. My question is: About how often would you say shamans are expected to be the primary healers? Is it a case of last resort "There's really just nobody else"? Or is it a more commonly expected role for them to fill?
It's really a last resort situation. Usually there are enough clerics around or when one shows up, it's expected that they take over on healing.

Quote:
People joke around about Rangers being weak, but they're a solid addition to the group especially if you don't have a monk and need precision pulling. However, it's a good chance if a Ranger and Rogue are LFG at the same time, a group will more often than not, lean towards the Rogue.

Rangers don't use bows as much as they do in other games, but you can definitely find uses for them. You can bow kite while soloing. Pretty fun. Arrows also don't break root (not sure if that's changed though). You can also get items that summon arrows. Rangers are really fun to play and if you learn the class and use all the tools, you will impress your groups. Be ready to pull though, it's one main area Rangers shine.
Closed Thread