View Poll Results: What would you rather have:
Skill based PvP 36 50.00%
Random number generator based PvP 36 50.00%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:07 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehrmacht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I dunno what this guy is smoking but if we're talking about Kunark era, lures landed more like 100% of the time and snare landed 0-2% of the time. I played a pure melee then, if it landed 50% of the time, I would have re-rolled to another class instantly. Even if it landed 10% of the time, I still probably would have.

Of course there is. Mitigation based resist = no RNG for spell damage. The RNG for spell damage isn't what bothers me the most, it's all the other RNG variables that TZVZ introduced to PvP that didn't exist on EQ live.

Anyone that's half decent doesn't want their fights to be decided by if some retarded spell like blind landed on you or not. That's just not how EQ ever was. It's RNG based PvP and not skill based PvP.
I guess alot of spells were resisted back then and also did less than half its damage in pvp.
Last edited by ooantipostoo; 04-19-2011 at 10:10 PM..
Old 04-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Fire Giant

Dropping a tash on someone, and having root stick wasn't uncommon whatsoever for me back in the day. So I'm really failing to agree with this 0-2%, if by a generous standard we cause tash to create a 10% success rate. Just simply not true.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:31 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to wehrmacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooantipostoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I guess alot of spells were resisted back then and also did less than half its damage in pvp.
Probably because here's how a typical Kunark PvP fight went with average geared players (ie: no Tstaff). A random druid runs up and casts winged death & drifting death on a warrior/monk/rogue. The melee can do one of the following:

1) Ignore the dots and start attacking the druid then die to a combination of dots + damage shield as the druid spam heals himself. Kiting optional.

2) Dispell the dots while the druid just keeps recasting them over and over. A few minutes later, the druid is out of mana then runs off, you're also out of pumice now. He meds up then comes right back so you get to do the same fight again with no pumice. You probably were only able to bandage up to 50% hp too.

Even with barely any spells landing, casters were easily able to run people off if not outright kill them. Fights just lasted a lot longer than 30 second TZVZ fights. Every fight was an endurance battle.

Just running the other person out of your zone was usually considered victory. You usually had to of made some kind of huge mistake in order to be killed while playing a druid. Melee on the other hand could easily be killed by casters getting the jump on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koota [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dropping a tash on someone, and having root stick wasn't uncommon whatsoever for me back in the day. So I'm really failing to agree with this 0-2%, if by a generous standard we cause tash to create a 10% success rate. Just simply not true.
The word enchanter & tash was not mentioned anywhere in my post. If I got tashed, I ran away until it was cured. Root and snare would land if you were tashed. I think debuff spells on SZ also debuffed you by 150% of normal values. I just remember they were increased to be more effective than blue servers. Your magic resist would go from like 120 to 60.
Last edited by wehrmacht; 04-19-2011 at 10:46 PM..
Old 04-19-2011, 10:56 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehrmacht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Probably because here's how a typical Kunark PvP fight went with average geared players (ie: no Tstaff). A random druid runs up and casts winged death & drifting death on a warrior/monk/rogue. The melee can do one of the following:

1) Ignore the dots and start attacking the druid then die to a combination of dots + damage shield as the druid spam heals himself. Kiting optional.

2) Dispell the dots while the druid just keeps recasting them over and over. A few minutes later, the druid is out of mana then runs off, you're also out of pumice now. He meds up then comes right back so you get to do the same fight again with no pumice. You probably were only able to bandage up to 50% hp too.

Even with barely any spells landing, casters were easily able to run people off if not outright kill them. Fights just lasted a lot longer than 30 second TZVZ fights. Every fight was an endurance battle.

Just running the other person out of your zone was usually considered victory. You usually had to of made some kind of huge mistake in order to be killed while playing a druid. Melee on the other hand could easily be killed by casters getting the jump on them.

The word enchanter & tash was not mentioned anywhere in my post. If I got tashed, I ran away until it was cured. Root and snare would land if you were tashed. I think debuff spells on SZ also debuffed you by 150% of normal values. I just remember they were increased to be more effective than blue servers. Your magic resist would go from like 120 to 60.
or ignore all that....A necro walks up and snares then fears you...Fear was still in through almost half of kunark. So yah as a "pure melee" you were screwed if caught alone.
Last edited by ooantipostoo; 04-19-2011 at 10:58 PM..
Old 04-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to wehrmacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooantipostoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
or ignore all that....A necro walks up and snares then fears you...Fear was still in through almost half of kunark. So yah as a "pure melee" you were screwed if caught alone.
I hope that post was supposed to be a joke and not serious.

First of all, druid snare would land maybe 1 out of 50 or 100 casts if the target wasn't tashed or malod so your argument failed already. Second of all, I think necro snare had a double resist check due to having damage plus a snare so it probably landed even less.

Next, I don't remember if fear worked or not on TZ, I didn't play there that long, but I'm 100% positive it never worked on Sullon Zek.

So no, you were not "screwed" if alone on a pure melee. Why would anyone play a class that required someone to babysit you just to stay alive any time you're logged into the game
Old 04-19-2011, 11:38 PM
Orc

I played on VZ for 5 years, I liked the resist systems. Casters have every advantage in pvp and you have to make their spells about 80% resisted to even it out, or everyone just ganna be wizards druids and necros.

To melee like most spells landing are a death sentence, a single root or snare, or even like 2 nice dots ( even if they win they lose ).

p.s VZ was the only real pvp server F ALL YA'LL you dont know!

If you dont make things pretty easy to resist it will be all ice comets all day.

And everyone knows melee's make for better pvp then press a button and face them.

LoS is a balancing factor for melee's but in lots of situations its impossible.

A caster killing someone SHOULD leave them out of mana just as a melee would be out of hps. When you land a spell it should be like YES! got ya.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:01 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:

Fearing and charming players was removed before TZVZ was even released iirc. That and charm was nerfed pretty damn quickly on RZ.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Fire Giant

I used to charm people On tz and fear. I got to mid 20 when it got nerfed.

Bards could fear PC all the way up to kunark
Old 04-20-2011, 12:06 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koota [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fearing and charming players was removed before TZVZ was even released iirc. That and charm was nerfed pretty damn quickly on RZ.
I remember fearing people with my necro in overthere in front of skyfire.
Last edited by ooantipostoo; 04-20-2011 at 12:13 AM..
Old 04-20-2011, 12:11 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
I hope that post was supposed to be a joke and not serious.

First of all, druid snare would land maybe 1 out of 50 or 100 casts if the target wasn't tashed or malod so your argument failed already. Second of all, I think necro snare had a double resist check due to having damage plus a snare so it probably landed even less.

Next, I don't remember if fear worked or not on TZ, I didn't play there that long, but I'm 100% positive it never worked on Sullon Zek.

So no, you were not "screwed" if alone on a pure melee. Why would anyone play a class that required someone to babysit you just to stay alive any time you're logged into the game

I'm talking about RZ when saying all this, none of which servers you are speaking of.

Patches from July 2000 - December 2002

Stand Out Occurrences:
- New interface goes live (July 24)
- The Bazaar is introduced (July 24)
- Lifetappers no longer say "Ahhh... I feel much better now!" with every spell (July 24)
- Players are no longer susceptible to other players' fears and charms (July 24)

Stop blowing random garbage out of your ass. I will not respond to your next reply

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by ooantipostoo; 04-20-2011 at 12:25 AM..
Closed Thread