Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Skeleton

You want to rape the best EQ product ever to protest Luclin? If you are going to significantly alter an expansion, change the inferior one, not the superior one. Changes required to fix the issues most commonly associated with Luclin seem far far far far easier than skipping it and rewriting PoP.

1. Create 4 different Nexus in 4 different locations on the moon so they can't be used as teleports to the old world.
2. Overhaul the bane weapon issues.
3. Rename Vah Shir to Kerran.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goryani [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You want to rape the best EQ product ever to protest Luclin? If you are going to significantly alter an expansion, change the inferior one, not the superior one. Changes required to fix the issues most commonly associated with Luclin seem far far far far easier than skipping it and rewriting PoP.

1. Create 4 different Nexus in 4 different locations on the moon so they can't be used as teleports to the old world.
1. good point. I would probably connect it like this: (Spires to cities)

NK Spire - Nexus
WC Spire - Sanctus Seru
Gfay Spire - Kata Castalion
Tox Spire - Shar Vahl

put in a quest which has to be completed before any of the Spires can be accessed

2. Bane weapons/quest are cool concept, but it should not reacquire month long component camping and 300+ TS skill just to kill one and only raid mob in existence that actually needs it.

So make more bane-needed raids, but make bane weapon significantly easier to obtain - best to make it an Augment so it can be inserted into any weapon you like

3. mmm except they don't really look like Kerrans... so to be consistent you would have to replace real Kerrans with vah shir model
Old 04-15-2011, 07:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goryani [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Changes required to fix the issues most commonly associated with Luclin seem far far far far easier than skipping it and rewriting PoP.
The idea wasn't to rewrite PoP at all actually. The only thing you would have to do is place the important NPCs that are in PoK and PoT in to the old world zones. When you think about it there were a ton of NPCs in those 2 zones that were just vendors, a bunch of guild masters and other redundancies, and some were just roaming around to make the place feel more alive. In other words many NPCs can be completely left out instead of being relocated.

Quote:
If you don't have the moon you don't need teleporters to it.
Quote:
If you don't have the creatures on the moon, you don't need bane weapons for them.
Quote:
And you would still end up with cats on the moon.

-----------

Basically, the only reason I came up with the idea in the first place is because Nilbog and others hated Luclin all together. Since it's not my sandbox and I don't know the first thing about how to run a server why would I come up with an idea that would never see the light of day?

Of course even the idea in its current form will probably never see the light of day but it's fun to daydream.

Anyway, I still stand by the fact that by introducing Luclin you are introducing the Bazaar and cities that any race can roam around freely in by default which equals central hubs that everyone can congregate to with practically zero work or risk. This defeats the purpose of getting rid of the Plane of Knowledge. If you include places like Katta Castellum, Sanctus Seru, (and more importantly) Shadow Haven, The Bazaar and The Nexus then what's the point of leaving out PoK?

The lower level Luclin zones only serve to detract from all the lower level zones already available in Norrath. I highly doubt the server population would ever get so big that it would warrant adding those tons and tons of locations.

Basically the only reason Luclin worked was because The Nexus and those hub cities existed. Without them it's simply not convenient to adventure there.
The Nexus and those hub cities just so happen to be the cause of, what many agree, started the decline of Everquest.
On the flip side, The Planes of Power expansion was the epitome of MMO raiding and by simply changing the way you get to those zones you leave intact the original feel of Norrath. PoP was practically written as the last chapter of Everquest, where as Luclin felt like a major sidetrack.

Again these are all just my opinions and this thread is just a thought experiment. But it's one I put much thought into.
Last edited by guineapig; 04-15-2011 at 07:59 PM..
Old 04-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyway, I still stand by the fact that by introducing Luclin you are introducing the Bazaar and cities that any race can roam around freely in by default which equals central hubs that everyone can congregate to with practically zero work or risk. This defeats the purpose of getting rid of the Plane of Knowledge. If you include places like Katta Castellum, Sanctus Seru, (and more importantly) Shadow Haven, The Bazaar and The Nexus then what's the point of leaving out PoK?

The lower level Luclin zones only serve to detract from all the lower level zones already available in Norrath. I highly doubt the server population would ever get so big that it would warrant adding those tons and tons of locations.
you missing an important point here - if you going custom- this means you don't have just add a whole expansion "as is".
You don't want bazaar? - so block access to it - problem solved.

You don't want to create neutral faction hubs - put them on faction which has to be worked on. Seru btw is KOS to evil race/classes from the start

Don't want low end Luclin zones? Up their level [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
seriously, customization probabilities are limitless - you can turn on or block ANY specific zone you want
Old 04-16-2011, 02:15 AM
Orc

as far as the med-on-horse argument make it so you have to have your meditate skill to MAX to be able to meditate on them. also severely limit the amount of zones you actually can use your horse in.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:48 AM
Orc

am i the only one who liked luclin? back when luclin came out it was so amazing! i think the killing point for luclin was that PoP came out like 6 or 7 months after luclin did wich wasent enough time for MOST average players to really explore luclin and besides nexus and bazaar and some of the low lvl zones nobody really went to luclin after PoP. its the forgotton expansion imo becasue pop was rushed as a businuss move for sony to make more money.

i think the best way to keep evrybody happy is to mirror the server over keeping evryone's characters for the people who dont want to progress past velius. and then release luclin on an alternate server that is a mirror or the p99 server.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:04 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassracerx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
am i the only one who liked luclin?
just the thought of luclin, horses, char models, and the effing moon, make me want to quit eq all over again
Last edited by Vendar; 04-16-2011 at 06:31 AM..
Old 04-16-2011, 04:05 AM
Orc

eq all over again?
Old 04-16-2011, 04:17 AM
Orc

if all you want to do is raid the gods then why not have a way to do a quest to fight the god? the devs could implement a way for a quest to get your raid ported up to the plane? or in my opinion better have the devs bring the raid to the regular world? maybe even implement a way for two dieties to fight eachother with their armys like the frost giants vs the dwarves in the great divide? there would be different stuff dropped for different winners?
Old 04-16-2011, 05:49 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I guess if the portal was located beneath the city, "directly beneath where she died", that would be kind of fun.
Saryrn never actually died. Her commitment to causing suffering, her imagination and desire were so great, that she achieved divine apotheosis. She ascended, in other words.

I'm being even nerdier than before, I know. Don't care.
Last edited by Humwawa; 04-16-2011 at 05:55 AM..
Closed Thread