Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 05:50 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to wehrmacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
run from fights
We call that "the rexx"
Old 04-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwatt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
PVP is very nearly the antithesis of what EQ and multiplayer fantasy MMORPG is all about. Why create such a rich world when all of it becomes inconsequential in light of one antisocial sadist with a gleam in his eye? Why even play PVP in an environment that isn't designed for it?
I think adding the element of PvP greatly enhances the experience of EverQuest in many ways, for example;

Simple camps become exciting because of the unpredictable nature of what you may have to face. You can go deep into enemy territory where the penalty of dying can be harsh.

Being able to quickly mobilize a raidforce to take down big targets before your opponents have the chance to organize a counter-force to stop you.

Rivalry that builds up between players and guilds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwatt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
One line of rebuttal to my commentary would be to tell me to lighten up, because it's just a game. So it is, but I enjoy games of imagination, wonder and challenge, not games of brutality and insensitivity.
PvP does not retract from the games imagination,wonder or challenge (My opinion is that it greatly enhances the challenge). But yes I will give you that it attracts a certain kind of people, generally speaking more competitive people along with the behavior that normally comes with that crowd.

Quote:
I'll be very happy to see a red99 come into being, so as not have to deal with this kind of stuff. Track record for these types of servers isn't good though. No small wonder.
I'd be the first to concede the point that the PvE community is larger then the PvP one, and I don't think a Red version of p99 will ever be as popular as the original. That being said the track record for PvP servers haven't been that bad, and none of them have even come close to the quality of the code here on p99.

In short; I enjoy PvP-servers, and I'm perfectly fine with that you don't.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Fire Giant

dfn,

I took the time to write a very lengthy reply only to loose it because I had timed out and was no longer logged in. I can't bear to do it again. However, upon reflection, I realize that nothing I can say will sway you, nor you me.

Suffice to say that pure PVE and pure PVP games have two very kinds of atmospheres. I would call the PVP atmosphere toxic and annoying. You would call it challenging and fun. The one thing that is clear is that the two worlds and the two different types of people don't mix very well. Wait... that was kind of my point wasn't it?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Kobold

<-- I'm in the pro PVP corner. I think it adds more than it takes away. Also, it slows progression so that the developers here on P99 can take their time in getting ready for the next step.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
dfn,
Suffice to say that pure PVE and pure PVP games have two very kinds of atmospheres. I would call the PVP atmosphere toxic and annoying. You would call it challenging and fun. The one thing that is clear is that the two worlds and the two different types of people don't mix very well. Wait... that was kind of my point wasn't it?
I disagree. I believe the two must mix to create the best gaming environment. A strict PvP MMO becomes bland and old quickly. PvP needs PvE to survive, otherwise you're left with an FPS. There's a reason the PvP servers that let you summon gear and fight in the starting zones never lasted for more than a week.

In a game like Everquest, the addition of PvP adds new dynamics to the game that makes it an ever-changing and evolving game. One such dynamic is the importance of alliances and guild politics. Because of the current ruleset, one can be the biggest douche and achieve the same success as the rest.

Some of my best memories of live were on Rallos and watching guild dramas and wars unfold - then how chaotic everything became when a 3rd party enemy to both guilds appeared. Alliances were made and zones turned into warzones at times when highly contested bosses were spawned. This is something that simply can't be replicated on a PvE server. On p99 you can't even fight over bosses by trying to out dps the opposing guilds. You are simply left to the whims of the staff and their interpretation of a set of rules that is uncompetitive and caters to the gutless.
Last edited by Dfn; 04-07-2011 at 08:38 PM..
Closed Thread