Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 08:05 AM
Large Bat

Default Advice for a new EQ player.

I've never played EQ before, not even EQ2, so everything is new to me. I have a couple questions on how I should be starting out. I've decided to make a shadowknight seeing that I want to have a melee but also want to make use of a mana bar. I have also heard they can solo decently at lower levels. I have narrowed the race to either iskar or dark elf but I am open to other suggestions. So I guess my question would be which race would be better for a new player and how I should start out leveling, questing and getting gear.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:20 AM
Kobold

I'd advice iksar in favor of dark elf right now as there will be better grouping possibilities as an iksar now close to the kunark release. I realise you consider soloing, but I think you will find that grouping is more fun and more rewarding, especially as a SK. So roll up an iksar and head to Field of bone and later Kurns Tower - will be a blast. Welcome to EQ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Banned

prolly dont play is what i'd advise. This game is hardly worth attention even with nostalgia attached. It has not aged well.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Aviak

Well if I were you I would'nt listen to Japan.
I have 3 friends who started playing Eq on this server, had never played before, and so far are having a great time.

I would tell you to go with Iksar too because they have better starting stats for a shadowknight.
But in the end, it dosent really matter because with all the equipment you will get, it will even out...pretty much.
Hateshadow Lifebane, 67 necro of <Fleur de Lys>
Old 04-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Planar Protector

EQ1 is a GROUP oriented game - if you get your mind to accept that you will progress, accumulate power and treasures, and have fun, and raid, and kill dragons!

If you try to play it solo (even with a powerful solo friendly class like necro) - it will be XP grind > XP grind > XP grind > XP grind >>> boredom
Old 04-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Planar Protector

go with iksar, play and group and make friends. exp is super slow, just be ready for that. the game takes a long time to learn. everyone here has known this game for years.. but there is a good month-long learning curve i would say, until you have a good basic understanding of the game and how to play well. i remember the first time i played.. i didnt know how to exit the fucking game! lol. it was the "camp" button..

when red99 server comes out, you should be just about ready to experience pvp!
Old 04-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Planar Protector

Shadowknights receive an experience penalty and iksars add an extra penalty on top of that. This is going to make getting to high levels a slow process. In addition Iksars also are more limited on armor options.

However in return Iksars regen their hp faster which is a big plus, especially if you expect to spend some time soloing. If you are interested in doing some quests then the dreadscale quests are a great way to get some good iksar armor.

As others mentioned above you will level faster in groups as a shadow knight as well as find the game more enjoyable. A big part of EQ is the social aspect in my opinion.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Sarnak

I would play a Dark Elf because to me that is the "the" shadowknight race. It just defines the role better for me. So dark and awesome looking. They also get to wear plate armor which can be a huge plus.

Iksar get a 20%(?) experience penalty, and on top of the shadowknight penalty (40%?) it can become very slow. Yea, in Iksar land you can probably find better groups, but you can just get there on your own as a dark elf.

So basically you can deal with the problems of being a dark elf by running to kunark, but there isnt jack you can do about the extra penatly or not getting to wear plate.

(Yea iksar get 2hp more per 6seconds, but after level 10 Id say you really don't notice it anymore in groups).

Welcome to EQ by the way, home of the masochists.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Planar Protector

Iksar's regen is not 2hp extra at all levels. It increases with level and is +11 at level 60.

I would agree that you should not let starting location sway your decision. You can move to Kunark quickly enough if you really want to get to zones with higher population.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Orc

IMO being an race but ogre for a tank is foolish. They have incredible starting stats, and can't be stunned from the front, Which naturally will make starting without twink gear easier. This is also my first time playing eq but after getting over the rough start, everquest is easily the best game I've ever played! Good luck [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Hmend; 04-06-2011 at 03:18 PM..
Closed Thread