Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 12:49 PM
Kobold

Default Shaman Soloing - Spell Line Up

I have some general questions about spell line up for when you are soloing. I have an idea of what my spell line up would be once I hit 34 and am looking for some feedback from shaman's that solo often.

Canni
Winter Roar
Scourge
Targars
Enstill
Malaisment
Greater Healing
Gate

Now my questions are thus. Do solo'ing Shaman's usually keep a Gate up when solo'ing. Second, I have heard that some use blind while soloing. If so how do you work this in if you are intent on engaging the mob or are you using blind as part of your Root/Rot and change the spell line up.

I am wanting to make full use of my Shaman abilities to solo because I know they pretty much rock soloing.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:55 PM
Fire Giant

Get a Leatherfoot Raiders Skullcap for those "OMG I'm fucked!" moments rather than keeping Gate up since most of the time you won't get it off anyways...

Blind is like fear if you're not in melee range but given your DoTs do less damage when the mob is moving I wouldn't bother and just root rot.

Regards,
Mg

OMNI Officer (Retired from EQ)
Check out my P99 Hunting Guide!
Old 02-07-2017, 12:58 PM
Planar Protector

at 34.. If I recall correctly I was use my pet to slow tank.
@34 Companion Spirit is the pet.

canni, disease dot, slow, root, heal

Don't waste your mana using Enstill. Use root until you get Immobilize at 51 and then Paralyzing Earth at 51. I find that with roots breaking. That using plain o'll root will do you better in the long run.

malaisment is good for targets you know are prone to breaking root. It will help but not gurentee that roots wont break.

Keep stam, hp and sow buffs up at all times possible.
Also it will get easier once you hit 39 and get a poison dot.

open with a slow/mala, pet attack, dot, sit. root if needed.

Flash of Light is pretty useful in a bind. It will make the target wander around like it's feared kinda,.. if you're not near it when it lands.

Always keep gate mem'd if you think you're in for a risky situation or are in places you're not familiar with.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 02-07-2017 at 01:01 PM..
Old 02-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Paralyzing Earth at 51.
PE is 56 on a Shaman - perfect time to hit Howling Stones for massive xp 56-59 -- Mg

OMNI Officer (Retired from EQ)
Check out my P99 Hunting Guide!
Old 02-07-2017, 01:08 PM
Planar Protector

Charasis tanks outpost faction in OT. If that's ur thing.
51 to 60 duoing with a monk in sol b is the optimal choice.

I know this is a solo thread but I strongly urge you to consider duoing. You can do it with every class except cleric and wizard.
Make someone else do the heavy lifting. Sit back and toss a few buffs on them when needed. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 02-07-2017 at 01:12 PM..
Old 02-07-2017, 03:25 PM
Planar Protector

Shammy Ranger a fun duo too.
And the advice on the WC cap is right on. Buy two, one on an alt and park him near a convenient vendor that doesn't get used much. Give him some plat for buybacks. Oh shit cap out, then feel happy and go to your alt spot to recharge.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:26 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have some general questions about spell line up for when you are soloing. I have an idea of what my spell line up would be once I hit 34 and am looking for some feedback from shaman's that solo often.

Canni
Winter Roar
Scourge
Targars
Enstill
Malaisment
Greater Healing
Gate

Now my questions are thus. Do solo'ing Shaman's usually keep a Gate up when solo'ing. Second, I have heard that some use blind while soloing. If so how do you work this in if you are intent on engaging the mob or are you using blind as part of your Root/Rot and change the spell line up.

I am wanting to make full use of my Shaman abilities to solo because I know they pretty much rock soloing.
There is absolutely no point, whatsoever, using Malaisement at that level. It just doesn't offer the return in terms of efficiency. Also, most of the time, you probably don't want to be nuking mobs which is incredibly inefficient.

The lack of a decent Poison DoT really makes a huge difference to the Rot vs Melee balance in the 30s and you will be far better tanking the mob and letting your nice new pet add to your dps. With a decent 2h weapon (PWC ideally) you should outdamage your pet and require no other casts than Slow.

If the only cast you have to make per mob is Tagar, your efficiency is absolutely massive compared to a Rotter. You will kill faster with minimal downtime as long as you have good AC. But you will still have mobs where its more efficient to drop a Scourge, if they are tougher than the most efficient blues. A Rotter will kill much more slowly and probably still have a small amount of downtime afterwards (possibly moderate downtime if they choose to nuke on top, which they probably need to at L34).]

The most important thing to remember when levelling is the less you cast, the faster you level. This holds true for pretty much all set ups in EQ at all levels. So don't waste mana on HP buffs and other wastes of mana. Just keep SoW (outdoors), Quickness and Regen on you and Quickness on the pet.

Spells to keep memmed :-

Canni
Tagar
GHeal
Root
Scourge
Quickness**
Regen**

Free spell slot if you really do want Gate or a Nuke or hell, stick Envenomed Breath in there, its like Winters Roar for 33% less mana. At 39 stick Venom of the SNake in there or rotate Quickness/Regen still leaving a slot free.

** techncially you don't need to keep them memmed but, once you get into the rhythm you will be close to zero downtime so refreshing them live is much more efficient.
Last edited by EdTuBrutus; 02-07-2017 at 03:33 PM..
Old 02-07-2017, 03:35 PM
Kobold

Thank you all. These are some really helpful suggestions and tips. I have struggled all through my 20's with the Shaman and I don't want to give up on him. I really do enjoy the class.
Last edited by Munkh; 02-07-2017 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-07-2017, 03:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have struggled all through my 20's with the Shaman
You would; the class doesn't even start to come into its own until 29. Low level and the teens suck, and the 20's aren't great. From 29 onward Shaman life just keeps getting better and better with each new spell set.

Danth
Old 02-07-2017, 03:42 PM
Banned

if you're on blue, and any time you have gate meme'd and youre not casting it, youre a coward and I dont want to xp with you cus you're a coward.
Closed Thread